Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Denmark - Saturday, 13th October 2018 - UEFA Nations League

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Not sure if I agree with jbyrne on this one. I generally don't mind the performance if we get a result. I didn't expect us to win so I wasn't hugely disappointed with a draw but the performance from an attacking point of view was one of the worst I have EVER seen following Ireland. Three shots in the whole of 90 minutes in a home game (i.e. a shot ever 30 minutes). Even against Germany we had 5.

By the end of the game we only had one recognised central midfielder on the pitch. Are we now a Liechtenstein or Malta who only play for a draw against higher rated sides even when at home? We didn't press them. We sat back. Even McClean barely had a run at them. Yes, we kept a clean sheet but at what price? The "signing section" even lost their voice until awoken from their slumber in the last 5 minutes. We brought on a full back to replace Arter if I remember correctly. It was stultifyingly boring.

But eaten bread is soon forgotten and we move on to Wales who are also without their one world class player. Please put them under pressure. Do not respect them. Let's try and get the old tempo back. Don't allow their back 4 (5)(3) whatever time on the ball. I am not bothered whether it's hoof ball or poof ball or whatever. What I want is raise the roof ball.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    165 Posts
    It was poor on Saturday but unsurprisingly so, which in turn has led me to be surprised by the reaction. It was always going to be a backs to the wall to protect our goal and hope to nick one from a set piece type approach.

I think the 5-3-2 worked ok though as others have said it does not suit McClean. It is difficult to accomodate all of O'Neill's 'undroppables' in such a formation. I would consider the undroppables (assuming fitness) as:

Randolph
    Coleman
    McClean
    Duffy
    Hendrick
    Walters

Is O'Dowda now one too? I hope not. Maybe Brady when fit meets the criteria, and Christie seems to be edging into this territory - certainly when Coleman is not available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Saturday night was baaaaad. Even without Ericsson we were outplayed for most of the game by a very average Danish side. solid enough in defence to be fair but nothing in midfield and, despite Long working his socks off we created almost nothing. seemed as if both teams were happy enough to share the points.
    a bad result on Tuesday and I think MO'N should consider his position.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    We are going nowhere with O Neill, I'd love to see a change and a manager brought in that tries to play football.
    At the moment O Neill is managing to combine terrible football with terrible results.
    At least if we played football and had bad results you could enjoy the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post

Why even bother taking part in football tournaments if we don't try to play football? It's like showing up at the Olympic Diving competition and doing cannonballs. You'll get nowhere. .
    This is my fav analogy of Irelands current "football" team......Kudos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    We brought on a full back to replace Arter if I remember correctly. It was stultifyingly boring.
    Robinson came on for Arter, made a very positive contribution
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    It was poor on Saturday but unsurprisingly so, which in turn has led me to be surprised by the reaction. It was always going to be a backs to the wall to protect our goal and hope to nick one from a set piece type approach.

I think the 5-3-2 worked ok though as others have said it does not suit McClean. It is difficult to accomodate all of O'Neill's 'undroppables' in such a formation. I would consider the undroppables (assuming fitness) as:

Randolph
    Coleman
    McClean
    Duffy
    Hendrick
    Walters

Is O'Dowda now one too? I hope not. Maybe Brady when fit meets the criteria, and Christie seems to be edging into this territory - certainly when Coleman is not available.
    I don’t want to be too pessimistic about Walters but are we going to see much more of Walters in an Irish jersey ? Serious Injury , Old particularly for a forward ....It ain’t looking good .

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    I don’t want to be too pessimistic about Walters but are we going to see much more of Walters in an Irish jersey ? Serious Injury , Old particularly for a forward ....It ain’t looking good .
    Agreed, I added him as he had been a guaranteed starter up til this point. I would expect we'll see him once or twice more off the bench but that's about it...

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    We are going nowhere with O Neill, I'd love to see a change and a manager brought in that tries to play football.
    At the moment O Neill is managing to combine terrible football with terrible results.
    At least if we played football and had bad results you could enjoy the game.
    Fully agree. Even allowing for the limited resources (player wise) we have the current set up is dire. Time for a fresh face to try and maximize what (little) we have.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathalsmart View Post
    Either our players are as bad as the players from San Marino, Andorra, Lichtenstein, Malta etc or it’s the embarrassingly amateurish coaching staff, take you’re pick. The free kick that Cyrus Christie was supposed to receiving in the 2nd half sums up this coaching staff.
    Our players are as bad as, and I would suggest worse off technically in many cases, than the players of those countries you mention. That is to say that if you put them in a tight spot where optimal ball control is needed or a congested midfield where quick and incisive passing is needed, our lads, most of them anyway would come out second best. Noticable on Saturday that 3 of our best technical players, Williams, Horgan and Judge (not sure about his injury status) were not used.

And the free kick you are talking about - I know there were 3 they screwed up - neither O' Neill nor Keane was responsible for that poor execution

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Our players are as bad as, and I would suggest worse off technically in many cases, than the players of those countries you mention. That is to say that if you put them in a tight spot where optimal ball control is needed or a congested midfield where quick and incisive passing is needed, our lads, most of them anyway would come out second best. Noticable on Saturday that 3 of our best technical players, Williams, Horgan and Judge (not sure about his injury status) were not used.

And the free kick you are talking about - I know there were 3 they screwed up - neither O' Neill nor Keane was responsible for that poor execution
    If they were they wouldn’t be playing professionally... stop embarrassing yourself please.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Cathal, attack the post, not the poster

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    https://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.com/2...e-danish.html

Usual blog on match for anyone interested.
    Irish Football Blog - A False First XI - http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/

Twitter: @afalsefirstxi

To Follow on Facebook go to:https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Cathal, attack the post, not the poster
    Am I attacking the poster? I’m helping him not dig this hole any deeper.
    Fair to say he doesn’t watch San Marino, Andorra, Lichtenstein regularly enough yet is able to say their players (who are mostly amateur) are on par with players we have playing Championship level at least...cmon I know there are idiotic posts on here all the time but surely this is a new low?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathalsmart View Post
    If they were they wouldn’t be playing professionally... stop embarrassing yourself please.
    Embarrassing myself? Do you mean like those players who played on Saturday embarrassed themselves?
    Just to follow your logic - England had 'players playing professionally' between 1966 and 2018.
    It has taken them half a century to realize that the 'up and at em every ball a long ball approach' is only for the cavemen.

Let me go through the list of the players who played on Saturday.

Randolph - Decent keeper. Could also adapt to the modern game by offering himself as an outlet pass which keepers at top clubs are now doing.

Duffy - Hulk of a lad. You won't beat him in the air and he poses a threat from set pieces, but not equipped to build moves from the back a la the modern day intl defender.
    Kevin Long - A lesser version of Duffy with less experience and ability at this point in his career. Not likely to set the heather blazing by the looks of things.
    Keogh - Enthusiastic and commited to cause, but technical ability is not his strong point. Feels comfortable, like Long just belting it down Route 1.

Hendrick - Not creative in the least. Massive disappointment in a timid and collectively worthless midfield
    Arter - Tries hard and appears quite purposeful at times. But his worth, whatever it is, is stifled in such surroundings.
    Christie - Weak when attacked. Has shown some ability when going forward, but technical ability limits him also.
    Doherty - An ok performance on Saturday. Looks promising but too early to predict his future.

McClean - Heart on his sleeve as always. Has ability to take on a player but rarely in sync with teammates because he's a lone wolf trying to gin up performance levels among them.
    A player from a bygone era, just like the team he plays for.
    Shane Long - Does really well in the air for a man his size, but does literally nothing else. Hasn't scored for a long time - would be nice if he could even miss a few chances at this stage.
    Should not have started for Ireland for this or several games before it.
    O'Dowda - Promising player. Can take on and beat Championship defenders. Some potential there, but getting lost in sea of mediocrity at this point.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Embarrassing myself? Do you mean like those players who played on Saturday embarrassed themselves?
    Just to follow your logic - England had 'players playing professionally' between 1966 and 2018.
    It has taken them half a century to realize that the 'up and at em every ball a long ball approach' is only for the cavemen.

Randolph - Decent keeper. Could also adapt to the modern game by offering himself as an outlet pass which keepers at top clubs are now doing.

Duffy - Hulk of a lad. You won't beat him in the air and he poses a threat from set pieces, but not equipped to build moves from the back a la the modern day intl defender.
    Kevin Long - A lesser version of Duffy with less experience and ability at this point in his career. Not likely to set the heather blazing by the looks of things.
    Keogh - Enthusiastic and commited to cause, but technical ability is not his strong point. Feels comfortable, like Long just belting it down Route 1.

Hendrick - Not creative in the least. Massive disappointment in a timid and collectively worthless midfield
    Arter - Tries hard and appears quite purposeful at times. But his worth, whatever it is, is stifled in such surroundings.
    Christie - Weak when attacked. Has shown some ability when going forward, but technical ability limits him also.
    Doherty - An ok performance on Saturday. Looks promising but too early to predict his future.

McClean - Heart on his sleeve as always. Has ability to take on a player but rarely in sync with teammates because he's a lone wolf trying to gin up performance levels among them.
    Shane Long - Does really well in the air for a man his size, but does literally nothing else. Hasn't scored for a long time - would be nice if he could even miss a few chances at this stage.
    O'Dowda - Promising player. Can take on and beat Championship defenders. Some potential there, but getting lost in sea of mediocrity at this point.
    Now do the same for the San Marino team that started tonight.

19. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Thanks for that, could you please go through the San Marino,Andorran etc squads tell me about the players who are equal/better than our players, I genuinely and entrigued to find out how they are unable to pick up a professional contract yet the Irish players can.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts

When you have no alternatives then you’d have to play to their strengths . Losing Rice is devastating at this stage even though turning him into the Messiah was probably misplaced . We probably need two quality ball playing midfielders to play the way we would like to play . Sure every team could do with two like that .

After the O’Neill / Keane era is over we may have to admit that if we want to play watchable football then we have to understand that being within a shout of qualifying will be a long shot . If we want to have watchable football we have to realise thereby very well be repercussions .

22. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    When you have no alternatives then you’d have to play to their strengths . Losing Rice is devastating at this stage even though turning him into the Messiah was probably misplaced . We probably need two quality ball playing midfielders to play the way we would like to play . Sure every team could do with two like that .

After the O’Neill / Keane era is over we may have to admit that if we want to play watchable football then we have to understand that being within a shout of qualifying will be a long shot . If we want to have watchable football we have to realise thereby very well be repercussions .
    How are we playing to our strengths? before this game we conceded 9 goals in 2 games and the only reason Denmark didnt score was they were missing Eriksen.

I dont care about how watchable our football is as long as we are playing football. I dont know what ****e we are playing right now but it sure as hell isnt football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Unfortunately I think this is a real possibility too. We could have Stephen Kenny trying to introduce a nice brand of football and all of a sudden those disappointing home draws are feeble, soft centred defeats. We've appointed two managers who I think the majority of people were incredibly excited by and both have decided that a cave man approach is our best chance of being competitive. Maybe that's just a reflection of where both were/are in their own managerial careers, set in their ways, outdated, lazy, etc. but I think it's worrying nonetheless. These guys aren't as clueless as some would have you believe.

25. Thanks From:

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast