Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Mick McCarthy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Cardiff, unbeaten in 10 matches, have awarded Mick a two-year deal at Cardiff.

How near would Kenny get to the job? Would he be within the top-50 candidates? Top 100? Top 200?

All academic.We are we're we are, I guess...
    Is there a purpose to this post, or is it just a random dig at Kenny?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Is there a purpose to this post, or is it just a random dig at Kenny?
    Our previous manager, Mick McCarthy, has earned a long-term contract at promotion-chasing Cardiff. This is a news story for those of us who take an interest in Irish football:

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...act-until-2023

Have you got a problem with that?

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Mick might still be in Ireland job if he didn't sh1t his pants away to Georgia and play for a 0-0 from the start when we needed a win. I'll never forget the image of Randolph wasting time early in the 1st half of that game.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Our previous manager, Mick McCarthy, has earned a long-term contract at promotion-chasing Cardiff. This is a news story for those of us who take an interest in Irish football:

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...act-until-2023

Have you got a problem with that?
    The only problem I have with it, is the unnecessary jibe at the current Ireland manager. It's quite frankly pathetic.

Mick was a horrendous Ireland manager. I have a big problem with that too.

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    How much would you say Cardiff had to pay for his services? Ireland paid him double what they are paying Kenny, not including the 1.13 million euro pay off when his time ended as planned. That pay off alone would cover 2 years of Kenny.

Do you have a list of managers you'd pay half of what McCarthy asks for?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    How much would you say Cardiff had to pay for his services? Ireland paid him double what they are paying Kenny, not including the 1.13 million euro pay off when his time ended as planned. That pay off alone would cover 2 years of Kenny.

Do you have a list of managers you'd pay half of what McCarthy asks for?
    Do you have a list of managers whose team hasn't scored in seven matches? McCarthy definitely way overpaid. To date, Kenny robbing a job.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Do you have a list of managers whose team hasn't scored in seven matches? McCarthy definitely way overpaid. To date, Kenny robbing a job.
    Not a fan of Kenny but that's absolute nonsense. We barely scored under McCarthy and he had all our best players available. Sure we went 397 minutes without scoring under O'Neill. Played dire football under both of them to boot. Not scoring isn't a Kenny issue; we have no strikers, it's an Ireland issue. Who should be scoring the goals? 19 year old Adam Idah who hadn't even been available?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Not a fan of Kenny but that's absolute nonsense. We barely scored under McCarthy and he had all our best players available. Sure we went 397 minutes without scoring under O'Neill. Played dire football under both of them to boot. Not scoring isn't a Kenny issue; we have no strikers, it's an Ireland issue. Who should be scoring the goals? 19 year old Adam Idah who hadn't even been available?
    And I'm certainly no big fan of McCarthy - but he made us competitive with what was available. Kenny's strategy has confused even the players, McGoldrick has retired, two backroom staff have walked and, of course, the ridiculous Videogate circus. Selection problems have not been exclusive to us - we've played teams similarly damaged by injuries and covid. Apart from one game - it's been a shambles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I doubt any manager would have done much better with the players we have had available in recent years. The criticism O’Neill and McCarthy faced at times was unfair.

McCarthy is proving that he’s still “got it” as a manager if he has something to work with, and I’m happy to see him do well.

I hope Kenny can bring the belief and fighting spirit back — but I suspect given how poorly we’ve done to date he will not get to keep his job for Euro qualifying unless there’s a marked improvement on what we’ve seen so far.

13. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    The only problem I have with it, is the unnecessary jibe at the current Ireland manager. It's quite frankly pathetic.

You have a problem with a jibe aimed at Kenny, who has overseen the worst period in Irish football in at least 50 years - yet you call McCarthy, who has a proven record for club and country, a "horrendous" manager. Take a bow, that's a cracker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    You have a problem with a jibe aimed at Kenny, who has overseen the worst period in Irish football in at least 50 years - yet you call McCarthy, who has a proven record for club and country, a "horrendous" manager. Take a bow, that's a cracker.
    Yes, because at least mine was somewhat relevant to the thread.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Yes, because at least mine was somewhat relevant to the thread.
    Mick McCarthy being called a "horrendous" manager is not relevant to a Mick McCarthy management thread?
    Last edited by Snapshot; 05/03/2021 at 12:50 PM. Reason: grammar correction

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Mick McCarthy being called a "horrendous" manager is not relevant to a Mick McCarthy management thread?
    That's not what he wrote. He wrote that your opinion of Kenny was irrelevant here.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    That's not what he wrote. He wrote that your opinion of Kenny was irrelevant here.
    He said a jibe at Kenny was pathetic but takes the opportunity to aim a savage jibe at McCarthy. Why is my opinion on Kenny irrelevant within that scenario?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    He said a jibe at Kenny was pathetic but takes the opportunity to aim a savage jibe at McCarthy. Why is my opinion on Kenny irrelevant within that scenario?
    What's this thread called?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    And I'm certainly no big fan of McCarthy - but he made us competitive with what was available. Kenny's strategy has confused even the players, McGoldrick has retired, two backroom staff have walked and, of course, the ridiculous Videogate circus. Selection problems have not been exclusive to us - we've played teams similarly damaged by injuries and covid. Apart from one game - it's been a shambles.
    For someone who isn't a fan you're giving him an awful lot of credit while simultaneously going after his replacement.

Were we competitive under Mick? 7 goals in 8 games with our best players available and our only top level striker still playing. Scraping wins against minnows and digging out a few draws against he giants of Denmark and Switzerland to appease the plastic hammer brigade. It was grim enough stuff and only looked an improvement when set against he backdrop of O'Neills later games which were truly dire.

Then you go on to highlight the issues Kenny has faced in comparison but seem to be attributing him the blame for them? He's had our third string when compared to the players Mick had whilst also dealing with a rat in the camp/FAI and having no fans in the ground to boot. On top of that he is paid less than half of what McCarthy ended up getting. Dose of reality needed amongst Ireland fans these days. Plenty of people had their minds made up before a ball was kicked. I'll be waiting until he's had a fair shake and a few games with a consistent squad but even then he won't have a proper striker to call on. And I'm sure that will be his fault.

Mick is doing well at Cardiff but was just sacked by Apoel. He's had some ups and downs.

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    For someone who isn't a fan you're giving him an awful lot of credit while simultaneously going after his replacement.

Were we competitive under Mick? 7 goals in 8 games with our best players available and our only top level striker still playing. Scraping wins against minnows and digging out a few draws against he giants of Denmark and Switzerland to appease the plastic hammer brigade. It was grim enough stuff and only looked an improvement when set against he backdrop of O'Neills later games which were truly dire.

Then you go on to highlight the issues Kenny has faced in comparison but seem to be attributing him the blame for them? He's had our third string when compared to the players Mick had whilst also dealing with a rat in the camp/FAI and having no fans in the ground to boot. On top of that he is paid less than half of what McCarthy ended up getting. Dose of reality needed amongst Ireland fans these days. Plenty of people had their minds made up before a ball was kicked. I'll be waiting until he's had a fair shake and a few games with a consistent squad but even then he won't have a proper striker to call on. And I'm sure that will be his fault.

Mick is doing well at Cardiff but was just sacked by Apoel. He's had some ups and downs.
    Super post, sums it up perfectly

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts

Is calling Mick a 'horrendous manager' not an 'unnecessary jibe'? And if not, why not?

The way he set up his team against Georgia during the last campaign was not something I agreed with, but at least we were competitive and hard to play against and beat. And now...?

When Mick left first time round, we were 12th in the world, and our unlucky home defeat to Switzerland was our first in 18 matches.
    Last edited by Trequartista20; 05/03/2021 at 10:19 PM.

24. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Mick McCarthy managed tonight for the 1000th time, joins Hodgson, Allardyce, Ancelotti and a few more to reach that number. Probably at his level in the division he's in now, but still a fine achievement for the player who captained us V Italy in Rome in a WC Q/F. Well done to him.

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    And if Connolly had put his late chance against Georgia away, he'd be hailed as a genius.
    That's football.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast