Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Weekend Fixtures April 30th to May 3rd

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    You'd have to assume it would be talked about for a generation of dundalk fans if they ultimately lose their club in the hands of the Americans, but doubt anyone else will discuss it to that degree.
    I had a goo(?) on the dundalk forum yesterday for sport - yer man pepsi reminds me of that iraqi general guy comical ali, the way he defends the peak6 guys of any criticism.  It's most amusing I must say.
    Pepsi is great crack to be fair, he went off on a rant a while ago about seeing Jonathan Roache walking out of abbotstown as clear proof of collusion between the FAI and Rovers. Peak 6 can do no wrong for him. I would suspect it is a peak6 employee tryig to put a brave face on things if it wasnt for the paranoia about Rovers that gos a bit beyond what id expect of a peak 6 mole.

As regards a generation looking back i think the Fillipo mess and all the other BS will be forgotten pretty soon, 2020 will be a FAI cup winning year and group stages EL, thats what people will remember.
    The focus on Dundalk as opposed to Pats is simply because DFC are a bigger story the last few years and its not just the pro licence its all the other Bill stuff as well.

Only 9 more games to go to see if Rovers can do it over a 36 game season
    Last edited by sbgawa; 04/05/2021 at 10:23 AM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
    Great to see that Rovers team who 'only won it after 18 games' and who people continue to insist aren't that good going into the history books breaking a 100 year old record for consecutive games unbeaten. Definitely a bit weaker without Jack and McEneff, but still a smashing side full of real winners who play fantastic football! Brilliant achievement!
    I think it was only one or two Dundalk fans were saying that in fairness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I think it was only one or two Dundalk fans were saying that in fairness.
    And Pat Hoban! as pointed out before whomever dismisses the truncated 2020 league also has to dismiss the truncated 2020 Fai Cup, they would also be complete hypocrites as not a hope in hell that if Dundalk won the 2020 season that it would be chalked off a roll of honour. Now if the motive in dismissing the 18 game season was to illicit outrage from a few Rovers reliables well fairy nuff

You have to take that point last night after being 2 nill down, but keeper clangers are just soul destroying for the team and fans. All hard graft undone in an instant and you are always playing on the back foot when a defense has no confidence in a keeper - sitting deeper, hoofing it clear so yer own keeper cant flap, taking on clearing a cross ball back in to the mix that would or should be claimed by the keeper, keeper and defender going for the same ball, and for the keepers who rely on confidence its just a downward sprial (People still call Taibi the blind venetian forgetting the MOTM and great career away from the negative spotlight in England). I wont say something like this often but I can understand how Rovers fans felt when relying on Chencinski and Horgan. At a quick guess we are probably 6 points worse off to basic keeper errors already.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 04/05/2021 at 2:11 PM.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I think the big problem for Dundalk at the moment seems to be that ye're stuck with those two options until the transfer window opens in what - June? July? So another month or two of dropping points, and teams will have spotted it too and might be more inclined to try a pot-shot. So quite probably more points to be dropped before it can be solved. And it might impact on Europe too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Chopping and changing doesnt help either imo. We have to manage with what we have for now so pick and stick!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Chopping and changing doesnt help either imo. We have to manage with what we have for now so pick and stick!
    I agree , its hard enough being a keeper without knowing if you make a mistake you will get dropped.
    DFC should just pick one and tell him he is in for 5 or 6 matches regardless

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    DFC should just pick one and tell him he is in for 5 or 6 matches regardless
    DFC should try picking both of them and see if that helps.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    🤦*♂️

Loving this,just loving it!
    People still mock an apparently falsely attributed comment by John Giles that claimed Rovers would win the European Cup.

Maybe you're new to things but football supporters generally remember and remind when it comes to ways other clubs have completely made a fool of themselves. It's part of the fun and Dundalk are providing oh so much at the moment.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    People still mock an apparently falsely attributed comment by John Giles that claimed Rovers would win the European Cup.

Thanks for cheering me up ontheonehand.

Giles quote from Magill interview in 1977.

"Ultimately, I want to win the European Cup with Shamrock Rovers. This may sound fantastic, but if you consider the amount of football talent there is [in Ireland], it isn't all that outrageous an ambition."

I still have nightmares over the infamous Bohs coach breakdowns on the way to Oriel in 1993 to "win" the league. Football fans remember everything about football, its all the other stuff of life that are sometimes conveniently forgotten.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Thanks for cheering me up ontheonehand.

Giles quote from Magill interview in 1977.

"Ultimately, I want to win the European Cup with Shamrock Rovers. This may sound fantastic, but if you consider the amount of football talent there is [in Ireland], it isn't all that outrageous an ambition."

I still have nightmares over the infamous Bohs coach breakdowns on the way to Oriel in 1993 to "win" the league. Football fans remember everything about football, its all the other stuff of life that are sometimes conveniently forgotten.
    Frustratingly good detective work there. Don't suppose you have a good link to a picture or record of the Magill interview? I was hoping Bill Hulsizer was alone in admitting ambitions of European Cup glory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    First google of it

Ultimately I think this proves that these things will be remembered for generations by fans of your main rivals, if you have any. The rest of us have all moved on.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    First google of it

Ultimately I think this proves that these things will be remembered for generations by fans of your main rivals, if you have any. The rest of us have all moved on.

Ah no, for example, I can name maybe 6/7 UCD players on the cup winning team 1984, no connection to who they beat on the day

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Ah, but can you name the Dublin City team who beat someone there about 15 years back?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Ah, but can you name the Dublin City team who beat someone there about 15 years back?
    No more than two or three, obviously the shorter term memory is a bit suspect. I will have completely forgotten about Peak 6 and Bungling Bill by the time the Euro check clears into their US accounts at the end of the year.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    First google of it

Sure that's riddled with spelling errors. Clearly a bohs fan wrote that.

You're right on rivals having longer memories of course. I've been working on a chant about Bohs playing scabs during the 1913 lockout for example. My point though, "generational" hyperbole aside was that the situation at Dundalk eclipses the one at Pats in terms of scope. The Pats situation is mundane and hardly newsworthy. Dundalk's period of dominance will be rightly talked about for a long time but with the story will come the caveat of what happened next. Right now that looks like a comical and even cautionary tale although who knows, maybe they appoint a new manager, go win the Champions League during another decade of domestic dominance and this is all just a bad dream for their fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    There is worse than getting a slagging from rival fans and thats never getting a slagging from other clubs fans. I take it as a back handed compliment as it must have really rankled prior. Fwiw I dont think Dundalk are done and dusted after a period of generally dominating, a signing or 2, maybe a change to strength and conditioning programme, and a good managerial appointment and we'll move onwards and upwards!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    There is worse than getting a slagging from rival fans and thats never getting a slagging from other clubs fans. I take it as a back handed compliment as it must have really rankled prior. Fwiw I dont think Dundalk are done and dusted after a period of generally dominating, a signing or 2, maybe a change to strength and conditioning programme, and a good managerial appointment and we'll move onwards and upwards!
    100% this, If DFC had a competent goalie they would be in the top 3.
    That will get solved by the new manager first item on the agenda.
    Depending on what happens between now and July it might be to late for a league tital push but Europe is the priority and that doesnt start until July

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    They aren't done and dusted at all and it looks like a simple fix. They biggest budget should result in more trophies. Sign Brian Murphy and give the tea lady the clipboard and you'd be climbing the table in no time. Will Bill's ego allow it though?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    They aren't done and dusted at all and it looks like a simple fix. They biggest budget should result in more trophies. Sign Brian Murphy and give the tea lady the clipboard and you'd be climbing the table in no time. Will Bill's ego allow it though?
    Filipo did us a huge favour on that by resigning and took the decision out of Bills hands, he has to appoint a new manager but this time options will be presented by JM rather than maybe an agent with an agenda or someone in the US that thinks that football is all transferable skillsets with no local eccentricities. It's not nailed on that the next manager will be a success but at least they will be qualified as required, will possibly have applied so want the job not parachuted in. There's something of continuity with coaching staff so no having to wait and see what a favoured 1st 11 is or to discover keeper liability. There is 'investment' in the business side of things and the academy which again is no certainty but indicates longer term thinking by the owners and yeah the biggest budget tends to, eventually at least, rise to the top - I dont see that as a stick to beat a club with not the 4th biggest budget or a badge of dishonour if the trophies/cups/bowls keep on rolling in with EL groups every couple of years!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    I think they won before in the LC.

Hard to disagree with the result tonight. Harps were certainly the better team for lots of the match, and took their chances.
    Ourselves on the other hand, looked panicked on the ball, made some basic passing errors, and when we actually created chances, failed to take them.
    We're crying out for some more experienced players in the team, but they won't come until the summer (if at all).
    Still, it's an improvement from where we were a couple of weeks ago, and with Waterford's apparent collapse, relegation seems less of a concern.
    Don't see that Derry team finishing any higher then 7th if they don't bring some experience in during the summer
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast