Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Azerbaijan V Republic of Ireland - Sat, 9th October 2021 - 2022 World Cup Qualifier

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    We love the boss, we love Ireland, we love CalRob

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Couple of great chances this half. Really hope we don’t end up regretting those. Can’t believe McLean didn’t square it.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    I was just thinking that I'd love to see Ogbene come on, somebody with the pace to run at this tiring and stretched defence.

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    All these missed chances are causing me serious anxiety! Interesting now with Ogbene on. I thought Idah was having a good second half but he’s obviously not 100%

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I think the criticism is more down to the fact that most people bar Kenny saw that coming I.e. not producing enough. McGrath coming in at half time sees the penny drop with Kenny.
    Horgan is probably better as an impact type sub at this stage, have him run at tired defenders when space can open up. Im not so sure he was subbed due to performance than maybe there was an issue prior like injury or low energy after a dose. SK is not usually the quickest with subs. Idah was always going to happen earlier than normal.

Need to make better decisions up front to ake those sort of chances count. You'd expect it with younger attackers learning their trade, McClean should have the experience to have squared that chance. It was a serious effort to get in to that position in fairness after that flick round the corner that Kenny likes to use to have the opposition sit deeper. Seems unfair to moan but we should be out of sight and be 4 up with that Duffy chance too.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Horgan and MaClean should never be selected. Believing that either of them is at this level is more than a blind spot it’s delusional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Horgan is probably better as an impact type sub at this stage, have him run at tired defenders when space can open up. Im not so sure he was subbed due to performance than maybe there was an issue prior like injury or low energy after a dose. SK is not usually the quickest with subs. Idah was always going to happen earlier than normal.

Need to make better decisions up front to ake those sort of chances count. You'd expect it with younger attackers learning their trade, McClean should have the experience to have squared that chance. It was a serious effort to get in to that position in fairness after that flick round the corner that Kenny likes to use to have the opposition sit deeper. Seems unfair to moan but we should be out of sight and be 4 up with that Duffy chance too.

Horgan s issue is his total lack of quality in his final ball . He can run all day at tired defenders and cut back and loop hopeless balls in but that can't be good enough at this level

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    There's Bazunu's howler for the game. Wojus attempt at a save - but give him credit; he's a lucky keeper, and that counts for something

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    This was needed. Well done Kenny

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    That Azeri keeper is possibly the worst I've seen since the Gibraltar lad who scored for us.

Not a great performance and Portugal won't be scared, but **** it. We need this

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    desperately needed win. the home side were poor and we looked shaky at times but results matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Delighted for Kenny and the players. A good performance and result. Robinson was excellent as was Cullen I thought.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    We rode our luck defensively a few times but we don't score three away from home too often so well done to the players/management. Robinson is clearly the best best attacking player we've got right now.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Performance wasn’t great in the first half in particular but it really should have been 8. Robinson should have scored 5, Doherty, Duffy x2, Parrott/McGrath(?), McClean/Idah, probably other chances I’m forgetting...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Good that SK went with purpose for the third goal. The Azeris were poor, as poor a 5th seed we have ever played away. Just how did TO’D manage to supress his enthusiatic urge to mention the V word to our Cal?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Overall, a solid performance. We went to a poor team, and made them look poor and showed that we were better than them.

One one hand, a comfortable enough victory over a team you should beat comfortably isn't something to celebrate too much, but seeing as we haven't been doing that until now, it is something to celebrate.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Delighted for Stephen Kenny.

Only one defeat in the last seven.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    That Azeri keeper is possibly the worst I've seen since the Gibraltar lad who scored for us.

Not a great performance and Portugal won't be scared, but **** it. We need this
    I wish I could say the same too!!! Horgan will divide opinion on what he offers, there were times in other games that his running off the ball would have been priceless. I can see whats meant on the final ball being a mixed bag when a decent cross is needed, but he can pick out good passes from more central positions and is effective if running on to a ball in to space. Is it enough to have him start, well it depends on whats needed and what opposition so horses for courses. We need to uncover or develop players that can play with a lot of width, we have plenty of options when looking more central. Im not always convinced when naturally central players are asked to play with width unless they are to play is inside forwards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Good performance and well deserved result. I've been a critic of Kenny but that was excellent.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    One swallow doesn’t make a summer but the panel on RTE I felt were a bit unfair after the Kenny post match interview …. Couldn’t hit him coz he won so they had a pop at him because he was “positive” … seriously Kenny can’t win with some ppl.
    Drogheda United in this together

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I'm surprised to come on here and see comments like "it wasn't great but a win is a win"

I don't remember a game where we've ever created so many chances. That was as close to brilliant as we've been in long time. Very enjoyable game. Made good subs and we controlled the game for most part.

Yeah they created some chances but I was never nervous watching it. There will be bigger tests against better teams but that's a big monkey off our back. A win and good goals from open play from a striker

24. Thanks From:

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast