Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Mick McCarthy

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    I reckon its all about the bottle and the flow of penelties (ie whats happened previous to the one you're taking).

I think I read something after Celtic beat Spartak on penelties to enter this seasons Champions league about how the penelty takers were selected. Rather than say 'who fancies it then?' or 'sort it out among yourselves, it's a lottery' , Strachan picked the kickers himself and told them they were taking a penelty.

It's an interesting alternative approach to take than the scenarios mentioned above and I think would give the takers themselves a bit of confidence. Would Irelands takers against Spain have been different/ performed any differently???
    The dude abides....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottle of Tonic View Post
    I reckon its all about the bottle and the flow of penelties (ie whats happened previous to the one you're taking).

I think I read something after Celtic beat Spartak on penelties to enter this seasons Champions league about how the penelty takers were selected. Rather than say 'who fancies it then?' or 'sort it out among yourselves, it's a lottery' , Strachan picked the kickers himself and told them they were taking a penelty.

It's an interesting alternative approach to take than the scenarios mentioned above and I think would give the takers themselves a bit of confidence. Would Irelands takers against Spain have been different/ performed any differently???
    Im pretty sure Kevin Kilbane would have been a long way down the list after his miss earlier in that game. No.11 after Shay Given.
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    It looks all over for Mick at Wolves. He got serious abuse today from the Wolves fans.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    It looks all over for Mick at Wolves. He got serious abuse today from the Wolves fans.
    Mick will get another job if he's sacked. It just won't be with us.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Jeez, where were they when he took over!

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    Practice makes perfect. If I was a professional footballer and I entered a competition which involved penalty shoot outs I'd want to practice. It's impossible to replicate the crowd and the pressure but you can make sure your striking the ball correctly and work on trying to feint the keeper.
    Agreed.

Practicing enough about the mechanics of penalty taking - placing your foot correctly, knowing how hard you can hit the ball while retaining accuracy, etc - these can be improved in practice, so there is one less concern when taking a penalty when it matters.

I'd say a player who has practiced these things is less likely to miss than a player who hasn't.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Mick will get another job if he's sacked. It just won't be with us.
    From todays Sunday Indo
    If the opposition to Venables' candidacy resurfaces, or there are some unforeseen problems in contract negotiations, then Mick McCarthy is the most likely alternative, having also performed well at his interview. Gerard Houllier is understood to have been ruled out as the FAI were not prepared to pay substantial compensation to the French Football Federation.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Gerard Houllier is understood to have been ruled out as the FAI were not prepared to pay substantial compensation to the French Football Federation.
    Won't be a problem. At the speed the FAI move he will be out of contract anyway.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post
    Won't be a problem. At the speed the FAI move he will be out of contract anyway.
    Are you suggesting that the FAi are about to start a new trend of appointing managers at the end of campaigns? A new "One Day Contract". A perpetual caretaker manager who is payed in grocery coupons. Then finally a big name brought in for one day. This has legs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Has anyone seen the sunday tribube today??
    It has listed all perspective managers for the ireland job written by Miguel Delaney. On Mick McCarthy it stated on cases against "at the risk of opening pandora's box, he would be down one very signifigant world class player"
    Anyone shed any light on this ??

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aidz1 View Post
    Has anyone seen the sunday tribube today??
    It has listed all perspective managers for the ireland job written by Miguel Delaney. On Mick McCarthy it stated on cases against "at the risk of opening pandora's box, he would be down one very signifigant world class player"
    Anyone shed any light on this ??
    I did not read the article. It could mean that the success of his last WC campaign was down to a world class player (as opposed to himself). And given he is now managing Sunderland will not be available for active duty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Bad night for Mick last night, dumped out of the FA Cup by a non-league side and to a late late goal - he seems to suffer more than most to these late goals. When he took over Ipswich, they were bottom of the Championship and with no money to spend he had them fighting near the top of the Championship the next season. This season has been more of a struggle but with the shoe string budget, he has still done a great job. I am sure many myopic Ipswich fans will call for his head but they should be careful what they wish for. Coventry City comes to mind.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Don't downplay what the mighty Red Imps achieved last night!

I actually expected Mick to get the heave ho after the result. But then again, Marcus Evans really doesn't give a crap what the fans think.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Bad night for Mick last night, dumped out of the FA Cup by a non-league side and to a late late goal - he seems to suffer more than most to these late goals. When he took over Ipswich, they were bottom of the Championship and with no money to spend he had them fighting near the top of the Championship the next season. This season has been more of a struggle but with the shoe string budget, he has still done a great job. I am sure many myopic Ipswich fans will call for his head but they should be careful what they wish for. Coventry City comes to mind.
    Usually these things (late goals) are a 50/50 affair, score/concede and Ipswich are no exception, that is until this season when it just so happens that Ipswich have pulled off a spree of late goal game changers including one against that team from Sheffield
    The thing about Mick is, regardless of Ipswich's decision or the fans' myopia, he would pick up another job handy enough with a more ambitious club. I'd even be okay with him in charge of Ireland.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Usually these things (late goals) are a 50/50 affair, score/concede and Ipswich are no exception, that is until this season when it just so happens that Ipswich have pulled off a spree of late goal game changers including one against that team from Sheffield
    The thing about Mick is, regardless of Ipswich's decision or the fans' myopia, he would pick up another job handy enough with a more ambitious club. I'd even be okay with him in charge of Ireland.
    Mick for Taoiseach...........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Mick for Taoiseach...........
    President maybe but I don't think he'd be diplomatic enough for that job.

His record is impressive at Ipswich

Mick McCarthy 02 Nov 2012 - Present Won: 83, Drawn: 63, Lost: 68
    Last edited by OwlsFan; 20/01/2017 at 3:03 PM.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah, he could go shooting his mouth off about what a great fella Fidel Castro was or something.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Yeah, he could go shooting his mouth off about what a great fella Fidel Castro was or something.
    Mick would probably think he was the left full for Mexico.

23. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Cardiff, unbeaten in 10 matches, have awarded Mick a two-year deal at Cardiff.

How near would Kenny get to the job? Would he be within the top-50 candidates? Top 100? Top 200?

All academic.We are we're we are, I guess...

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast