Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: EA Sports cup 2018

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Hopefully that gets the people of Cobh to come out. Think I'll go over for it myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickccfc View Post
    Hopefully that gets the people of Cobh to come out. Think I'll go over for it myself.
    Obsessed.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Obsessed.....
    Clueless.

Cobh would be seen as a 'second' team to many City fans, and when they're doing well or have games they'll always have a chunk of city fans pop down. They have a lot of our former youth players and it's a lovely spot to watch a game. I'd pop down myself for a semi final if I was around.

Obviously dundalk are a bigger draw than most first division teams would be. And god knows they need the money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Clueless.

Cobh would be seen as a 'second' team to many City fans, and when they're doing well or have games they'll always have a chunk of city fans pop down. They have a lot of our former youth players and it's a lovely spot to watch a game. I'd pop down myself for a semi final if I was around.

Obviously dundalk are a bigger draw than most first division teams would be. And god knows they need the money.
    Was it not fairly obvious that he was joking there?
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olander View Post
    Was it not fairly obvious that he was joking there?
    Scunderd for him!!

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Obsessed.....
    I know yeah. Cobh is a nice town, I should try not go there so much

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Scunderd for him!!
    Translation?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Its like embarassed, a popular word "up the north".

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Clueless.

I know yeah. Cobh is a nice town, I should try not go there so much
    Oh dear. Sorry lads, I'll stick a smiley or winking emoji on it next time for ya's 😉

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Translation?
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Its like embarassed, a popular word "up the north".

👍

No harm meant by it.
    You dived in far to fast,have been often guilty doing the same.

14. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Over the years met 2 Cobh fans, one a butcher on the front between monument square and heritage centre, the other a taxi driver in Dublin.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    The club will need to push this one and convince the Cobh public that it really is a Semi-Final of a National Cup and a one off that could entice the casual interest!
    Anywhere around 1,500 would be a figure to aim for in realistic terms.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    I can’t see the people of Cobh turning out tbh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    I can’t see the people of Cobh turning out tbh
    Whaaat? Not even to see the mighty Lilywhites in the flesh?? Seriously though if a club that has had little silverware, has been on the edge of going out of business and now has a chance at getting to a final doesnt lift even a once off attendance it is depressing for anyone involved at Ramblers. A good few Cork City fans are bound to go to the game and there could be a reasonable crowd that will travel from Dundalk though might struggle to get near 100 depending on what day the game is played and what league/EL(?) fixtures are before and after. Even if local interest is poor curiosity might get people out unless there is a serious detatchment between the club and community ala Athlone currently. If there is why is that? as while the club has had its financial troubles of recent it survived, has a decent history, and will be representing the town of Cobh on a national level. If this semi final doesnt generate any additional local interest maybe its time to look at some sort of merger with Wanderers if they have the better goodwill locally and see if a new LoI entity is better supported while keeping a MSL possibly also as a developmental team. Ok it didnt work out so well in Galway when there was a new 'United' club in the city but maybe it would be less fractious in Cobh, less egoes.....is that possible in Irish football anywhere!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Whaaat? Not even to see the mighty Lilywhites in the flesh?? Seriously though if a club that has had little silverware, has been on the edge of going out of business and now has a chance at getting to a final doesnt lift even a once off attendance it is depressing for anyone involved at Ramblers. A good few Cork City fans are bound to go to the game and there could be a reasonable crowd that will travel from Dundalk though might struggle to get near 100 depending on what day the game is played and what league/EL(?) fixtures are before and after. Even if local interest is poor curiosity might get people out unless there is a serious detatchment between the club and community ala Athlone currently. If there is why is that? as while the club has had its financial troubles of recent it survived, has a decent history, and will be representing the town of Cobh on a national level. If this semi final doesnt generate any additional local interest maybe its time to look at some sort of merger with Wanderers if they have the better goodwill locally and see if a new LoI entity is better supported while keeping a MSL possibly also as a developmental team. Ok it didnt work out so well in Galway when there was a new 'United' club in the city but maybe it would be less fractious in Cobh, less egoes.....is that possible in Irish football anywhere!?
    From speaking to people down there there’s a total distain from the town towards the club due to stuff that went on in the past. You’d be surprised how damaging that kind of thing can be and how hard it is for a club to shake it. For a long time Longford had a very bad reputation in town due to busineess being burned in the bad old days and it has taken years to heal those wounds. Even when we won the FD in 14 you’d be shocked by the amount of begrudgers out there. Thankfully with Fenn (a Dundalk legend of course) actually getting out into the community and the club making huge strides with social media etc we seem to finally be turning a corner and crowds are slowly improving. Cobh have a long way to go before they can say the same and I’m not sure even a cup semi final is enough to get the locals out.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Outspoken, at a guess were you in a certain establishment in the town before the game a couple of weeks ago? If so, some of the patrons there seem to have a major grudge against the club, you're right in that quite a number of people were turned against the club due to the antics of a few who now have nothing to do with the club and all that hassle was 10 years ago.
    I was involved in helping the club a few years ago and some of the stuff I encountered from people within the town was shocking; for example I used to put up match posters around the town in pubs and shops only for them to be torn down shortly after. Rumours used to be spread discouraging people from taking out season tickets saying that they'd be liable for the debts of the club, that type of thing. Some of the stuff spread was appalling.
    As I've said before I suspect the people behind it had their own agenda, what that is I don't know but it must gall them to see that the club is still there.
    I know that if the club were to have a few successful season's on the pitch then the support would come back, after all 90% of the "sporting public" are unbelievably fickle.
    I know quite a number of football people have thrown their support behind Cobh wanderers but that team like all others will go through a barren spell given the cyclical nature of football. The irony being that Ramblers developed nearly all those players.
    That all said I'd expect a big crowd in for the EA sports Cup semi final.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy View Post
    Outspoken, at a guess were you in a certain establishment in the town before the game a couple of weeks ago? If so, some of the patrons there seem to have a major grudge against the club, you're right in that quite a number of people were turned against the club due to the antics of a few who now have nothing to do with the club and all that hassle was 10 years ago.
    I was involved in helping the club a few years ago and some of the stuff I encountered from people within the town was shocking; for example I used to put up match posters around the town in pubs and shops only for them to be torn down shortly after. Rumours used to be spread discouraging people from taking out season tickets saying that they'd be liable for the debts of the club, that type of thing. Some of the stuff spread was appalling.
    As I've said before I suspect the people behind it had their own agenda, what that is I don't know but it must gall them to see that the club is still there.
    I know that if the club were to have a few successful season's on the pitch then the support would come back, after all 90% of the "sporting public" are unbelievably fickle.
    I know quite a number of football people have thrown their support behind Cobh wanderers but that team like all others will go through a barren spell given the cyclical nature of football. The irony being that Ramblers developed nearly all those players.
    That all said I'd expect a big crowd in for the EA sports Cup semi final.
    Nope I wasn’t in JD’s and I must stress I really would love to see Cobh turn a corner as the club were so welcoming to us a few weeks back. Pizza and chips put on for the fans and drink deals in the bar. Absolutely touch of class.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Sligo-Derry fixed for 17:00 on 6th August.

Pretty disappointing for us, considering it's not a bank holiday in the north. I'd be surprised if we have more than 100 at it now.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    seems daft why not make it 8pm?
    IS it possible Sligo or the FAI forgot its not a bank holiday in Derry ??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Ridiculous time for a kick off given it’s not a BH both North and South, and no consideration given to Derry. This would be the same if the game was on in Derry at 5pm next Monday, BH in the North.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast