Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: RTE Panel

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I understand that Dunphy has found the stick to beat McCarthy with: Doherty must be included (I don't buy The Star but I have it on reliable information). So it begins....
    Was that post game though? He's been waving the Doherty stick for some time. He usually hides a particular stick when the weather changes (i.e. when we win good).

The old dog has lost a lot of bite impact since he lost his profile platform, influencer supreme on the rte pundit seat. He's been replaced by Sadlier to some extent as man of the people.
    Now Dunphy is railing from the backwaters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Wasn't too sure which thread to ask this in, just wondering if the documentary on rte last night was a repeat? Its getting a lot of discussion today but I'm fairly sure I saw it before, or something very similar at least!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    no, I'm pretty sure it was an original, but it did cover a lot of the same ground that was in the "Green is the colour" documentary from a few years ago
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Thanks, I'd say that's what I am thinking on so. I thought it might have been on around the centenary of the Easter Rising, but maybe its further back than that. The old memory isn't what it used to be!
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Does anyone have any idea where that documentary can be watched online? I'm based in Switzerland and RTE Player wouldn't let me tune in live. Now I can't seem to find it anywhere!

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Will George "Oh Danger here!" Hamilton ever learn ? Spain 3-1 up against Croatia and he says it's all over as he has said on numerous occasions in the past only proven to be wrong. Why does it bother me? I suppose it dates back to Bulgaria v Scotland and Scotland take the lead. George says, showing off his German, "It's time to open our Deutsche Reisebuch" (German tour guide) or something like that and in the next breath the Bulgars hit the post. No sooner have I stopped screaming at him he says we should start opening the champagne bottles and the next minute the Scots keeper saves one on the line. Why does he think that once a team gets in the lead that's it ? How many games have we seen a team down and out come back? Really bizarre or perhaps it's all part of the show.

Speaking of the Panel, I was left a bit open mouth when Duff commentating on Sterling said: "let's call a spade a spade" or perhaps it is only my generation who remember the word spade as a pejorative term for a black person. His anti-English bias was a bit cringeworthy albeit representing the feelings of most of his audience.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    In fairness to Hamilton he wasn't alone in thinking the game finished at 3-1, and I don't just mean because of the scoreline. I certainly thought the Croatians looked totally beaten after the third went in, not a bit of fight left. Not the first time they've shown an incredible ability to muster up resilience.

I had never heard of that phrase from a racial context. I found this interesting article just now - https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...=1625061136577 - and am definitely going to try and use "let's call a fig a fig and a trough a trough" in future!
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Will George "Oh Danger here!" Hamilton ever learn ? Spain 3-1 up against Croatia and he says it's all over as he has said on numerous occasions in the past only proven to be wrong. Why does it bother me? I suppose it dates back to Bulgaria v Scotland and Scotland take the lead. George says, showing off his German, "It's time to open our Deutsche Reisebuch" (German tour guide) or something like that and in the next breath the Bulgars hit the post. No sooner have I stopped screaming at him he says we should start opening the champagne bottles and the next minute the Scots keeper saves one on the line. Why does he think that once a team gets in the lead that's it ? How many games have we seen a team down and out come back? Really bizarre or perhaps it's all part of the show.

Speaking of the Panel, I was left a bit open mouth when Duff commentating on Sterling said: "let's call a spade a spade" or perhaps it is only my generation who remember the word spade as a pejorative term for a black person. His anti-English bias was a bit cringeworthy albeit representing the feelings of most of his audience.
    Did Hamilton ever play sport himself ? People who have played competitive sport don’t give up that easy !

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    George knows, and George knows we know.
    I think he gets off on triggering mass anxiety across a nation over that Poland game all those years ago.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    I'm a similar enough age to Duffer, and while I've vaguely heard of it (I think in the phrase "as black as the ace of spades" - does it have independent meaning?!) I've never heard it used. It wouldn't shock me if he'd never heard of it. Even if he had, he likely said it before thinking. No big deal, I think.

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    George knows, and George knows we know.
    I think he gets off on triggering mass anxiety across a nation over that Poland game all those years ago.
    I didnt know this but he is from the unionist community, he is 100% irish anyway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    That's your generation. The fact that he can say that without anyone batting an eyelid means progress.

Also, I recall Duff saying he was delighted for Kane in the last game breaking his goal duck so I don't think he's that anti-English. Perhaps more pro-Irish
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Didnt see this so just reading this now. Obviously an innocent mistake but I'm pretty sure if someone said that on the panel of one the UK stations, they'd never work on tv again

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    FWIW I’d be a half a generation younger than Duffer I guess and I don’t think I’ve ever heard that term before reading it here...

It appears to be something which has thankfully been left behind

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I'm surprised that nobody has heard the saying. I've heard it said often and used it myself. The context is, a spade is a spade, it's not a fork, not a rake, call a spade a spade - don't over complicate a description, just say it straight out. There's absolutely no connection with that saying to the derogatory word for African Americans.

Context defines the meaning of a word, if you eliminate context from a language there's very little left apart from a dogma. Cherry picking a word from one context and placing it in another context in order to blacken a person is disingenuous and cynical.

21. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Yeah, I'm also very surprised to hear about this "controversy" as I've heard it said a million times. To me, it just means "tell it like it is."

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    People who automatically think of black people when they hear the word “spade” are actually the problem vs a phrase that’s been around since the sixteenth century.

25. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Calling a spade a spade isn't a racist term, anymore than having a hand of spades in poker is, or calling something as black as the ace of spades. It's a figure of speech that predates the racist use of spade by a full five centuries. Whether Duff was incautious in saying it it the context of a black player, precisely because it leads to this kind of discussion, is another matter. Personally, I use it frequently - but I would never leave myself hostage to fortune in this way. Because, building on what SkStu implies, people who want to be offended will always look for the brickbats.

This article (NPR) suggests that spade became slang for a black person during the Harlem Renaissance in the 1920s, when it was adopted by black writers. I'm reading Jean Toomer's Cane at the moment (same era) and it's certainly full of phrases that would be problematic in everyday use.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

27. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Tonight, from a jaded sounding Liam Brady: "As Richie would say...what can you say?"
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Tonight, from a jaded sounding Liam Brady: "As Richie would say...what can you say?"
    Shakespear-ian ! !

Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast