Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Portugal V Republic of Ireland - Wednesday, 1st Sep 2021 - 2022 World Cup Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Do we even know if this guy (never heard of him btw, I don’t follow English football that closely) is interested in playing for Ireland ? And before anyone suggests we should be chasing him to find out, no, we absolutely should not.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Pym has played 3 weeks of Championship football. Talbot has more experience of European football than Pym has of the Championship. And the debate concerns who'll be 3rd choice keeper anyway.

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Do we even know if this guy (never heard of him btw, I don’t follow English football that closely) is interested in playing for Ireland ? And before anyone suggests we should be chasing him to find out, no, we absolutely should not.
    He has spoken about wanting to and it almost happening underage before but Ireland going cold on it when paperwork was underway or something along those lines.

5. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Pym has played 3 weeks of Championship football. Talbot has more experience of European football than Pym has of the Championship.
    Talbot played four of his six European games against Stjarnan and Dudelange. Pym's League One experience trumps that. Probably the League Two too.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Do we even know if this guy (never heard of him btw, I don’t follow English football that closely) is interested in playing for Ireland ?
    He seemed up for it in the article I linked earlier anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Is Talbot?
    Debatable.

.... which you didn't mention for some reason.
    editing miss, meant L1.

. Is his career on an upward trajectory?
    Talbot's career is on an upward trajectory, no?

I can't imagine a professional keeper in this day and age is significantly out of shape. Also, the internet says he's an inch taller than Talbot.
    He looks overweight for what I've seen. Don't know his height.

That's probably the biggest factor in all this alright. Which goes back to the question of have we followed up with Pym since last March? (And that's acknowledging that following up random 2G/3G players indicates that we still have serious issues developing our own players, and is only going to lead to more Declan Rice scenarios down the line)
    Debate for another thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Don't think a previous call-up a couple of years back really matters tbh. Is that the only reason you have in favour of calling up Talbot?
    No, but i do think it matters in this context. We know Talbot is Irish and available; we are speculating wildly about Pym's availability. And, really, I don't think either keeper is the long term answer to our #1 jersey. For fear of repeating myself, it wasnt really about Talbot per se, i just found it a bit puzzling that someone was getting so passionate about a keeper being in the team that hadn't even been on his radar five minutes earlier.

It's hard to compare a player from YouTube and one from the stands when they're facing a very different standard of players. Talbot is playing Longford, Harps and Dundalk. Pym has been playing the likes of WBA and Cardiff, and will be facing better players every day in training. Better players will ask harder questions of a goalkeeper, so Pym looking a bit dodgy may well still be better than Talbot being comfortable in the LoI.

There was a lot of excitement when Szmodmics was called up last year from the same club don't forget.
    Just to be clear, i saw about 4-5 Peterborough games last season and have seen one this season. Pym played in all of them. I have also watched almost every Bohs game this season. I think it is fair to make an assessment of merit based on that sample size. My assessment might be right, it might be wrong. Have you seen Pym play at all?

Re: Szmodics; he looked good when he came on against WBA the other night. I don't think people were excited about his call up (maybe Crafty ), i remember it more being "who the heck is this lad?!" haha

Talbot played four of his six European games against Stjarnan and Dudelange. Pym's League One experience trumps that. Probably the League Two too.
    Do you really think it is that definitive?

Also, why did you leave out PAOK? And Fehervar away last year?
    Last edited by SkStu; 30/08/2021 at 6:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    How many international footballers play for Stjarnam, Dudelange and PAOK compared to say, Bristol Rovers, Rochdale and Wimbledon?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Talbot's career is on an upward trajectory, no?
    Is it? He had a poor loan spell at Darlington and joined Bohs then. Been there three years; this year isn't going as well as last for Bohs (Europe aside)

Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    He looks overweight for what I've seen. Don't know his height.
    He's 6'1". An inch taller than Talbot, an inch shorter than Kelleher/Bazunu. Weight is hard to get a definitive figure on - soccerbase says he's 11st 9lbs. Jed Steer, apparently the shortest keeper in the Premier League, is 6'0" and 12st 8lbs. Of course, weight isn't even a good guide necessarily because as you lose fat and put on muscle (which he maybe needs to do), you gain weight.

Quote Originally Posted by SkStu
    No, but i do think it matters in this context. We know Talbot is Irish and available; we are speculating wildly about Pym's availability. And, really, I don't think either keeper is the long term answer to our #1 jersey.
    Well yeah, if it's an easy selection to fill a gap with a player who won't be played, then I agree, for sure. That said, given how many randomers Kenny has been calling up lately, you'd think this would be a good excuse to get a new guy in. Would he be better than Travers, for example? But if his paperwork isn't in order or if he's changed his mind, then for sure; he doesn't make the squad. And we have feck all other options. Westwood is clubless now and will probably retire. The troll in me would suggest Ed McGinty - conceding far fewer goals than Talbot and was 21s international

I haven't seen Pym play (or much of Talbot either). But the conclusion from the Jack Byrne thread is still fairly relevant I think.

Yes, playing League One week in week out is absolutely better experience than playing an Icelandic side and a pre-season Luxembourg side. No question about that.

I left out PAOK because it was valid experience. I forgot about Fehervar if I'm quite honest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    OK. It looks to me as though you might be guilty of cherry picking subjective indicators to suit a predisposed opinion on which player out of the two is better. Instead of maybe finding a bit of time to watch both players and then factor in all the available information to take a position. Which is fine, something we are probably all guilty of. Even me, believe it or not.

[League One week in / week out] does not create a definitive case for greater than [Premier Division week in / week out plus 9 games in Europe].

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Pym looks out of shape to me. It's unusual for something like this to be apparent but it was something that stood out for me when I saw him. Paddy Kenny didn't look athletic and was an excellent keeper so it's not the be all and end all.

I said it to a couple of foot.ie lads behind the goal in Copenhagen in 2019 during the goalkeeper warm up drills that I thought Talbot looked a proper unit. It turns out he is shorter than I thought but I was very impressed by his physical presence. In fairness I think he was poor for Bohs a few times last season and I'm not sure why McGuinness(?) played instead of him in several games - injury or form?

But whatever the merits of each, picking a young talented Irish keeper instead of a League 1 keeper with a few week's Championship experience isn't in any way a stick to beat Kenny with, especially for 3rd choice while a veteran keeper is lacking game time and seems to be on the edge of a club move.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Is it?
    Well he just got an international call-up ....

He's 6'1". An inch taller than Talbot, an inch shorter than Kelleher/Bazunu. Weight is hard to get a definitive figure on - soccerbase says he's 11st 9lbs. Jed Steer, apparently the shortest keeper in the Premier League, is 6'0" and 12st 8lbs. Of course, weight isn't even a good guide necessarily because as you lose fat and put on muscle (which he maybe needs to do), you gain weight.
    Watched the Peterborough - Derby game a couple of weeks back to have a look at Ebosele, and Pym appeared overweight in that game. Maybe he put on a few (or more) pounds over the summer as some footballers do and soccerbase has his pre-summer frolics weight?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    I don't think you can really use "international call-up" (as third choice keeper for a poor national side) to define Talbot as elite while saying Pym (a Championship starter) isn't. That doesn't make sense.

Yes, it's hard to get exact details on weight for sure. I still think if he has an issue, it's that he's underweight, but out of condition (for the reasons I gave already - ie fat weighs less than muscle). But still, he's a professional footballer; they're going to be closely monitored and I find it hard to believe he's that far out of shape and still starting games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Current

Younger

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    And two days ago. He makes saves on 23 seconds and 1.min 5 secs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jP5xuGnMtrE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    I still think if he has an issue, it's that he's underweight, but out of condition (for the reasons I gave already - ie fat weighs less than muscle). But still, he's a professional footballer; they're going to be closely monitored and I find it hard to believe he's that far out of shape and still starting games.
    You're in the realms of fantasy here.

Also re his height, I was at a pre season game of his V a non league side, he was warming up ten feet from me and if he's 6 1 then I'm 6 1 and I'm 5 11

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Current

Younger
    his chin is big boned.

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post

I can see why you call yourself digs.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post

Goalkeeper makes saves, big news there Diggs, borderline revelations stuff, keep it coming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Can we move on from the height and weight of a player who isn't in the squad?

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    his chin is big boned.
    No it isnt. It's just out of condition.

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast