International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Derry sign goalkeeper

From BBC:

Derry sign goalkeeper Roberts

Derry City have signed former Middlesborough and Charlton goalkeeper Ben Roberts on a short-term deal.

The 31-year-old, who has been on trial at the Brandywell, played for Boro in their FA Cup final defeat by Chelsea at Wembley in 1997.

A back injury forced Roberts to retire in 2005 but he has recovered and is aiming to return to action.

"He's a good keeper and communicator and he'll keep our other two keepers on their toes," said City boss Pat Fenlon.

"He has done very well in training and he is an experienced goalkeeper, so he's a good addition to the squad," Fenlon told the club website.

"There's competition for places and he'll have to fight to get into the team."
    Roberts, who made 26 appearances in seven season at Middlesborough, also played for Luton and Brighton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    A back injury forced Roberts to retire in 2005 but he has recovered and is aiming to return to action.
    Any pay-off involved? Insurance company would be looking for something if they were involved at any stage.
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    He's ok to sign because he hasn't had a club in so long, right?
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry The Saint View Post
    Any pay-off involved? Insurance company would be looking for something if they were involved at any stage.
    AFAIK Not if he is playing part time football and playing outside of the UK. Both facts disputable though
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    No compensation was ever paid out for him.........

From a Brighton Newspaper:

Original article here.

Ben Roberts today thanked Albion for helping him to the brink of the Champions League.

The former Seagulls and Middlesbrough keeper is due to make his debut for Eircom League of Ireland outfit Derry City at the weekend.

That could lead to a European spot when the Champions League qualifying rounds start in July.
    advertisement

Roberts, Albion's keeper in their play-off success three years ago, was forced into retirement by a back injury in 2005.

But he has since made a steady recovery, helped by a period away from the game, treatment, rehab and training with Albion goalkeeping coach John Keeley.

He said: "Everybody at Brighton was really helpful. They couldn't do enough to help me back on my feet.

"I've been with them two days a week since November, going in two days a week, right up until I came to Derry.

"I've kept Keelo informed all the way along. He has been a huge help to me, both physically and mentally.

"He has kept me right and, when there have been times maybe I've wanted to push on too quickly, he has held me back.

"He knows me as a person and as a keeper and that helps."

Roberts did not take an insurance pay-out when he retired so he could play again for an English club, including Albion, for whom he kept a series of cleansheets in the 2003-04 promotion run-in.

He said: "I don't know where the reports about the insurance came from. I didn't take any payment so there's no restriction on where I can play.

"But I've got no plans because I need to see how the body holds up.

"Just to be training every day is great. I'm here until the transfer window in Ireland at the beginning of July.

"Then I'll see how I feel and how the club feel."

Derry are currently off the pace in the league, which runs through the summer, but were runners-up in 2006.

Champions Shelbourne decided not to apply for a UEFA licence, clearing the way for Derry to play in the Champions League.

Roberts, 31, was a spectator at last night's televised league game with Shamrock.

His debut could come on Saturday at Longford, scene of Albion's infamous pre-season battle in 2001.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfc_1928 View Post
    Roberts, 31, was a spectator at last night's televised league game with Shamrock.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    From CityWeb:

Goalkeeper Ben Roberts has informed the club that the injury he picked up shortly after signing has not cleared up.

Although Derry City FC hold his registration until the opening of the transfer window in July, Ben will not be expected to return to the Brandywell.

It is extremely unfortunate, as Ben had looked very promising in training and has been extremely honourable and honest in all his dealings with the club.

Everyone at CityWeb would like to wish Ben the very best for the future.
    They'll probably start going after Quigley now.