Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: John Sheridan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Good to see Sheridan back in management and good luck to him at Chesterfield:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...370762,00.html

I expect him to take the reins at Hillsboro some day and then perhaps......
    I second that
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Just read now that he was named LMA Manager of the Year for npower League Two!

http://www.chesterfield-fc.co.uk/pag...365629,00.html
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Just got the boot after 4 games, despite winning the Johnstones Paint trophy last season. Crazy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19396772
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Disappointed to see that. I think the problem was not just the 4 games but they were relegated last season. I had high hopes for John as he had done reasonably well with both Oldham and Chesterfield and I thought he was going to go further in his managerial career. I won't write him off yet though.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    ugh, don't know why I do this, but anyway, I've been trying to track down as much online videos of John Sheridan as I can. I've followed his managerial career as much as I can, and he's doing quite well down at Plymouth, they've had a very good start to the season, and Sheridan is up for Manager of the Month. I'd love to see him work his way up to Championship.

I didn't really get to see much of him at club football. Bloody hell Sheridan was a sweet ball player, and scored some absolutely smashing goals down through the years. a Player of his ability in the middle of the pitch now would be fantastic.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Sheridan was a beautiful footballer. Great technique, could spot a pass and really could belt a ball too
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Himself and David Kelly were idols of mine growing up.

John was a cracking player.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Kelly was a bit unlucky not to play a bit more.
    As was Sheridan actually until the '94 qualifiers.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Himself and David Kelly were idols of mine growing up.

John was a cracking player.
    Were you an unused bit part player as well then? They were your inspiration. :P

I think there is a bit of revisionism going on here.Sheridan wqs good but nothing above that.breaking into top clubs for our players was easy enough back then, and many of our better players did.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Phew. I was worried you'd not get involved here.

Thanks for fixing my memories.

:P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I think that's extremely unfair on Sheridan. I always associated him with Wednesday, but only relatively recently twigged he'd a long career with Leeds. Obviously he was part of the Leeds downcycle, so you'd assume he was average enough. I looked into a bit further and it seems that he was a shining light for 4/5 seasons and stayed extremely loyal to Leeds when he had offers of First Division football, but then that clown Wilkinson took over and shipped him off.

The likes of Owlsfan and Stuttgart would probably know, but would Sheridan fit into the catagory of "luxury player" by English first division/premier league standards? I wonder would he have been more suited to modern football, where there is a greater acceptance of pure ball players in the middle of the pitch.

Certainly from looking at some of his goals, we have nobody of a goal threat like that in midfield at present, or with the same ability over the dead ball. His goal against Charlton in the Playoff final was an absolute peach, and Le Tissier obviously took a look at one of Sheridan's free-kick routines, where the ball was rolled back, Sheridan flicks it up for himself and volley

also this highlights reel:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7yxy7F_l4Q
    Last edited by Kingdom; 07/11/2014 at 10:12 AM.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Well if you're comparing him to what we have now, he was exceptional. If you're comparing him to what we had back then, he was no more than good. I'd have to agree with Paul that although he was a lovely, tidy footballer he wasn't top class. At that time we had a good few who were. That's not knocking the guy at all by the way, I enjoyed watching him as much as the next man.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 07/11/2014 at 10:41 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Out of interest, how did Sheridan qualify? I see he played for us at under-19 (including the 1982 and 1983 European Under-18 Championships) and under-21 levels before playing senior.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Well if you're comparing him to what we have now, he was exceptional. If you're comparing him to what we had back then, he was no more than good. I'd have to agree with Paul that although he was a lovely, tidy footballer he wasn't top class. At that time we had a good few who were. That's not knocking the guy at all by the way, I enjoyed watching him as much as the next man.
    i think Charlton didn't really fancy his type of player. Mike Milligan was another who could have thrived if he was at his best during the Mick McCarthy era. I remember before the WC in 1990 Barry Davies saying in his commentary of an Oldham game that Ireland must have some very good midfielders if he can't get in our squad. He was a very cultured player in a team that more than held his own, but lacked the physicality that Charlton liked. Arguably at least as good a player as Kinsella. Same too of Sheridan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Kelly was a bit unlucky not to play a bit more.
    As was Sheridan actually until the '94 qualifiers.
    Sheridan's goal against Spain (to make it 1-3) ultimately qualified us for the 1994 WC. Without it, Alan McLoughlin's equaliser at Windsor would have been pretty worthless. I just read (while looking for his Irish connection) that he didn't start any of the qualifiers in that campaign though, which I found slightly surprising, although I knew that he only came on in that Spanish match. We did have Roy Keane by then of course, as well as Townsend and Houghton.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenScene
    36. John Sheridan
    Caps: 32
    Goals: 5
    International Career: 1988-1995
    Position: Centre Midfielder
    Clubs: Manchester City, Leeds United, Nottingham Forest, Sheffield Wednesday, Birmingham City, Bolton Wanderers, Doncaster Rovers, Oldham Athletic
    Club Stats: 621 games, 89 goals
    Although none of his goals could be considered to have been the decider in any competitive game, John Sheridan’s strike against Bolivia in a 1-0 friendly victory in 1994 was the 100th ever Irish goal at Lansdowne Road. During the eight years, Sheridan played for Ireland, he controlled the game from midfield, and impressed Jack Charlton enough for the boss to start him in all of our games at World Cup 1994, even though Sheridan had started none of the qualifiers. He hit the bar against Italy in the opener, but more importantly, his late goal after coming on as a substitute in the qualifiers against Spain, making the score 3-1 rather than 3-0, meant that Ireland qualified for the USA on goal difference. He was again a starter for Euro 96 qualifying, but retired gracefully after the playoff defeat to Holland.
    GreenScene - List of best ever Irish players

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    That was a depressing game, but my mates and I knew immediately how important Sheridan's goal was at the time. Anyone who grew up during the Hand era has a special part of his brain dedicated to real-time group permutation and goal difference calculations. It's beside the part of the brain that makes the same people always look to the linesman's flag when we score a goal, no matter who clear cut it looks.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    That was a depressing game, but my mates and I knew immediately how important Sheridan's goal was at the time. Anyone who grew up during the Hand era has a special part of his brain dedicated to real-time group permutation and goal difference calculations. It's beside the part of the brain that makes the same people always look to the linesman's flag when we score a goal, no matter who clear cut it looks.
    I wasn't old enough to be able to make such whizzbang calculations but I was acutely aware of it by the time the night in Belfast came around.

My only memory of watching that Spain game was as you said yourself, how bloody depressing it was. It was the biggest defeat at that stage I had witnessed as an Irish fan. Little did I know what was trundling down the line.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Didnt Rte show the last 10 minutes or so of that Spain v Denmark game and the save right at the end from a corner? I remember being down in the neighbours house and then coming up to the house and watching in a litle portable TV in the "good/vistors room".

I also have a memory of watching rugby around the same time when Ireland lost 6-3 to wales and no one had any interest in Rugby, and how ****ed off I was that "we had come to this", in my few years of watching rugby i had still fortrightly declared that statement.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Didnt Rte show the last 10 minutes or so of that Spain v Denmark game and the save right at the end from a corner? I remember being down in the neighbours house and then coming up to the house and watching in a litle portable TV in the "good/vistors room".
    If they put you in the good visitor's room, I wouldn't want to have seen the bad visitor's room!

Cañizares was inspired that night after Zubizarreta's complete brain-fart early on.

'Twas the worst moment in Danish history (not just footballing or sporting), ever, apparently...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    We called it the parlour. No doubt a boudoir in your house.

---

Yeah I recall RTÉ doing that. I watched the game in my Grandad's room as I tended to do with all sports around that time. Even at 9yoa I was still a cranky fecker when it came to Ireland games.

I also have a memory of watching rugby around the same time when Ireland lost 6-3 to wales and no one had any interest in Rugby, and how ****ed off I was that "we had come to this", in my few years of watching rugby i had still fortrightly declared that statement.
    I have a vague recollection of being like that as well. I could never handle any Irish defeat. I was obviously optimistic once. I never knew at that stage we were relatively gash at rugby.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast