Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lee O'Connor (D/M Celtic (loaned to Tranmere) b.2000)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    I think he’s probably someone where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. There are no real standout attributes but he’s quick enough to have never seen him burnt for pace, there’s defensive flaws in his game but less than you’d imagine for a player his age. He’s a comfortable dribbler without it being a particular strong point of his. He’s a more technically smooth footballer than Coleman or Doherty I’d say. He’s also plenty gritty and tough too. Doesn’t shirk a 50-50 and can tackle. Crossing is good without being a Trent or a Finnan. There’s enough self confidence and determination and focus and drive.

He’s far and away the best young right back we have coming through. And that’s probably the only position you could really say that about any player with certainty.

There are plenty of fullbacks similar who tick all the boxes without standing out but I think, say compared to a Corey Whelan for example, everything is just that little bit better than most of them. Everything is a 7/10 or 8/10 rather than a 6/10 or 7/10 if you know what I mean.

PI - out of curiosity, what outstanding attribute do you think Enda Stevens has of those?

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Regardless of its low key nature too, he was exceptionally good in that friendly against Bulgaria.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedmc View Post
    he's obviously not at the level that some on here think he is. Blaming his agent? Come on! Wasn't he on the bench for Patrick last year
    to be fair he wasn't at Partick for that long. wasnt it 5 appearances in less than 8 weeks?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    And Partick were in free fall at the time. Certainly not fair to judge him on that spell, he should never have been put in that position by Celtic.

A full year at Tranmere will give us a much better idea of where he is at.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    I think he’s probably someone where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. There are no real standout attributes but he’s quick enough to have never seen him burnt for pace, there’s defensive flaws in his game but less than you’d imagine for a player his age. He’s a comfortable dribbler without it being a particular strong point of his. He’s a more technically smooth footballer than Coleman or Doherty I’d say. He’s also plenty gritty and tough too. Doesn’t shirk a 50-50 and can tackle. Crossing is good without being a Trent or a Finnan. There’s enough self confidence and determination and focus and drive.

He’s far and away the best young right back we have coming through. And that’s probably the only position you could really say that about any player with certainty.

There are plenty of fullbacks similar who tick all the boxes without standing out but I think, say compared to a Corey Whelan for example, everything is just that little bit better than most of them. Everything is a 7/10 or 8/10 rather than a 6/10 or 7/10 if you know what I mean.

PI - out of curiosity, what outstanding attribute do you think Enda Stevens has of those?
    I agree on a that really. I've seen him live for the 21s and watched other games on TV and there's no doubting he's good, I'm just trying to reason why he didn't seem to make an impact at Celtic and the loan spell wasn't great. In fairness, I remember seeing Coleman for the 21's a few times and he was a liability (I think there's probably quote on here somewhere from me on that) despite the fact he was excellent every time I saw him in league of Ireland. Never easy to judge at that age. Stevens is an interesting one, wouldn't have been as good at that age, and technically probably isn't as good, but he's quicker I think and he's gone and developed himself into a physically strong player with an unbelievable engine. The fact he was a slow developer makes him a good comparison I think, O'Connor could well develop similar physicality, stamina and maybe even get quicker. Stevens delivery has gotten much better over the years too.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    In his situation any move was a good move. I feared for his career if he had another year of reserves at Celtic. Big year for him though, he needs to show hes capable of playing mens football

9. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    I agree on a that really. I've seen him live for the 21s and watched other games on TV and there's no doubting he's good, I'm just trying to reason why he didn't seem to make an impact at Celtic and the loan spell wasn't great. In fairness, I remember seeing Coleman for the 21's a few times and he was a liability (I think there's probably quote on here somewhere from me on that) despite the fact he was excellent every time I saw him in league of Ireland. Never easy to judge at that age. Stevens is an interesting one, wouldn't have been as good at that age, and technically probably isn't as good, but he's quicker I think and he's gone and developed himself into a physically strong player with an unbelievable engine. The fact he was a slow developer makes him a good comparison I think, O'Connor could well develop similar physicality, stamina and maybe even get quicker. Stevens delivery has gotten much better over the years too.
    I think, generally, basing a player's career prospects on this plain of talent on where they are when they're 20 is a fool's errand. These are the critical years in a player's career and they've a lot of development paths they can take. Doherty and Stevens are two contrasting examples of where you can go and end up in the same place.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Played for Tranmere in a friendly against Warrington on Saturday: https://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/new...-match-report/
    Tranmere lost 3-0, O'Connor was taken off before the end
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 24/08/2020 at 9:25 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I think, generally, basing a player's career prospects on this plain of talent on where they are when they're 20 is a fool's errand. These are the critical years in a player's career and they've a lot of development paths they can take. Doherty and Stevens are two contrasting examples of where you can go and end up in the same place.
    I don't necessarily disagree with you but I would highlight the fact that Doherty and Stevens weren't coached in a full-time system until they were both 18 or maybe 19. O'Connor was in the United set up at 16. Might not make a huge pile of difference but a lot of our LOI alumni in the Ireland squad have been slightly older when establishing themselves at that level. That said, one could counter that by referring to John Egan having a PL schooling yet the same amount of caps as Doherty and is a similar age.

I'm probably talking myself up in knots there.

Anyway, I saw a furore on YBIG over O'Connor with Celtic fans writing him off and claiming others were over-hyping him and other lads castigating Lennon for not giving our young lads a chance. It might be too early to say O'Connor made the wrong decision going there. Let's see how this season goes. At 20, he has a lot of time on his side. And he has plenty talent too. We have seen how Obafemi, Idah and Connolly have almost spurned eachother on and now Parrott has taken the plunge for senior football. Hopefully O'Connor sees his old pal from the Déise, Molumby, make his senior international and PL bows soon and he pushes on too.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Doesn't seem to be near Tranmere squad at moment, is he injured? Thought he'd appeared in a number of their friendlies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Started at the weekend, kept a clean sheet: https://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/new...ansfield-town/
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Ah ok, good stuff, looked their match up on google and the full back is down as C. Lee!! Wierd. He's been in team for last while so, which is great, a player who needs games.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Overall I'm reasonably satisfied with this outcome and the coming season will tell us a lot about Lee's longer term prospects.

The reality is that he has made some poor career decisions up to now - going to United, then to Celtic is probably about the worst route you could take to becoming a successful professional footballer, unless you're an absolute stand out youth player at either club you're not going to get a fair chance.

So, as a result, he has had to drop at least one division lower than he might otherwise have needed to in order to kick-start his career. But I'd rather this than see him going to another club where game time would be hard to get, at this level - unless he really disappoints or gets injured - he should get a full season of first team football under his belt.
    Two and a half months on from this post and it isn't going too great for O'Connor at Tranmere. The team were expected to challenge for promotion but are looking more likely to be in a relegation battle as things stand.

Reports on O'Connor seem to match what has been previously said here, he's a tidy and consistent player but is lightweight for the division which leads to him getting pushed around. He doesn't seem to be a standout player for them by any stretch, which might have been hoped given the relatively low standard of the division. He has mostly been in the team but was dropped last night, only to come on again during the game, although Tranmere were already 3-0 down when he came on.

It's starting to look like another poor loan move unfortunately, a bit like Partick last season he finds himself in a team playing poorly and falling below expectations, which is not ideal when you're a younger player trying to develop. Probably the best hope here is that the season of men's football stands to him in the long run, but there's definitely a danger that his career falls away from this point - it doesn't look like he's as good as his under 21 appearances and senior debut suggested.

He's under 21 for us again in the next campaign so he'll be involved in the Ireland setup for the next few years nonetheless you'd imagine, although he may find himself under pressure for his place as other players like Ebosele come through from the lower age groups.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Back starting today after the experiment of dropping him didn’t work out. Here’s hoping for a nice Tranmere home win to steady the ship!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Unfortunately Tranmere lost again and the manager was sacked straight after the game. Not a good situation for O'Connor to find himself in, he has been really unlucky with his two loans, although the big mistake really was going to Celtic in the first place. Comments from their support not too flattering about him today. Tough situation for him though. Hopefully the new manager has faith in him.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Unfortunately Tranmere lost again and the manager was sacked straight after the game. Not a good situation for O'Connor to find himself in, he has been really unlucky with his two loans, although the big mistake really was going to Celtic in the first place. Comments from their support not too flattering about him today. Tough situation for him though. Hopefully the new manager has faith in him.
    A new manager should always give everyone a chance. If he is good enough he takes it !

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    great pass today for the equalizer,,, great assist

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Things looking up for Lee. Another win for tranmere and now in top half of table just off playoffs. New manager still to be confirmed

24. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    I have been a bit concerned at Lee being frozen out at Tranmere. From their forums looks like they had a left back covering right back instead of him over past few league games.

I watched the FA Cup game against Barnsley today. He did solid defensively including one excellent block. Little or nothing going forward. Hopefully, he did enough to regain his place, especially considering they’ve no other natural right back apparently

26. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Was playing as a very defensive full back today, almost an extra centre back at times. Probably unsurprising as they were playing away to a team two divisions above them and going well.

He actually played reasonably OK today. Was turned a few times but made some good blocks and worked hard. Had no opportunity to get forward as there was effectively a right wing back playing outside him.

The worry for me is that he doesn't seem to have developed at all physically in the last couple of years. He looks like a boy playing men's football. I'd be concerned that he's not good enough to play at a high level and at the same time not physical enough to succeed in the lower leagues.

That a right back is the number one transfer priority for Tranmere this month says a lot I think. They have been linked to a right back from Birmingham City - 24 years old with a fair amount of Championship experience. If they bring him in O'Connor won't play much more for them I'd fear.

I think he'll either be a later developer or it just won't happen for him. Won his senior cap far ahead of time anyway.

Has the security of another two years contracted at Celtic. But I'm not sure where he goes next for first team football after uninspiring loan spells in the Scottish Championship and League 2.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 10/01/2021 at 4:06 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast