Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Ukraine V Republic of Ireland - Tuesday, 14th June 2022 - 2022/23 UEFA Nations League

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    I’d include Ogbene on that list. I know he didn’t look great this window but to me he looked pretty fatigued and was battling knocks. His performances against Portugal and Belgium were really impressive during the season.
    Id like to see him play in at least the Championship next season. We've often had players over the years whos international performances were better than their clubs but I'm still not sure of him. He definitely can make impact with enthusiasm and pace, but if we had everyone available I think hes a decent bench option

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Id like to see him play in at least the Championship next season. We've often had players over the years whos international performances were better than their clubs but I'm still not sure of him. He definitely can make impact with enthusiasm and pace, but if we had everyone available I think hes a decent bench option
    I really like Ogbene, and I think some of the comments about him after the first two games in this window were a bit harsh. He’s a player that is capable of causing a lot of problems for teams, and he has a couple of goals to his credit too, so he is capable of finding the net. I’d agree with you about Idah, I think he has the potential to be a really good player for us. We’ve never really been blessed with prolific strikers, Robbie Keane being the standout exception. Even Frank Stapleton, who was a terrific Centre forward, was never really a goals machine. If Obafemi, Idah, Ogbene, Parrott and possibly Ferguson are in the squad in 2/3 years time, I think that would be a decent set of striking options.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    I really like Ogbene, and I think some of the comments about him after the first two games in this window were a bit harsh. He’s a player that is capable of causing a lot of problems for teams, and he has a couple of goals to his credit too, so he is capable of finding the net. I’d agree with you about Idah, I think he has the potential to be a really good player for us. We’ve never really been blessed with prolific strikers, Robbie Keane being the standout exception. Even Frank Stapleton, who was a terrific Centre forward, was never really a goals machine. If Obafemi, Idah, Ogbene, Parrott and possibly Ferguson are in the squad in 2/3 years time, I think that would be a decent set of striking options.
    I was far too harsh on Ogbene myself after his 1st couple of games but he won me over. I dont think he was helped in recent games by playing as a central striker, he might be worth looking at as a wing back. One way or another he needs to be played wide to be effective

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    I like Ogbene too. He can score goals at this level. Plenty of more heralded players can’t. Maybe his star will fade, maybe it won’t, but I’d keep him in our plans.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    I really like Ogbene, and I think some of the comments about him after the first two games in this window were a bit harsh.
    I was surprised by the reaction to him to be honest.

Yep, he wasn't great - and wasn't alone in that - but the comments seemed to be along the line of "Ah he's clearly not good enough and never will be; showing he's a very limited player"

But that ignores his good start completely. Didn't think foot posters would be the kind to almost ditch him so quickly after a couple of poor games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    i think he is limited though. theres a reason rotherham play him as a wing back and not central like kenny does. theres a massive difference in ability when you compare him to someone like parrott or obafemi in those tight central positions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    One of the mistakes I thought he made in the four games in July was moving Ogbene to wing back after saying it wasn't where he should be played
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    i think he is limited though.
    I think he is alright. I said after the March games that if we could upgrade him for, say, a Premier League player, then that would be a good thing, and I still think that stands. At the time it was acknowledged that he was probably our most effective attacking player and the hardest to drop, and that was probably fair too.

But still think the swing in opinion over June was quite large. Maybe he even over-achieved in the first few games and we're seeing a bit of regression to mean now.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    I genuinely think that is the case.. he has a role perhaps though, which could be stretching teams that like playing a high line, or when teams begin to tire later on.

Though the "tiring later on" might become less relevant at all levels of football now, when the whole game is moving to 5 subs from 3. We're likely to start seeing football become like rugby, where making subs is not simply down to poor play/injury, but dedicated pre planned subs for tactical reasons

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    if we could upgrade him for, say, a Premier League player, then that would be a good thing.
    It's nuggets of wisdom like this that keeps me coming back to foot.ie.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    You're welcome.

But it's in the contact that, in that discussion, he was seen as almost one of the first names on the teamsheet. I think it highlights just how much the opinion of him changed over the June games.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I was surprised by the reaction to him to be honest.

Yep, he wasn't great - and wasn't alone in that - but the comments seemed to be along the line of "Ah he's clearly not good enough and never will be; showing he's a very limited player"

But that ignores his good start completely. Didn't think foot posters would be the kind to almost ditch him so quickly after a couple of poor games.
    I like Chiedozie Ogbene both as a player and as a character; he's been a breath of fresh air since coming into the Irish setup and is undoubtedly one of the success stories of Kenny's time in charge. He's pacy, enthusiastic, a hard worker, enjoys taking on and committing defenders and, as we've seen from his short Ireland career so far, is capable of coming up with some big moments for us.

However, I remain to be totally convinced that a player, who plays mainly as a wingback at club level, has the particular skillset required to be effective in a central attacking role.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    I like Chiedozie Ogbene both as a player and as a character; he's been a breath of fresh air since coming into the Irish setup and is undoubtedly one of the success stories of Kenny's time in charge. He's pacy, enthusiastic, a hard worker, enjoys taking on and committing defenders and, as we've seen from his short Ireland career so far, is capable of coming up with some big moments for us.

However, I remain to be totally convinced that a player, who plays mainly as a wingback at club level, has the particular skillset required to be effective in a central attacking role.
    Sort of suggests that he must / might be more suited to playing somewhere on the wing of the pitch.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I complained when Rotherham played him wing back and he was becoming more important for us as a wide forward. However, I think we are all very clear on the evidence that we need two strikers rather than three forwards from here on out. That makes things very difficult for Ogbene who is, as a few have said, not really a central player. I think he'll be a good option starting certain games up front and can create problems in situations where we do press a midfielder high and Ogbene can occupy space otu wide. So, he will definitely have his uses. But, for now, I can't see him starting the Scotland game away in September. That's not really through any fault of his own. I think the criticism of his technical ability is overstated here and there - he's just a player who is better facing goal than with his back to goal. I think he has shown plenty control, passing, crossing and finishing for Ireland. And I think he will be a very useful weapon even in the near term 3-5-2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Thread locked and archived
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112