Thread: The John Delaney Thread

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Why?.
    Because it might get worse, as per the Saddam analogy. The warring tribes might pull further apart or an even bigger charlatan might take the reins. Note use of word "might" each time!

I have doubts that Irish football governance can cure itself. I think some government action might be needed. If the state can call a special meeting of the relevant Oireachtas Committee to scrutinise the sale of GAA TV rights in the UK to Sky, then they can surely at least hold one meeting to discuss the FAI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Perhaps if he was ousted we could go the courts and have the IFA nominated as a court appointed guardian of football in Ireland. Though we'd want to double-check and dot the i's on that application or we could end up with the Irish Farmers Association looking after sacar here. Could do worse I suppose.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking, exactly. I think Irish football is such a diverse set of warring tribes that it'd be a miracle if anyone can join it up. Keeping everything ticking over quietly might be the best we can hope for. That said, I'd give it a try and I wish the ISC or whatever it's called now and the Minister for Sport would at least show some interest.
    Maybe it's time to start ignoring the "warring factions".

If they don't want to move along then feck them. Soon enough when the crumbs stop falling from the table they'll soon get on board.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    Perhaps if he was ousted we could go the courts and have the IFA nominated as a court appointed guardian of football in Ireland. Though we'd want to double-check and dot the i's on that application or we could end up with the Irish Farmers Association looking after sacar here. Could do worse I suppose.
    Dya not remember what the IFA (Bluebell) were getting up to last year?

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-farme...62724-Nov2015/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Dya not remember what the IFA (Bluebell) were getting up to last year?

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-farme...62724-Nov2015/
    But he was only being paid what the The Remuneration Committee (should that not be com'tee?) decided. Blameless. More importantly it suggests an entirely empathic culture leading to a seamless merger.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

8. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Why?.
    Because then we can treasure the relative tranquility of an organisation ticking over just as they did under somebody like Saddam --> Iran/Iraq, invasions, war, rape, pillage, genocide, chemical war, torture etc etc.
    Happy days

10. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Because it might get worse, as per the Saddam analogy.
    It's not a great argument for the status quo.

The factions are warring regardless. It'd be the same war if Delaney was gone except with the possibility of the more sensible people in each seeking resolutions.

12. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Because then we can treasure the relative tranquility of an organisation ticking over just as they did under somebody like Saddam --> Iran/Iraq, invasions, war, rape, pillage, genocide, chemical war, torture etc etc.
    Happy days
    Oh come on, the point was clear and we can argue the merits of a removing a despot and all his regime entailed over the spread of ISIS and its consequences in Syria and in Europe all day long.

I think it's fair to throw it out there that removing Delaney by itself won't solve anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Sometimes things need to get worse before they can get better.

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Oh come on, the point was clear and we can argue the merits of a removing a despot and all his regime entailed over the spread of ISIS and its consequences in Syria and in Europe all day long.

I think it's fair to throw it out there that removing Delaney by itself won't solve anything.
    If you choose to accept a Paul analogy at face value then you have to take the punches
    The Saddam analogy was a very very poor choice to get across the message, self defeating.
    The Marshall Tito/Yugoslavia example is probably a lot closer to what you were intending to convey.

Personally I wouldn't tolerate a despot inside the FAI just because there might be more of the same to replace him/her around the corner. It's hard to know where to start with the FAI as there's no rational organisational structure, along with no transparency or accountability. There's a widespread absence of trust. Much of those ills are embodied by Delaney. If by chance he did move on, then there is an opening for something to happen, an opportunity.

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts

But Stutts you have met the man on many occasions, is he a friend?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I've never even been to Iraq FFS.

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    And I met Delaney once for about 5 seconds - and I asked him about the LOI

I've long argued here that the organisation / structure of the FAI is antiquated and not fit for purpose. But it's the structure that allows someone like JD to operate like he does. The President is as bad if not worse. There is a risk, not a certainty, that his departure would just let another opportunist in, someone who the turkeys know will cancel Christmas.

Would I take the risk that things might not get better? Yes, of course I would.

Should the Sports Council - whatever it's called now, Sport Ireland? - be less compliant? Damned right. I can only see government (direct or indirect) pressure leading to any kind of organisational inquiry. GB Olympic success was built on a model where lottery money was only distributed to those organisations whose governing bodies were deemed fit for purpose. Prior to this sports NGBs were going bust left right and centre. One body even mislaid £20 million, the money turning up in a bank account they had forgotten they owned! A huge improvement in the quality of governance followed.

I've gone as far as writing to two ministers for sport and I was practically trolling John O'Mahony TD on Twitter (Chair of the relevent Oireachtas Comittee) asking him to take note of the governance failures at the FAI. Varadakar emailed back to say it wouldn't be right as Minister of Sport for him to be bothered, or something trite. I'd hardly do this if JD was my friend Benno.

Examples of how the UK is proactive in sports governance issues

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...-british-sport

You'd have to laugh at the prospect of the FAI having to be held to these standards. But in gombeen land it's all grand.

http://www.sportsmanagement.co.uk/Sp...damental-flaws
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 22/08/2016 at 8:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    And I met Delaney once for about 5 seconds - and I asked him about the LOI ��
    I met him at a fundraiser in early 2012, was actually chatting to him for 10-15 minutes just the two of us. A bit of a waste really as I wouldn't have been too well up on his and the FAI failings! Not that he would have spent that amount of time listening to me if I was. He was a very nice guy to chat to though, seemed really down to earth!

23. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    "Thank you for your email. As Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport it would be inappropriate for me to pass comment on the internal structures of a national sporting organisation.

In relation to your proposal for a parliamentary investigation, that would ultimately be a matter for the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Transport and Communications which also has responsibility for Sport. This committee's details can be found form the link below:

http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/oireachtasbusiness/committees_list/transportandcommunications/"

And for sake of transparency the FAI has never been anything less than really helpful to me on ticketing issues.

I honestly feel that had Tony O'Neill not died we'd have seen a very different last 20 years of domestic football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    "Thank you for your email. As Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport it would be inappropriate for me to pass comment on the internal structures of a national sporting organisation.

In relation to your proposal for a parliamentary investigation, that would ultimately be a matter for the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Transport and Communications which also has responsibility for Sport. This committee's details can be found form the link below:

http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/oireachtasbusiness/committees_list/transportandcommunications/"

And for sake of transparency the FAI has never been anything less than really helpful to me on ticketing issues.

I honestly feel that had Tony O'Neill not died we'd have seen a very different last 20 years of domestic football.
    Stick him in the what if pile with John Smith, Mo Mowlam and David Ervine.

26. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Statement on the FAI website that the Brazilian warrant issued for Delaney has been withdrawn, and that in his role with OCI he knew nothing about ticket distribution or anything else.

Pity. The idea of him languishing in a Brazilian prison gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside.

28. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Stick him in the what if pile with John Smith, Mo Mowlam and David Ervine.
    Jaysus that's a depressing post as I read it again. FFS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    live feed of Delaney's questioning in the House of the Oireachtas right now: https://www.facebook.com/OireachtasN...5347601629239/
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

31. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I just turned on. Only took 15 seconds of watching Philip Browne to mention rugby's values

I'm annoyed I missed Delaney. I hear he got asked about the AGMs and he evaded answering.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 18/01/2017 at 3:29 PM.

Page 35 of 66 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast