Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Foot.ie Advert / Short Film Competition 2011

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Thumbs up Foot.ie Advert / Short Film Competition 2011

It's a brand spanking New Year and it promises to be jam-packed with football all the right way through. The 2011 League of Ireland Season is not far off now and on the 26th March 2011 Ireland are also due to play Macedonia in the Aviva in a European Championship Qualifying Fixture. Here on www.foot.ie we are going to take part in the build up to this season too and that’s why we are running an 'Advert Making' competition that's open to foot.ie members to enter, to get the ball moving as it were.

If you can click on 'Start' -> 'All Programs' -> 'Windows Movie Maker' then this is for you !! ;-)

Members who enter the competition would need to make a video clip from scratch that could possibly be used to either promote your club, declare your love for the national team, a fly-on-the-wall insight into the production of your fanzine, a day in the life of a short-sighted colour-blind referee, a video blog for the women's World U-17 Championships Campaign or even a hair-raising eye-popping wake-up call to everyone to highlight the dangers of Robbie Keane's cartwheels. To be honest this will be more of an exercise in fun and possibility rather than an exercise in skill or something to be used commercially. Obviously it would be great if it’s a well made clip but bare in mind it is only for some fun.

There would always need to be some guidelines to adhere to for a project like this, so here are a few we put together ...

- The entry fee .... there is no entry fee
    - The Advert/Short Film needs to be between 30 and 50 seconds long .... easy.
    - It needs to be related to Irish Football
    - Closing Date for entries is Tues 1st March 2011
    - It cannot contain any liable content and foot.ie wouldn't be responsible for it anyway.
    - No racism, incitement, provocation and general nasty stuff, common sense is compulsory ;-)
    - It should be either insightful, comedic, entertaining, a white-knuckle ride or just good fun

The Shortlist

The shortlist of clips (content permitting) will be hosted in a prominent place on the www.foot.ie website and on the www.loi.ie website and possibly feature elsewhere as well !!

The Prizes

By way of a prize for the best advert made there will be a foot.ie t-shirt, a foot.ie membership and a pair of tickets for the Ireland v Macedonia game on the 26th of March.

For the runners-up there will be a pair of tickets for a LOI Premier Division game of your choice and a pair of tickets for a LOI First Division game as well as anything else we can rustle up in the meantime.

Guidelines + Resources

If there are a few people out there who want to give this a good bash with the intention of it being used for your own club for example then would we suggest that you make yourself aware of any guidelines out there on product placement, copyright issues, maybe even advertising guidelines, etc.

We have put together a resources thread here with a few suggested tools and programmes that can be used to put it altogether. If you are having trouble with anything technical, need some images, want to confirm a scoreline for Athlone V Shels in 1958 or you just want to bounce an idea of people, etc. just post in here and we'll all chip in to help out.

Have fun people !!

And any questions ... Just post them here !!!
    Last edited by A face; 27/01/2011 at 11:12 PM.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Athlone v Shelbourne in 1958?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by orielabu View Post
    Athlone v Shelbourne in 1958?
    Well, being honest i just made that up but its along the lines of .... if you are a Shels fan giving a game by game account of the 1958 season, you may need some photos or info from an Athlone fan. Thats the reason i put that in, just to let people know there are possibly more resources available to them than they would think.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Sounds good. I'll be interested on seeing some of the efforts. I suspect a few will be filmed at league grounds which will be nice to see. I think its a nice idea. The one thing that maybe jumped out at me is the lenght of the advert. I know its an advert and so its going to be short but I wonder if there might be scope to consider lenghtening it a bit to reflect variety of attempts on this. Just a thought.
    Find me on Twitter @ImRedLen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Too bad you can't use match footage or anything like that, I guess that rules me out...if anyone wants help editing I can help with that though as I have experience with that sort of thing (I had an internship doing pretty much exactly this for an apartment rental company), just send me a PM.
    Last edited by theworm2345; 17/01/2011 at 4:16 AM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    Too bad you can't use match footage or anything like that.
    I think if you approach your club they can allow footage to be used, but anything that is used needs to be credited (usually at the end, after the 30 seconds in this case)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    I think if you approach your club they can allow footage to be used, but anything that is used needs to be credited (usually at the end, after the 30 seconds in this case)
    I saw that this was in the LoI forum, but I didn't realize it was limited to that (maybe I didn't read carefully enough). I have no club, in Ireland or elsewhere, so it would have to be on the Boys in Green.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    I saw that this was in the LoI forum, but I didn't realize it was limited to that (maybe I didn't read carefully enough). I have no club, in Ireland or elsewhere, so it would have to be on the Boys in Green.
    No, not limited to your club cos it could be about anything really. It could be about the boys in green but it could also be about how a young lad ate a diet of green, white and orange foods which helped him improve as a footballer and allowed him eventually play for the Irish team. It can be about anything you want it to be .... as long as its related to Irish football so its wide open. You wouldn't even need to have a club

Have a look at this and at some of these and you might get a few ideas !!
    Last edited by A face; 17/01/2011 at 2:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Just a few more prizes added now as well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Somthing like this?

Seriously though I'd imagine it would be hard to keep it to 30 seconds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    I just picked that because it seems to be an advertising standard.

That would be a great clip to enter, and most people could have a shot at making something like that if they just gave it a go. There's definitely loads you could do with a small bit of imagination.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean South View Post
    Seriously though I'd imagine it would be hard to keep it to 30 seconds
    You might be right about that so we'll open it up a bit more. Its now 30 to 50 seconds long. I'm guessing that will suit everyone. If its not though, can people let me know ..... about that or anything else. Its the first year for this so nothing is set in stone. If anyone needs any help or has a few suggestions then let us know and we'll do what we can to help.

Also, if anyone had half an idea, or just the bare bones of an idea then feel free to post it up and someone else who is just looking for a good idea could take it and work with it. Its just a way of help people out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    If you know of anyone who might be interested in this, possibly someone who has dabbled in a bit of it in the past or who has an interest, can you let them know about this. And again if anyone needs any assistance just post here or pm me and i'll help out if i can.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Is there much uptake on this? I'm putting one together as we speak.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    And actually, how/where do I enter? Just post it on here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mdebarra View Post
    I was wondering too, I have mine unlisted on youtube.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Is there much uptake on this? I'm putting one together as we speak.
    There are a few. I think a few people are concerned about the timeframe, and in hindsight i suppose it should have started straight away into the close season but it is as it is for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Invincible View Post
    I was wondering too, I have mine unlisted on youtube.
    I suppose it might be best to send them onto me via email (ifgrounds@gmail.com) or upload the file to www.speedyshare.com and i'll look after them then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    I think it might be best to relax on the time of the clips, so if you are going over a bit then that will be ok. As i was saying, its the first time out so the rules are really just a work in progress.

Also, if people are finding to hard uploading then maybe its best to upload the clip to YouTube yourself and then send on the link.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Can the people who are entering the competition send me a PM, i just want to confirm the format etc.