Thanked in
    3,196 Posts

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Will there be only One Team in Ireland by then ?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Should it transpire and Ireland qualify on merit, one ideal group would be with Brazil, Mexico and Japan.
    Brazilians and Mexicans in carnival mode day and night, we join in of course and the Japanese tidy up afterwards.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    About 2 and a half times fewer for the old LR, maybe less wastage these days with better design.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by punkrocket View Post
    About 2 and a half times fewer for the old LR, maybe less wastage these days with better design.
    Optimist!

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    12 games in Ireland, would the two Dublin stadiums support that? Or would they have to look elsewhere? You'd presume Pairc Ui Chaoimh, with seats put in, would be first on the list because of its urban setting and transport links (over, say, FitzGerald Park). All a bit pie in the sky all the same.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Pairc Uí Chaoimh would be too small without redevelopment. Needs to be 40,000 all seater at a minimum and its only 45,000 with the terraces.

Would have to be the two Dublin stadiums only I'd guess. They're far enough apart and well connected for it to be OK I think.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    Pairc Uí Chaoimh would be too small without redevelopment. Needs to be 40,000 all seater at a minimum and its only 45,000 with the terraces.
    I can see it being upgraded to an all-seater, and when the World Cup is over, the GAA closes it for "foreign sports" again. So the GAA would get a free upgrade paid by football money, and then it can't be used for football afterwards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    The GAA can f*ck off.

The World Cup bid can f*ck off.

Sort out football in Ireland before throwing silly money at a vanity project that will have no positive effects on the game here.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    The GAA can f*ck off.

The World Cup bid can f*ck off.

Sort out football in Ireland before throwing silly money at a vanity project that will have no positive effects on the game here.
    Unless Boris builds a Few Tunnels to Ireland and one around Ireland ~ ~ Why would we play ball ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    I imagine this bid might be facing even more of an uphill struggle after the scenes last night. Some awful stories going around.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    I hope this gets rejected. I want nothing to do with them and don't understand why we have to be involved with them anyway. Surely a Celtic Nations Bid would make more sense.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewayspasser View Post
    I can see it being upgraded to an all-seater, and when the World Cup is over, the GAA closes it for "foreign sports" again. So the GAA would get a free upgrade paid by football money, and then it can't be used for football afterwards.
    Oh it'll be used by football alright, maybe not soccer though

That's business. Why would the GAA bend over backwards for an amateurish organisation with a dodgy financial past?
    They have the assets, the FAI want them. Let's talk business.

If only the FAI took a leaf from how the IRFU and the GAA conduct their affairs, this mightn't even be an issue.
    Last edited by Fixer82; 13/07/2021 at 3:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    I hope this gets rejected. I want nothing to do with them and don't understand why we have to be involved with them anyway. Surely a Celtic Nations Bid would make more sense.
    Presumably any Celtic Nations bid wouldn't have the required stadia. Stadiums hosting group stage must have 40k capacity, quarters have 60k, and semis/final must have 80k.

Within Ireland, Scotland, Wales that leaves 7 stadiums, if you include the use of Croker, Murrayfield and Millenium stadium.

For reference, the expanded 2026 WC will have 16 stadiums across Canada, Mexico and USA.

Even if Cardiff City stadium got a 7k expansion for the occasion, the likes of the GAA got behind it and made Casement Park and Pairc Ui Chaoimh available, 10 stadiums would hardly be enough to host it.

As I've said before, we're better off running a mile from the idea, and especially after the scenes in London over the last few days.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Presumably any Celtic Nations bid wouldn't have the required stadia. Stadiums hosting group stage must have 40k capacity, quarters have 60k, and semis/final must have 80k.

Within Ireland, Scotland, Wales that leaves 7 stadiums, if you include the use of Croker, Murrayfield and Millenium stadium.

For reference, the expanded 2026 WC will have 16 stadiums across Canada, Mexico and USA.

Even if Cardiff City stadium got a 7k expansion for the occasion, the likes of the GAA got behind it and made Casement Park and Pairc Ui Chaoimh available, 10 stadiums would hardly be enough to host it.

As I've said before, we're better off running a mile from the idea, and especially after the scenes in London over the last few days.
    You're prob right.

In Ireland though, off top of my head: Lansdowne, Croker, Páirc Uí Chaoimh, Casement, Thomond Park, Pearse Park, Nowlan Park, Semple Stadium, Gaelic Grounds in Limerick, Fitzgerald Stadium...that's 10

Am i missing something? Is there a minimum capacity requirement?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Think you can only use one stadium in a city as well, although there are exceptions for places the size of London.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    You're prob right.

In Ireland though, off top of my head: Lansdowne, Croker, Páirc Uí Chaoimh, Casement, Thomond Park, Pearse Park, Nowlan Park, Semple Stadium, Gaelic Grounds in Limerick, Fitzgerald Stadium...that's 10

Am i missing something? Is there a minimum capacity requirement?
    The money required to get those stadia up to FIFA regulation or UEFA Cat 4 would be astronomical, and you're just effectively giving the GAA brand new stadia as a result and nothing towards football legacy.

Also, Thomond Park is far too small at 25k, and that includes terracing, so realistically it cuts to about 18k when you change that to seating. Only five grounds in Ireland give a capacity of over the 40,000 minimum required for a world cup anyway, and only two of those have more than 40k seats (Croker and Aviva).

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    The Gaelic Grounds and Semple aren't delapidated exactly, but they're nowhere near the requirements here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    The money required to get those stadia up to FIFA regulation or UEFA Cat 4 would be astronomical, and you're just effectively giving the GAA brand new stadia as a result and nothing towards football legacy.

Also, Thomond Park is far too small at 25k, and that includes terracing, so realistically it cuts to about 18k when you change that to seating. Only five grounds in Ireland give a capacity of over the 40,000 minimum required for a world cup anyway, and only two of those have more than 40k seats (Croker and Aviva).
    Ah didn't realise the minimum was 40,000. Is that a new rule?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Ah didn't realise the minimum was 40,000. Is that a new rule?
    Not sure how new it is, but tis within FIFA documents anyway. 30,000 is minimum for Euros, but that's 30,000 available public seats and guests, not counting media spaces, so presumably you're looking at a 35,000 seater there.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast