Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zak Gilsenan M Blackburn b.2003

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts

Zak Gilsenan M Blackburn b.2003

'Nine-year-old Irish prodigy signs for Barcelona academy': http://www.thescore.ie/nine-year-old...aign=from_page

ZAK GILSENAN. REMEMBER the name.

The nine-year-old from Castleknock in Dublin has signed for FC Barcelona after scoring seven goals in a trial game for the Catalan giants.

The Sun reports that Zak saw off 400 other young hopefuls to seal a place at the FCBEscola football academy, the same school that educated the likes of Andres Iniesta, Xavi and Lionel Messi.
    'Zak of the net for young Irish Messi': http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ish-Messi.html

He will now come face-to-face with Ireland’s Galactico — Mayo lad John Joe Patrick Finn. In May we revealed how the youngster, whose dad is from Ballyhaunis, signed for the other Spanish giants, Real Madrid.

Mining company worker Stephen said: “I know Zak is young to be doing this but kids are like a sponge at this age.

“People say we are mad but in Barcelona he will be educated in the best footballing techniques.

“All we can do is go and see how it develops. We know it’s ruthless over there. We don’t want him turned into a machine, we just want him to enjoy it. It’s his dream to play for Ireland.”

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Blimey!!! The Great White Hope (or whatever).

Unfortunately he is only 9!!

However there does not appear to be a lower limit on the age you can play international football.

Souleymane Mamam

According to official FIFA records, on 6 May 2001, he became the youngest player to ever play a World Cup qualifier when he played for Togo against Zambia at the age of 13 years and 310 days.[7]
    However he may have been older but FIFA allowed him to play when they thought he was 13.

Official FIFA records appear to indicate that Mamam was born on the 30 June 1987. However, various websites, including the official website of Royal Antwerp, cite 20 June 1985 as Mamam's birthdate, which would mean he was in fact almost 16 when he played his first match for Togo.
    This could turn out to be the longest thread ever!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    About 8 years ago Man Utd signed a young 7 year old from Ireland called Ross Murtagh supposedly beating off competition from Barcelona. Unfortunately have heard nothing since. Does anyone know what happened to him, I assume it just wasn't meant to be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    This could turn out to be the longest thread ever!!!

Interviewed on Today FM over the weekend. Said his favourite player was Ronaldo. Hope he doesn't bring that up over there
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    That finn lad is not from Mayo. His father is from Mayo.

And he could well play for Spain yet, if he ever turns out good enough. Still though thats what we need to start doing, importing women from all over the world, from footballing strongholds, and fornicate with Irish men from ballydehob, to nobber to glenamady to gaoith dobhair and we should be sound in 10 years. Forget all about stutts footballing academey or joining up all the different footballing structures in ireland, this is a real and attainable goal.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    About 8 years ago Man Utd signed a young 7 year old from Ireland called Ross Murtagh supposedly beating off competition from Barcelona. Unfortunately have heard nothing since. Does anyone know what happened to him, I assume it just wasn't meant to be.
    Here's an article from the Independent from 2002 about him signing for United: http://www.independent.ie/national-n...it-296441.html
    And an article from last year about a lad named Ross Murtagh, who may not be the same guy, on trial at Yeovil Town: http://www.ciderspace.co.uk/asp/news...wsItemId=15478
    Can't find anything else about him with Yeovil, so it doesn't look like he was offered a contract
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Still though thats what we need to start doing, importing women from all over the world, from footballing strongholds, and fornicate with Irish men from ballydehob, to nobber to glenamady to gaoith dobhair and we should be sound in 10 years. Forget all about stutts footballing academey or joining up all the different footballing structures in ireland, this is a real and attainable goal.
    That's what I've said for many years. And don't leave our women out either...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Nah keep the irish women for the lads who cant get the foreign women.

Also, the paternal links are stronger anyway...
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts

And he could well play for Spain yet, if he ever turns out good enough. Still though thats what we need to start doing, importing women from all over the world, from footballing strongholds, and fornicate with Irish men from ballydehob, to nobber to glenamady to gaoith dobhair and we should be sound in 10 years. Forget all about stutts footballing academey or joining up all the different footballing structures in ireland, this is a real and attainable goal.
    Here's a piece on John Joe Finn: http://www.thescore.ie/the-new-galac...37285-May2012/

As well as Ireland and Spain, he'll also be eligible to play for France (and possibly Cameroon) as his mother is of French-Cameroonian descent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    why did they put a picture of Whoopi Goldberg with that article?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Has to be on the plane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

This is actually a good idea. I know a Brazilian girl who's a good footballer herself and now has a 4 year old half Irish/half Brazilian son. He was born and will be raised in Ireland. I know a few others with the same. (Don't ask!!)
    I myself have a half Irish/half Polish future goalkeeper for us.

The Dept of Foreign Affairs (I think it was) made it easy a few years ago for Brazilians to come to Ireland to study and work. There are 1000s of them here now. One of the biggest singing stars in Brazil is coming to play the Academy in Dublin on Sunday. It will be jam-packed with hundreds of Brazilian girls. Gentlemen, you know what you have to do.

15. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    This is actually a good idea. I know a Brazilian girl who's a good footballer herself and now has a 4 year old half Irish/half Brazilian son. He was born and will be raised in Ireland. I know a few others with the same. (Don't ask!!)

The Dept of Foreign Affairs (I think it was) made it easy a few years ago for Brazilians to come to Ireland to study and work. There are 1000s of them here now. One of the biggest singing stars in Brazil is coming to play the Academy in Dublin on Sunday. It will be jam-packed with hundreds of Brazilian girls. Gentlemen, you know what you have to do.
    I'm in.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    One of the biggest singing stars in Brazil is coming to play the Academy in Dublin on Sunday. It will be jam-packed with hundreds of Brazilian girls. Gentlemen, you know what you have to do.
    Give one for the team?

18. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts

Bring a ball....and ask them to play keepie, uppie ; )
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Anyone with a Greek bird will be hung, drawn and quartered

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Like this?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    here is another one - Conor Materson a 13 year old playing for Lucan Untied has signed for Liverpool.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Widely reported elsewhere also. Good luck to the lad!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    So all this worry about development at underage and 10 years to bare fruit, we are sound, all by ourselves. We just need to wait 10 years!!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    '10-year-old Irish footballer extends Barcelona deal': http://www.irishpost.co.uk/sport/10-...barcelona-deal

YOUNG Zak Gilsenan might not yet be commanding the headlines of Neymar but the 10-year-old Dubliner can still call himself a Barcelona player.

The Castleknock boy has signed a new two year deal with the Spanish champions after impressing in his debut season with the club.

The youngster was previously spotted while playing for the Perth Glory youth team in Australia and has impressed his coaches enough to be kept on at Barcelona’s La Masia football academy.

Gilsenan was plucked from 400 hopefuls last June by the academy, which goes under the official name of FCBEscola.

He scored seven goals in the final trial game to confirm his place at the club.

Players that have come through the FCBEscola academy include Lionel Messi, Andres Iniesta and Cesc Fabregas.

Gilsenan’s former coach in Perth, Callum Salmon said. “Whilst Zak’s technical ability was very special, it was his character overall which was most impressive. His attitude, enthusiasm and hard work were outstanding.”

Gilsenan has been used as a striker, right midfield and right back at the academy and has captained Barcelona’s youth side.

Might he even be in the Ireland line up at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast