Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 UEFA Under-21 Championship

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I presume that one is straightforward enough. Noss is essentially German so probably has more freedom to come and go. It would be strange for Rose to declare for us and then get cold feet that soon afterwards.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Its becoming Carry-On Comedy Stuff at this stage. International football is becoming a joke especially for the smaller countries !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Weird thing was that Dan Rose can't leave Germany cause he's not a german citizen but Conor Noss can...
    Based in different regions too, different rules for travel

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I presume that one is straightforward enough. Noss is essentially German so probably has more freedom to come and go. It would be strange for Rose to declare for us and then get cold feet that soon afterwards.
    Yep. Basically, Germans are allowed to repatriate but foreigners aren’t allowed to enter the country from what are deemed high risk areas like UK and Ireland.

Different federal states have different rules regarding lockdown but afaik this is a national law.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Based in different regions too, different rules for travel
    Both in north Rhine west-phalia (spelling?) I’d think

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    U21 lineup announced
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Live stream of the game on Wales' YouTube channel here
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 26/03/2021 at 4:09 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Thought McGuinness was probably man of the match. His father is from Derry and he's very much in the Shane Duffy win everything in the air mould. Difficult conditions to play football and a bit fortunate to win but were comfortably the better side in the second half. Good for Afolabi to get a goal.

Thought the midfield of Watson, Connell and Noss were pretty good. Maher was impressive in goal, just his presence and command of his area. Wingers didn't really get involved and were a bit disappointing. Meanwhile, Tyriek Wright coming off the bench seems to have gained a yard of pace - definitely positions open there, along with left back. Was disappointing not to see Shane Flynn involved at some point.

Considering you've also got the following lads eligible: Bazunu, Rose, Collins, Coventry, Knight Hodge, Smallbone, Finn, Connolly, Idah, Parrott, Obafemi - it's certainly still a very decent squad going forward...

11. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Thought McGuinness was probably man of the match. His father is from Derry and he's very much in the Shane Duffy win everything in the air mould. Difficult conditions to play football and a bit fortunate to win but were comfortably the better side in the second half. Good for Afolabi to get a goal.

Thought the midfield of Watson, Connell and Noss were pretty good. Maher was impressive in goal, just his presence and command of his area. Wingers didn't really get involved and were a bit disappointing. Meanwhile, Tyriek Wright coming off the bench seems to have gained a yard of pace - definitely positions open there, along with left back. Was disappointing not to see Shane Flynn involved at some point.

Considering you've also got the following lads eligible: Bazunu, Rose, Collins, Coventry, Knight Hodge, Smallbone, Finn, Connolly, Idah, Parrott, Obafemi - it's certainly still a very decent squad going forward...

Would agree with a lot of the above, apart from saying McGuinness is similar to Duffy, he is tall, great in the air, but also very good on the ball, he is on loan at Ipswich and doing good by all accounts.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Goals are at 1:52:00. Second goal follows on immediately from the equaliser. Looks like the Welsh defender curled the ball around his keeper with a backpass. Pretty impressive actually.
    I was told years ago to always aim a pass to your goalkeeper wide of the goals, for pretty much this reason.

15. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Goals are at 1:52:00. Second goal follows on immediately from the equaliser. Looks like the Welsh defender curled the ball around his keeper with a backpass. Pretty impressive actually.
    I was told years ago to always aim a pass to your goalkeeper wide of the goals, for pretty much this reason.
    Yeah you're always to taught to make your backpasses off-target so even if the keeper ballses it up, it's only ever a corner. Very funny error!

Impressive win today. Thought Noss was very good, wouldn't be against getting him involved for the Qatar game if possible.

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Just watched the goals there. Tyreik Wright looks like he has grown a foot.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Just watched the goals there. Tyreik Wright looks like he has grown a foot.
    A foot high, and a foot wide.

Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    Impressive win today. Thought Noss was very good, wouldn't be against getting him involved for the Qatar game if possible.
    Agreed - himself, Watson and Connell really turned the screw in the 2nd half, while he did a lot of good work in the first half to actually make sure that we saw some of the ball when it came back to us.

Quote Originally Posted by gally View Post
    Would agree with a lot of the above, apart from saying McGuinness is similar to Duffy, he is tall, great in the air, but also very good on the ball, he is on loan at Ipswich and doing good by all accounts.
    He did look really good on the ball, didn't he? Himself and Omobamidele were very happy to knock it wide or central.

Thought the midfield of Watson, Connell and Noss were pretty good. Maher was impressive in goal, just his presence and command of his area. Wingers didn't really get involved and were a bit disappointing. Meanwhile, Tyriek Wright coming off the bench seems to have gained a yard of pace - definitely positions open there, along with left back.
    Wouldn't disagree totally, for a change, Will Ferry set the tone early in the second half by attacking them from wide. I though Afolabi was poor in the second half to be honest, but the goal was definitely a positive for him.
    I probably would have given motm to Watson. He certainly gets around the pitch and absolutely demands the ball. He balled O'Malley out of it early in the 2nd half for playing back to Omobamidele instead of inside to him, and then reversed the balling to Omaba when the same thing happened 10 secs later. You can see why Derby have him playing first team ball. Agree re Maher - very composed.

Was disappointing not to see Shane Flynn involved at some point.
    Yeah, but once he didn't make a few changes at half-time, he looked like he was treating it like a qualifier almost, which is probably not a bad thing considering 7 starting debuts there.

Special shout out to Lee O'Connor - 62nd underage cap for Ireland. Outstanding achievement.

Thanks for the link Tets, watched the whole lot, enjoyable in the main.
    Last edited by Kingdom; 26/03/2021 at 11:37 PM. Reason: affording an impressive young man - Omobamidele - his name
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    Yeah you're always to taught to make your backpasses off-target so even if the keeper ballses it up, it's only ever a corner. Very funny error!

We need to temper our enthusiasm Mr. Nut. Be less colourful, more dull.
    Conditions looked awful today, with the wind really affecting passes of any significant distance. I was a touch worried in the first half as we didn't seem to be coping too well, but then in the second half we really stepped up, and they didn't cope anywhere near as well as we did.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Was Omaba impressive overall, Kingdom? Have been really impressed with him every time I have seen him at 17s and 19s level. He's 18, a centre half and making the Norwich bench. I have high hopes for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I know it's harder to spell than Bazunu, and I'm not even going to attempt to pronounce it, but could you look up the spelling before posting?
    It's Omobamidele

25. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I know it's harder to spell than Bazunu, and I'm not even going to attempt to pronounce it, but could you look up the spelling before posting?
    It's Omobamidele
    Ridiculous behaviour. Apologies on our behalf.

27. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Someone hadn't impressed that one sufficiently onto Shay Given, as evidenced in the comedy of errors from the fabled 2001 WC qual v Holland, re the backpass from Stan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Was Omobamidele impressive overall, Kingdom? Have been really impressed with him every time I have seen him at 17s and 19s level. He's 18, a centre half and making the Norwich bench. I have high hopes for him.
    Hard to say, because McGuinness beside him definitely shone. What I'd say was in the first half they targetted the channell between him and O'Malley, but that was more down to meteorology than scouting I reckon.
    Second half he was very good, and made one excellent goal-saving tackle, and made one very strategic foul as they broke when one up. Not sure if it was his man or O'Malley's, but the forward from his side missed an absolute sitter just before we equalised.

30. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gally View Post
    Fwiw I probably wasn’t that clear in what I said but I didn’t really mean to compare anything more than his aerial ability. I initially wrote something more general comparing them based on the aerial ability, size and the uncompromising tackles, but I edited myself before posting, cause I thought to myself, he’s probably a better footballer than Duffy. Saying that, as he moves up the levels, the first touch will probably look a little heavier than it does now and his pace on the turn will probably start to look a weakness... Very good young player though. Pretty sure if you look through the archives, you can find me praising him strongly on his debut for the 19s in Russia a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Wouldn't disagree totally, for a change.
    I don’t think we really disagree that much. Different sides of the same coin perhaps.

Was Omaba impressive overall, Kingdom? Have been really impressed with him every time I have seen him at 17s and 19s level. He's 18, a centre half and making the Norwich bench. I have high hopes for him.
    Thought Omobamidele came out of the game with a lot of credit. He’s young for the level and although he didn’t have the game McGuinness had, he had 3 or 4 moments when he was tested and he very much passed those tests...

32. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast