Page 33 of 81 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI In Europe 2020

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufil View Post
    Interesting to note that AC Milan played Bolonga last night and triumphed by 2‐0 both scored by Zlatan. So, once again no shame, Rovers!
    Or absolute desolation for Bologna.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Yeah, would help if I could spell Bologna.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    It will lead to fewer group stage opportunities for the LoI at CL level.

It will lead to fewer group stage opportunities for the LoI at EL level, as I've shown.

It will lead to group stage opportunities for the LoI at ECL level - but that's not what we were talking about, it it? The point was very clearly about the EL group stages.
    Agreed. Overall though, a higher chance of LOI making the group stages of a European competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post

I don’t think clubs will be too bothered about which logo is on the match ticket if the clubs are making money from it and building new euro experiences
    They most certainly will be bothered about the logo if the prizemoney isn't the same. If prizemoney for the new ECL group stages is comparable to EL group stages, I think it will be a very positive development for the LOI.

5. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buller View Post
    They most certainly will be bothered about the logo if the prizemoney isn't the same. If prizemoney for the new ECL group stages is comparable to EL group stages, I think it will be a very positive development for the LOI.
    That's exactly it, isn't it?

I would be surprised if the prize money was the same as the EL to be honest (even before any covid downturn). It seems more likely that the EL prize money would increase (which it surely will anyway as they're going from 12 groups down to 8) and ECL prize money would be lower than the EL now (but probably still higher than, say, what Rovers got in 2011) It would seem to defeat the point of creating the third tier otherwise.

I like the idea overall - though to be honest, it looks like the LoI sides will still struggle to qualify (league champions aside) as at least 10 of the 32 group spots will be teams that didn't start in the ECL. There's four rounds to get through and even as it is, it's a very good achievement for an LoI club to win two rounds. This might well help us get through one more round on average, but that's still a good bit short.

I had in mind a competition with, say, no clubs below 10 in the UEFA rankings, and much more chance of smaller clubs reaching the groups. But that's probably a bit optimistic in hindsight.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 22/09/2020 at 2:13 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Pardon me for asking a silly question, but what is it that has Dundalk so confident they will make the Europa League this year?
    Have they bought a new goalkeeper/centre half/passing midfielder that I haven't heard about?
    They have to win 2 more games to qualify, yeah?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    They have got about as easy a draw as they could get in fairness. Always gets the hopes up.

They will need to get rid of the shyness in front of goal which has dogged them the last couple of years though, and which was still noticeable against Celje and Inter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Is the game on the box?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pateen View Post
    Is the game on the box?
    No sign of anyone picking it up yet. Super Cup final on that night. Facebook / YouTube probably the best chance at this stage.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pateen View Post
    Is the game on the box?
    Club hoping to show it on website. Id say all will be confirmed tonight once they settle in Moldova and get things sorted with Sheriff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Pardon me for asking a silly question, but what is it that has Dundalk so confident they will make the Europa League this year?
    Have they bought a new goalkeeper/centre half/passing midfielder that I haven't heard about?
    They have to win 2 more games to qualify, yeah?
    I don't think most of us are that confident actually. I give us about a 30% chance against Sheriff (and I would consider myself to be an optimist!).

OK, the good draw for the playoff round might have gotten the hopes up a bit more but sure it's the hope that kills you in the end.

If we do manage to get past Sheriff then I will be making no apologies for ratcheting up my expectations. So one more game away from losing the run of ourselves and then being brought crashing down to earth by Brian Gartland managing to hit one into our own net via a Georgian players arse in the last minute of injury time to lose 1-0.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    OK cool, so is it felt that sheriff are better than the team you'd meet after that. Handy if that's the case.
    It would certainly turn dundalks season around anyway.
    Sheriff are bankrolled by dodgy money I believe. Then again in European football who isn't these days eh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    I don't think most of us are that confident actually. I give us about a 30% chance against Sheriff (and I would consider myself to be an optimist!).

OK, the good draw for the playoff round might have gotten the hopes up a bit more but sure it's the hope that kills you in the end.

If we do manage to get past Sheriff then I will be making no apologies for ratcheting up my expectations. So one more game away from losing the run of ourselves and then being brought crashing down to earth by Brian Gartland managing to hit one into our own net via a Georgian players arse in the last minute of injury time to lose 1-0.
    There's an ever-present threat of some sort of Gartland captiulation haunting Dundalk's chances in Europe. Would be nice to see him score a crucuial goal from a corner instead. Is this the first time an LOI side is playing a Moldovan/Transistrian side since Zimbru 1999? Sorry Pat's fans that dread to remember.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

I think it is very clear that Sheriff are favorites, although I'm not sure about the 10/3 odds suggested.

If we get through this round, it would be great craic having a lash at the Play Off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    There's an ever-present threat of some sort of Gartland captiulation haunting Dundalk's chances in Europe. Would be nice to see him score a crucuial goal from a corner instead. Is this the first time an LOI side is playing a Moldovan/Transistrian side since Zimbru 1999? Sorry Pat's fans that dread to remember.
    Ah, the good old "We won't lose 5-0 again"

Yeah, first time since then (although UCD were a penalty shoot-out from playing in Chisinau in the Youth League in 2017)

Sheriff have made the group stages four times in the last decade, though only once in the last five years. They were knocked out of the CL by Qarabag twice in the last three years though, so they shouldn't be that far ahead of Dundalk (they lost 2-1 this year and 3-1 in 2018/19, while Dundalk lost 4-1 in between)

Their home record is quite good though; you'd have to hope it being behind closed doors will help Dundalk a bit.

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    I do remember reading about this new competition a long time ago but it went out of my brain rapidly! I do remember the old three european competitions .Think UEFA were hasty in madness in getting rid of Cup Winners Cup so welcome move for me!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    OK cool, so is it felt that sheriff are better than the team you'd meet after that. Handy if that's the case.
    It would certainly turn dundalks season around anyway.
    Sheriff are bankrolled by dodgy money I believe. Then again in European football who isn't these days eh!
    Yes, Sheriff are definitely seen as the tougher tie. So much so that you'd be very worried about complacency in the playoff round if we did get past them. Although it'll be a good worry to have come Friday morning.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I think it is very clear that Sheriff are favorites, although I'm not sure about the 10/3 odds suggested.
    I decided to check and with Paddy Power we are 3.2 to advance, with Sheriff 1.29. So 30% vs 70% is in line with what the bookies think anyway.

Do you rate us to have a lower or higher chance out of interest?
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Had a few quid on dundalk to qualify.
    Sherrif are not world beaters, favourite for sure but not 3/10

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Had a few quid on dundalk to qualify.
    Sherrif are not world beaters, favourite for sure but not 3/10
    I’m not as confident. Obviously they’re not world beaters but I think they are a level above us. They have just signed a player who played against us in the Europa League group stages for Alkmaar, so that gives an idea of their level. I think we can do it but as ever we need be more clinical in front of goal and we need to avoid silly mistakes at the back. The usual requirements for an Irish team in Europe I suppose.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    I decided to check and with Paddy Power we are 3.2 to advance, with Sheriff 1.29. So 30% vs 70% is in line with what the bookies think anyway.

Do you rate us to have a lower or higher chance out of interest?
    It may just be a tendency to be over-optimistic on my part, but I see our chances as being closer to 40%.

Filippo Giovagnoli appears to have steadied the ship over the last 4 weeks - even if the performances have been only marginally better than adequate, the 3 successive wins and new regime appears to have had a positive impact on the squad.

Although Andy Boyle's suspension is unfortunate, Patrick McEleney's availability - probably from the bench - adds another creative string to the bow. From the players perspective, they know a win lifts them back to he rarefied air of Europa League Group Stages possibilities, while a defeat could leave the season in a negative tail spin.

Obviously a lot also depends on the quality and attitude of the Shefiff side - it looks like a stream could be confirmed later today.

Brian Gartland to get his 51s goal for Dundalk with a 90th minute bullet header

Page 33 of 81 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast