Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 FAI Cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

2022 FAI Cup

13 non-league clubs now qualified for the 1st round along with the 19 LoI sides - does anyone know when the draw is due to take place?

The non-league sides are (not a very exciting bunch for an away trip unfortunately)

Usher Celtic (LSL)
    Killester Donneycarney (LSL)
    Villa FC (Waterford)
    Bluebell United (LSL)
    Pike Rovers (Limerick)
    Salthill Devon (Galway)
    Bangor GG (LSL)
    Bonagee United (USL)
    Cockhill Celtic (USL)
    Maynooth University Town (LSL)
    Lucan United (LSL)
    Malahide United (LSL)
    Oliver Bond Celtic (LSL)
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Nothing about dates for the draw. Looking back on 2019 the First Round draw was about a month before the ties so should be after mid-season break and before end of June before the European fixtures kick off

Last year the draw for the First Round took place on 13th July just 10 days before ties commenced on July 23rd but that was due to the preliminary ties involving the Inter/Junior sides only been completed on that previous week due to Covid.
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    It's good to see Bangor Celtic back on the big stage (even if they are now amalgamated with Greenhills and Glenmore). They were always a great intermediate side in the late 80s and 90s, even if I could never understand why they weren't officially lined up with Lourdes Celtic.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    It's good to see Bangor Celtic back on the big stage (even if they are now amalgamated with Greenhills and Glenmore). They were always a great intermediate side in the late 80s and 90s, even if I could never understand why they weren't officially lined up with Lourdes Celtic.
    Do they still play near nutgrove shopping centre ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I take it that was the club known as Glenmore-Dundrum for a time.

It's probably more a Dublin thing but amalgamations like these are probably a good thing to make clubs stronger and improve facilities overall.

It seems in football if you fall out with someone you can just set up a new club - I remember when I was refereeing in the AUL in the early 2000s there were 2 Sheriff clubs - Sheriff YC and Sheriff United - I'm pretty sure one of these was just a breakaway from the other because of a falling out but neither had a home ground!
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Glenmore are nothing to do what is now "Bangor GG", as far as i know. The second G is for Greenpark, who had amalgamated with Greenhills before that entity joined up with Bangor a couple of years ago.

They play in Greenhills Park - Bangor used the Nutgrove pitch a bit until the merger, but the surface was brutal so they played their first team matches in James's Gate's ground, if memory serves

Far from the most convoluted merger in recent years. "Sacred Heart Firhouse Clover", who've just been relegated from the LSL top flight, is a combination of at least four different intermediate clubs which have morphed into one in a short span of time

7. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    13 non-league clubs now qualified for the 1st round along with the 19 LoI sides - does anyone know when the draw is due to take place?

The non-league sides are (not a very exciting bunch for an away trip unfortunately)

Usher Celtic (LSL)
    Killester Donneycarney (LSL)
    Villa FC (Waterford)
    Bluebell United (LSL)
    Pike Rovers (Limerick)
    Salthill Devon (Galway)
    Bangor GG (LSL)
    Bonagee United (USL)
    Cockhill Celtic (USL)
    Maynooth University Town (LSL)
    Lucan United (LSL)
    Malahide United (LSL)
    Oliver Bond Celtic (LSL)
    Cockhill Celtic and Bonagee United would be good trips up to Donegal (though not as glamorous as Fanad).

I live in hope that Arranmore United qualify for the FAI Cup proper some year. That would be a hell of an away fixture for fans. Though the club are not likely to get to that level really.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    Glenmore are nothing to do what is now "Bangor GG", as far as i know. The second G is for Greenpark, who had amalgamated with Greenhills before that entity joined up with Bangor a couple of years ago.

They play in Greenhills Park - Bangor used the Nutgrove pitch a bit until the merger, but the surface was brutal so they played their first team matches in James's Gate's ground, if memory serves

Far from the most convoluted merger in recent years. "Sacred Heart Firhouse Clover", who've just been relegated from the LSL top flight, is a combination of at least four different intermediate clubs which have morphed into one in a short span of time

Going off on a bit of a tangent here but whatever happened to Belgrove?

I've a memory that they landed a decent windfall from selling their ground and became one of the best Intermediate clubs - I see they won the 2002 Intermediate Cup. Did they end up merging with someone

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Spent a couple of minutes below doing research of the LSL teams in the cup draw and where they currently are in their leagues with the season nearly over

You would expect all of the top division LSL teams to put it up to any of the part-time First Division teams and the teams outside of the LSL top flight are all doing well this season likely achieving promotions. Usher Celtic definitely the best achievement to qualify for the 1st around being a 4th tier Intermediate team, Oliver Bond who are 5th tier are Junior so qualified through FAI Junior Cup

Killester Donneycarney (LSL) - Senior Sunday, 3rd
    Malahide United (LSL) - Senior Sunday, 4th
    Bluebell United (LSL) - Senior Sunday, 6th
    Bangor GG (LSL) - Senior Sunday, 8th
    Maynooth University Town (LSL) - Senior Sunday, 9th
    Lucan United (LSL) - Senior 1 Sunday, 2nd
    Usher Celtic (LSL) - Senior 1B Sunday, 1st
    Oliver Bond Celtic (LSL) - Major Sunday, 1st

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Going off on a bit of a tangent here but whatever happened to Belgrove?

I've a memory that they landed a decent windfall from selling their ground and became one of the best Intermediate clubs - I see they won the 2002 Intermediate Cup. Did they end up merging with someone
    Belgrove merged with Home Farm, they were called Belgrove/Home Farm for a while but now known as just Home Farm again and are in the LSL top division still playing out of Whitehall

As mentioned whopping amount of mergers in LSL over the past decade and still LSL teams being dropping out, former Dublin AUL teams have mostly absorbed these mergers/losses with Killester, Kilbarrack, Ballymun, St. Kevins, Swords Celtic, Ayrfield, Sheriff and some others now in LSL intermediate ranks. Sheriff surprisingly after being the top team in Junior football a decade ago struggling than most others in the LSL
    Last edited by total hoofball; 09/05/2022 at 6:22 PM.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    Spent a couple of minutes below doing research of the LSL teams in the cup draw and where they currently are in their leagues with the season nearly over

You would expect all of the top division LSL teams to put it up to any of the part-time First Division teams and the teams outside of the LSL top flight are all doing well this season likely achieving promotions. Usher Celtic definitely the best achievement to qualify for the 1st around being a 4th tier Intermediate team, Oliver Bond who are 5th tier are Junior so qualified through FAI Junior Cup

Killester Donneycarney (LSL) - Senior Sunday, 3rd
    Malahide United (LSL) - Senior Sunday, 4th
    Bluebell United (LSL) - Senior Sunday, 6th
    Bangor GG (LSL) - Senior Sunday, 8th
    Maynooth University Town (LSL) - Senior Sunday, 9th
    Lucan United (LSL) - Senior 1 Sunday, 2nd
    Usher Celtic (LSL) - Senior 1B Sunday, 1st
    Oliver Bond Celtic (LSL) - Major Sunday, 1st
    I'd agree with that though yesterday I went to Liffey Wanderers v Salthill Devon and Salthill were fully deserving of the 1-0 win. Salthill are going for the title in the Galway & District League but I would have expected Liffeys to win that being 5th in Senior Sunday. Possibly they didn't have a full team out and sometimes motivation can be a bit questionable - did they really fancy an FAI Cup tie in July?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    Belgrove merged with Home Farm, they were called Belgrove/Home Farm for a while but now known as just Home Farm again and are in the LSL top division still playing out of Whitehall

As mentioned whopping amount of mergers in LSL over the past decade and still LSL teams being dropping out, former Dublin AUL teams have mostly absorbed these mergers/losses with Killester, Kilbarrack, Ballymun, St. Kevins, Swords Celtic, Ayrfield, Sheriff and some others now in LSL intermediate ranks. Sheriff surprisingly after being the top team in Junior football a decade ago struggling than most others in the LSL
    You mean 'HomeFarm-Drumcondra-Everton-Fingal-Belgrove' ? That club ? It's like when you put 10 small spiders into a room and come back a week later to find just one big fat one is left.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Do they still play near nutgrove shopping centre ?
    I though they used to play in St Tiernan's school which is a good bit past Nutgrove.

I could be very wrong, but this Bangor Celtic amalgamated with Greenhills Boys who have a super compliant astro pitch up in up in Greenhills Park, so if they aren't using that then it would seem to be stupid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I take it that was the club known as Glenmore-Dundrum for a time.

It's probably more a Dublin thing but amalgamations like these are probably a good thing to make clubs stronger and improve facilities overall.

It seems in football if you fall out with someone you can just set up a new club - I remember when I was refereeing in the AUL in the early 2000s there were 2 Sheriff clubs - Sheriff YC and Sheriff United - I'm pretty sure one of these was just a breakaway from the other because of a falling out but neither had a home ground!
    Sorry, Burnsie is right - it's Greenpark not Glenmore (who were kingpins for a few seasons in the era following Bangor. The LSL really was tops back then.
    GreenPark are the far-side of Greenhills (the part of Tymon that you see down the valley when you cross the M50 on the greenhills road) - sloppy by me.
    And he's bang on the money about them using Guinness's ground too, but from what I can gather the land grab that Trinity did a few years ago has now come to pass, as St. James Gaels (spits should never have dropped the An Caislean name) have been turfed out of the Guinness grounds recently.

And to avoid derailing the topic altogether, agree totally with Burnsie on the SHFC. Clover were very decent in their first couple of seasons around (I knew a lad who played cf for them) and then merged with Firhouse and looked to be on the up. Didn't know they were relegated - that seems mad.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Anyone know when the draw likely to be made for the next round FAI Cup ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bowler View Post
    Anyone know when the draw likely to be made for the next round FAI Cup ?
    https://mobile.twitter.com/dlLambo/s...41766041825284
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Good stuff. Am hoping to get to a few random games in the early rounds this year to visit new places, teams and grounds.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Thanks Joey, hoping for an exotic draw against one of the amateur teams, but not sure I'd be piling the cash on the students coming through. History says that the non league teams give a really good a count of themselves but then run out steam late on in games

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Oliver Bonds vs Sheriff might be an interesting tie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    How do these non-league teams qualify for the FAI cup? For some reason I thought it was related to the performances in the Junior and Intermediate cups? Can there only be 3 clubs from the junior (not the LSL/MSL/USL) leagues?

All, Maynooth University Town is the only club from a county without an LOI team.

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast