Page 69 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1615

Thread: LOI In Europe 2020

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    One thing u couldnt accuse rovers supporters of is nor appreciating the position after our recent history before Manus came back.
    Now that was a goalkeeping nightmare prior to signing Mannus. One would hope at some near point that Dundalk would upgrade the GK position, rather than play Rogers til he's 45. When he was playing with Galway back in '09/10, people were calling him Dodge Rogers then. I also remember hearing the Bealarussian commentator in a BATE-Dundalk c.2015 match before going "BRAVO Rogers!" after a cracking save. So he's always been a conundrum. However, his current understudy McCarey has done mothing to oust him either. An interesting season or two of recruitments lay ahead for Dundalk, as their owners actually seem to have the financial means to change things there.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    In 13 attempts now, Limerick remain the only side to avoid defeat in England in European ties (1-1 away to Southampton in 1981, admittedly after losing the home leg 3-0).

Ha! Losers!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Must be close enough to the only goal scored on English soil too?

Rovers v Spurs the only other one I can think of off hand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    I'll finish by saying that I think you all have a massive under appreciation of the position.
    This is another one of those blustery comments that doesn't help your argument though.

I am a goalkeeper. Not a great one, sure - I won't pretend to be remotely in Rogers' class - but I've played in nets enough to have an appreciation of the position. And I know from experience that if you're going to parry a shot, you have to get the ball safe - either turn it wide, or send it out of play altogether - because otherwise you're on the ground and the ball is loose in the six-yard box. Which is a bad thing as the third Celje goal shows.

5. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

Just to save Pat Morley the trouble of signing up.

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/match/55507/
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes for his friends.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post

Ha. He would too. #FirstDivisionGoalsDontCount

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    No goalkeeper has ever won player of the year. So if we use that criteria, Murphy and Mannus are overrated also, which we know isn't true. Amazing that the season he won the league with Sligo he was in the team of the year but was rarely man of the match.

Anyway I'll bow to the superior knowledge of the lads who see him a handful of times a season. I'll finish by saying that I think you all have a massive under appreciation of the position.
    I don’t think anyone is under appreciating the position. Played there for years. When he was with he was very solid and made very few mistakes. Exactly what you’d want from a goalkeeper. It was an bad mistake and unfortunately when you make a mistake as a keeper it generally ends up in a goal but that’s the way it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts

Not quite what I was thinking of, but certainly can't argue it's an answer to my question alright!

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Ha. He would too. #FirstDivisionGoalsDontCount
    hahaha very good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    After watching the game v Arsenal back in the cold light of day there are a few things that are more apparent than watching live. The good, for all the pressure that we were under there wasnt a huge amount of throwing bodies in the way, yes it happened but seemed more composed than panic scramble defence. Very much a flaw in the past even in Ireland games, when a ball was headed clear it was cleared away from attackers rather than being put back in the mixer in front of goal - for as good a defender as the likes of Cunningham back in the day, there was an awful habit of heading the ball back toward the 'D' and opposition deep attackers have an easy cchance to ping in a shot. We stuck to playing it out from the back even though it was like trying to out Arsenal Arsenal (of past days maybe). We did create a few reasonable opportunities all things considered and with very little ball. Commentary on BT Sports saying things like Rogers not being really troubled and that Arsenal need to be braver and more composed in attack. Duffy's free whiped in second half was a good chance for Garts to get something on target.

Bad stuff - the 2 1st half goals, Rogers missed clearance and some poor luck then the way the ball hit off Cleary's shoulder and back toward goal. Sloppy pass for the 2nd. The waste of most opportunities, Mountney crossing the ball from deep and out of play. Not troubling Atsenal with corners straight to the keeper. Murray's chance wasnt as much of just a half chance 1st half, he had time with a good touch to get a shot off but even trying to take the shot straight off but mistimed it was one of those that yu could dream of him connecting with and hitting to corner but any connection at all would have been expected. Duffy's free was screaming for an Aldridge like header ve Mexico '94. If Garts had gotten anything on it especially with a flick directed at the near post it would have had the keeper flatfooted and again the dream stuff of it creeping inside the post. Hoban's awful free kick which really really looked like Owen Farrell penalty kicking routine (look it up, its uncanny).

It's a possible blessing that Arsenal were out of reach and had a big domestic game today as if they had had to spring Lacazette and Aubameyang, with Pepe alreadt on the pitch the last quarter could have been any score. But the overall performance was ok, English fans were genuinely impressed and recognised the gulf in everything between the 2 sides but there was no patronising like it being like playing non-league in the FA Cup, we simply looked like a lower tier European side, with a little more composure than the helter skelter cup type games.

Keep it going against Pats now and secure 3rd spot, have a good crack at the cup once again but its not impossible to get a result against Vienna, Molde away keep it mean at the back, and of course we can have another go at Arsenal....

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Bit surreal for Dundalk going to Vienna today after what happened there just yesterday. Safety and security the obvious concerns.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

Rovers scored twice away from home against Man United in their first European outing in 1957.

Waterford scored against the same team 11yrs later when they were trounced 7-1 at Old Trafford.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 04/11/2020 at 1:46 PM.

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    I dunno if this is just some bs story but dundalk got €150k for not committing a single foul in the arsenal game?!?!
    That's wrong on do many levels, especially given the meagre prize money on offer in LOI..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    That has been doing the rounds in Dundalk - seems far fetched that a single cent would be given for somthing that could end up being a cheat, lose a game that will never be won so just dont committ any fouls and get the same money as for a draw, If it were actively possible not to foul while not obviously throwing a game - I doubt it is even a thing. Maybe UEFA have some prizemoney to be given out for unusual things like best dive, best dressed boss, no frees given away, most shots on target, longest kickout......

If it exsts it would be very strange but that would have nothing to do with LoI or the meagre prizemoney on offer!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    I should clarify, if it was true, it would just highlight what a mockery the prize money is in the league, given that the league winners get €100k.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Agreed, but we knew that already, 100k is a joke for league winners. If its as a comparison it certainly emphasises how meagre it s to win the league in context as you say. I doubt its a real 'prize', maybe at the end of all the group games the team with the least cards/frees are recognised but even then its out of nowhere and likely somone on a wum and people running with it as fact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Agreed, but we knew that already, 100k is a joke for league winners. If its as a comparison it certainly emphasises how meagre it s to win the league in context as you say. I doubt its a real 'prize', maybe at the end of all the group games the team with the least cards/frees are recognised but even then its out of nowhere and likely somone on a wum and people running with it as fact.
    That said if there is some additiona money on the go happy days. Previously unallocated prizemoney eg with a bunch of draws that balance does get redistributed somehow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    It's not on Dundalk's site or UEFA's site or anywhere remotely official. I think that usually means one thing...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    I should clarify, if it was true, it would just highlight what a mockery the prize money is in the league, given that the league winners get €100k.
    Think the League winners get €115-120k but still a paltry sum v say a draw in the EL group stages that will generate an additional 190k to the base fee and any earlier monies earned.

On this 'fair play' award, I don't believe its true, unless there is a proviso that there is something awarded at the end of the 2020/21 EL season, but it does seem an odd type of payment / award tbh.
    Last edited by oriel; 04/11/2020 at 8:35 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickccfc View Post
    Bit surreal for Dundalk going to Vienna today after what happened there just yesterday. Safety and security the obvious concerns.
    Yes and added to the Covid, such a pity not only can fans obv not go, but the squad won't be able to even take a stroll around such an historic city, think under UEFA guidelines, you need to stay in the hotel grounds.

Terrible events, and there will be an eery feeling for sure around the place, anything like such a tragic event like that is certainly more important than a football match.

On that though, as it will be played, hopefully we can give a good performance. I would think the only chance now of getting points on board will be Rapid at home, but if we can pull off a result tomorrow night, that will go down as one of the best away ones since Alkmaar in 2016 group, and Legia in CL same year both 1-1 draws.

I would think Rapid will be too strong though.
    Last edited by oriel; 04/11/2020 at 8:44 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Page 69 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast