Page 62 of 177 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 3522

Thread: Stephen Kenny

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Great coaches do not always make great managers either. Not saying it's the case with Barry but it's not safe to assume that he would thrive with the additional responsibilities and pressures that come along with being a manager

2. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lofty9 View Post
    Your hypothesis fully questions Duffer's coaching capabilities, and I'm not having that either.
    Remind us of his coaching abilities/achievements at senior level.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    428 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Is Duffer doing any coaching now or at any high level ?
    With Shelbournes U17s. Wonder how long before he walks from there.

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    428 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    Great coaches do not always make great managers either. Not saying it's the case with Barry but it's not safe to assume that he would thrive with the additional responsibilities and pressures that come along with being a manager
    He'll definitely go into management. I know Fleetwood approached him but think other League One clubs approached him too but wanted to stay at Chelsea a bit longer to work with Tuchel.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    It's a well put together article alright. I think the hiring of Barry and the shift in style shows Kenny is pragmatic and hasn't let himself be tied down to idealism. I wouldn't rule out the 4-3-3 making a return at times, as well as playing it short more often, but the current shift is starting to get some the results and confidence that are needed to play the more idealistic way, if that makes sense. Even with the return of the more direct approach, Bazunu's ability to deliver what's actually a long direct pass, rather than a punt upfield is critical to the effectiveness. Even the more hurried clearances seem to be directed into slightly better areas a lot of the time, although I think there's still work to be done there. We still look vulnerable in the middle, Cullen has improved things, but we're crying out for another enforcer type to dominate things a bit more.
    The flipside of that is, its taken kenny a year and a half to realise what his best formation and team is - and I dont put that down to covid, he stated he wasn't enamoured with 3 at the back. He has learnt on the job, and that's only fuelling the "he's not experienced enough to be national team manager" arguments. As you pointed out, the shift in play and the move to a more hybrid system has reaped rewards, its shown that when you might have more than just a hammer and you;ve definitely got more choice than just nails. Question can only be asked where would we be had he seen this before as some of us suggested way back. Could we have beaten Slovakia with a more tried and tested method? Would we still be in contention for WC playoff place? Was kenny too inexperienced to take over and needed the 17 games in to get it right and fit in? And would any other manager have been afforded the same time? I believe the first 2 are definite yes'. And i believe he was lucky in the last question because of covid and all the other things that came before and since.

Azerbaijan having 64/65% possession the last day did not bother me one iota. Overrunning us in midfield did though, it reminded me of cyprus away especially in the first half. Two goals, one very fortuitous and another one id say the same given how he was falling, and again the outcome could have been very different. But its a 3-0 win and its away from home so you cant be too negative.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    But its a 3-0 win and its away from home so you cant be too negative.
    You can certainly give it a good try through.

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    428 Posts
    "Could we have beaten Slovakia with a more tried and tested method?"

You do know poor finishing is what let us down in Slovakia. Hourihanes inability to tap the ball home from what five yards out and he barely pussy foots it at goal.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Exgrad View Post
    You can certainly give it a good try through.

I could but I chose not to. ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Remind us of his coaching abilities/achievements at senior level.
    Integral to Lennon completing the treble treble. That's senior enough for me. Badly missed in Glasgow.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    https://punditarena.com/irish-footba...ijan-analysis/

Callum Robinson understood his assignment to a tee, James McClean looked a natural at left wing-back and Josh Cullen was no different in front of the back three. The bedding-in period hesitancy is morphing into certainty as chemistry improves. Perhaps Matt Doherty wasn’t lying when he said this Ireland team is ‘coached brilliantly’.
    On a separate note, there is a +10 minute highlight package of the Azerbaijan game on the FAI channel. I watched it because i was having difficulty remembering - from watching the game live - all this long ball stuff that people are saying we have now switched too. The quality of passing football and freedom of expression in that ten minute highlight reel is phenomenal; even against a team like Azerbaijan. I cannot remember too many similar performances under previous regimes.

14. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    What kind of absolute garbage is this?

So the man Kenny had the foresight to appoint, his presence is a reason Kenny would be gone?
    Kenny appointed Damien Duff. If Duff had remained, Kenny would be fired by now. It appears that Anthony Barry has taken over in terms of style of play, formation and set pieces. Has Kenny had to admit his tactics/4-3-3 weren't going to cut it at international level?

You have to give Kenny credit for admitting his failings if that's the case. But why keep him if he's clearly not up to it at this level? Let the man capable take over. Is Kenny in charge of team selections? Does he do the team talks?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lofty9 View Post
    Your hypothesis fully questions Duffer's coaching capabilities, and I'm not having that either.
    It's not that much of a criticism to say Duff isn't in the same league as Barry as of now. He has time.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    "Could we have beaten Slovakia with a more tried and tested method?"

You do know poor finishing is what let us down in Slovakia. Hourihanes inability to tap the ball home from what five yards out and he barely pussy foots it at goal.
    We played Slovakia who were badly affected by covid. Portugal could have beaten us 4 or 5-1 easily given the missed chances, Serbia also could have beaten us comfortably. The excuses used to defend Kenny can be used against him also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    I wasn't that impressed with the performance and we beat Azerbaijan, let's not get carried away here.

Barry mightn't be the man for the job but no one can deny his influence on things. I'm pretty sure Kenny is picking the team and giving the inspiring team talks but apart from that, is Barry running the show?

I know it might be uncomfortable for some but it is entirely possible that Kenny is a bit of a hindrance to development. His reign was a bit of a rabble prior to Barry's arrival. I think we should consider appointing Barry or possibly keep him as coach with a more competent manager.
    So you’re suddenly seeing improvements since Barry’s arrival ? Funny, cant recall you mentioning that prior to Saturdays win. You would have poured scorn on any notion that there were improvements, I’m pretty sure.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

19. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    So you’re suddenly seeing improvements since Barry’s arrival ? Funny, cant recall you mentioning that prior to Saturdays win. You would have poured scorn on any notion that there were improvements, I’m pretty sure.
    Like I just said in that post you quoted. Even with Barry's arrival, I haven't been that impressed. It's less of a shambles than it was but I think giving Barry the managers job is the way to go. Kenny has even had to face up to the fact that his methods weren't working. Hes out of his depth and I think he's hurting the development of our players. If we can keep Barry on board, then Kenny will deserve credit for that. I've said all this in previous posts. For example:

"I still don't think Kenny is the man to have in place to bring these through. But he made one great decision during his reign.

That was getting Anthony Barry on board. This guy is excellent. Moving away from Kenny's 4-3-3 to a 3-5-2 is clearly Barry's influence. Our set pieces have improved drastically, players seem to be gaining confidence in the system. The question is always asked, who can we get as manager anyway if we get rid of Kenny? Well, he's already there but obviously, he may be a top class coach, that doesn't mean he'd be a top class manager. Still, a young innovative and highly respected coach (see his Chelsea reviews) is someone I think would be an ideal candidate to develop the young talent emerging."

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    So.....we were ****e against Portugal and Serbia with Barry calling all the shots and you want him in as manager? We are back to that?

Would you not just give a bit of credit to the manager for bringing in an apparently good coach (who most people hadn't heard of), possibly taking on some of his advice (even if the emerging availability and form of 3 good centre halves probably had more to do with changes in formation than anything else) and getting a decent win away from home?

You're suggesting that Barry has completely changed everything - formation, style of play, set pieces - with little evidence to back it up and your own criticisms of all of those pieces throughout the campaign Barry has been here for. Has our style of play changed? I think I read that we are playing 10% more long balls in 2021 than 2020....is that down to Barry? Or is that down to Idah and the front 3 developing enough to be trusted with a few direct passes here and there and a bit of an injection of pace and movement with the increasing availability of Connolly and Robinson along with more familiarity amongst the team with patterns etc?

Is it possible that we are just seeing the natural progression of things Kenny has been implementing from the start? That's at least as likely as your own theories around Kenny being sacked by now without Barry or Barry being the shadow-manager behind the scenes. How would you implement a more possession based game to a team used to pumping the ball up to McGoldrick? Do you tell the team to scrap the long ball for a while so they start to trust each other in tighter spaces? Or can you immediately balance both? Outside of that small tweak, what changes in our style of play are you crediting Barry with? Maybe our counter attacking approach v Portugal in the game you think we should have lost 5-1? I'd hazard a guess that we would have played the same way with or without him against Ronaldo and the rest. Our set pieces do seem more organized and threatening now although Duffy's resurgence are a part of that.

The biggest factor in our win, for me, was Robinson being fully fit, available and hungry to deliver. There are others who have come on enough now for us to be better, Cullen being one, but Robinson is by far our most accomplished attacker at the moment in terms of the level he is regularly playing at. Kenny's tenure so far has completely lacked a credible threat up front. We've created a lot without scoring and that's been the most consistent story for me. Robinson took (some of) his chances and we won a game. Hopefully we go on and win again today but we will continue to lack real quality up front until a top level striker emerges. Unless Barry can play up front?

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    So.....we were ****e against Portugal and Serbia with Barry calling all the shots and you want him in as manager? We are back to that?

Would you not just give a bit of credit to the manager for bringing in an apparently good coach (who most people hadn't heard of), possibly taking on some of his advice (even if the emerging availability and form of 3 good centre halves probably had more to do with changes in formation than anything else) and getting a decent win away from home?

You're suggesting that Barry has completely changed everything - formation, style of play, set pieces - with little evidence to back it up and your own criticisms of all of those pieces throughout the campaign Barry has been here for. Has our style of play changed? I think I read that we are playing 10% more long balls in 2021 than 2020....is that down to Barry? Or is that down to Idah and the front 3 developing enough to be trusted with a few direct passes here and there and a bit of an injection of pace and movement with the increasing availability of Connolly and Robinson along with more familiarity amongst the team with patterns etc?

Is it possible that we are just seeing the natural progression of things Kenny has been implementing from the start? That's at least as likely as your own theories around Kenny being sacked by now without Barry or Barry being the shadow-manager behind the scenes. How would you implement a more possession based game to a team used to pumping the ball up to McGoldrick? Do you tell the team to scrap the long ball for a while so they start to trust each other in tighter spaces? Or can you immediately balance both? Outside of that small tweak, what changes in our style of play are you crediting Barry with? Maybe our counter attacking approach v Portugal in the game you think we should have lost 5-1? I'd hazard a guess that we would have played the same way with or without him against Ronaldo and the rest. Our set pieces do seem more organized and threatening now although Duffy's resurgence are a part of that.

The biggest factor in our win, for me, was Robinson being fully fit, available and hungry to deliver. There are others who have come on enough now for us to be better, Cullen being one, but Robinson is by far our most accomplished attacker at the moment in terms of the level he is regularly playing at. Kenny's tenure so far has completely lacked a credible threat up front. We've created a lot without scoring and that's been the most consistent story for me. Robinson took (some of) his chances and we won a game. Hopefully we go on and win again today but we will continue to lack real quality up front until a top level striker emerges. Unless Barry can play up front?
    A far more balanced view. With bringing so many new young players into the squad and team it was always going to take time to click. I’m hopeful that what we saw on Saturday was the beginning of that. Yes, it was “ only” Azerbaijan, and yes it’s a game we should be winning, but we did the job and that’s the bottom line. You’re right I think in that we need a stronger threat up front. That and a quality centre midfield player would transform the team.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

24. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts

Who said Barry was calling the shots? Kenny is the manager. I've said I don't know if Barry is the right man for the job but I do know that he's a far superior option to Kenny.

If Kenny is facing up to the fact that he was getting it wrong, then the question has to be asked, why should the man giving him the answers be number 2?

It's not a coincidence that the formation changed to the Chelsea formation when the Chelsea coach came on board or do you think it is?

Also, Robbinson was there for the Luxembourg game? Kind of destroys your argument.

Look, we've gone far backwards under Kenny. Theres no doubt about that. Barry has improved things a little bit. We all want what's best for Ireland. We all wanted Kenny's approach to work but it hasn't. It's clear that people are backing Kenny from an emotional standpoint, it's not based on any rationality. Removing Kenny is necessary, Barry may not be the answer but Kenny certainly isn't.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSHAKALAKA View Post
    Who said Barry was calling the shots? Kenny is the manager. I've said I don't know if Barry is the right man for the job but I do know that he's a far superior option to Kenny.

If Kenny is facing up to the fact that he was getting it wrong, then the question has to be asked, why should the man giving him the answers be number 2?

It's not a coincidence that the formation changed to the Chelsea formation when the Chelsea coach came on board or do you think it is?

Also, Robbinson was there for the Luxembourg game? Kind of destroys your argument.

Look, we've gone far backwards under Kenny. Theres no doubt about that. Barry has improved things a little bit. We all want what's best for Ireland. We all wanted Kenny's approach to work but it hasn't. It's clear that people are backing Kenny from an emotional standpoint, it's not based on any rationality. Removing Kenny is necessary, Barry may not be the answer but Kenny certainly isn't.
    You did, and then contradicted yourself right in this post.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    You did, and then contradicted yourself right in this post.
    No I didn't. I've said I'm pretty sure Kenny is picking the team, giving team talks etc. Clearly the formation etc has changed with Barry coming on board. This doesn't mean Barry is calling the shots, you understand?