Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Liam Lawrence

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    aye go on mick please. you are not good enough for the Celtic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    That's a pretty big insult considering Celtic were soundly beaten by Ross County. Lawrence would do a great job for them imo. I'd rather he went to Wolves though.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    That's a pretty big insult considering Celtic were soundly beaten by Ross County. Lawrence would do a great job for them imo. I'd rather he went to Wolves though.

i feel the same, the prem is a lot higher quality than the spl. okay maybe the old firm matches are alright but he won't get any better going up against kilmarnock, inverness, etc every week

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Lawrence is a good solid player who'll do really well in the SPL. In his last season in the championship he scored 14 goals, and I'd argue that the Championship is a higher standard than the SPL. Good luck to him.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Aldinho, meet yapster, yapster meet aldinho. Or maybe ye are one of the same.

Lawrence has always played quite well for us (which is primarily what im concerned about) and to me has looked a decent hard working footballer, no more no less. He hasnt had much opportunities with Stoke this year so would like to see him move on but hopefully to another premiership club.

Hate the way any single irish player becomes available, celitc is always one of the main options. Celtic are a shambles at present, a very very average team who were blown away in their league that another average team. Players of a sub standard level, the likes of Fortune, Boruc, Samaras, Maloney etc Im not saying lawrence is a million miles better than them but I think there are better options in more competitive leagues for him.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,687 Posts
    Anyone denying that Lawrence has been a really valuable addition to our squad (and starting team) is utterly deluded.

7. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    I would be sympathetic to Celtic, would have been a massive fan in the past.
    But my priorities are the national team, and secondly the domestic club team.
    For example, I would like to see any LOI (or Irish League, even Linfield!) beat them in European competition if drawn together.

As such, I hope Lawrence does not make the switch to Scotland at this time

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
    I would be sympathetic to Celtic, would have been a massive fan in the past.
    But my priorities are the national team, and secondly the domestic club team.
    For example, I would like to see any LOI (or Irish League, even Linfield!) beat them in European competition if drawn together.

As such, I hope Lawrence does not make the switch to Scotland at this time
    feel exactly the same. why support the irish national team and then a scottish club? it doesn't make any sense

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8720865.stm

radio interview regarding possible Celtic move.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Obviously Celtic and Rangers are better than most or all Championship, but you don't judge a league by its best teams - you judge it by its median teams, or even its worst. Falkirk and Callie Thistle would be a big step down from Peterborough and Milwall, while Hamilton and Hearts wouldn't hold a candle to the likes of Preston and Ipswich.

One of the main reasons SPL players don't often make the leap to the EPL is because they're not playing the standard of opposition every game. Celtic and Rangers can up their game when playing each other and the occasional European match (less frequently now), but players like Barry Robson and Scott McDonald have no experience of playing top-class internationals every week like Aiden would face in the Premier League.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    On a completely seperate and cynical sidenote.......
    St Ledger, Green, Reid and Lawrence have been linked with Celtic. Is there any possibility, that these lads, having never lived in Ireland, exaggerate the link between Celtic and ireland in their head, and are somehow catalysing these rumours to get themselvese more entrenched in the Irish supporters mind? Its not cynical......
    actually a really good point, first i've heard of anything like it mentioned. maybe they make the connection that all irish support celtic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Lawrence and St. Ledger have certainly been vocal in their desire to go there. 'Dream move', 'I'll walk there' etc. etc. I reckon Sean in particular would consider the move indicative of his Irishness.

Personally, Lawrence's gut-busting display against Italy does more to entrench him in my mind than seeing him wear 100 Celtic shirts.

Anyhow, they'll have to get Aiden a crash course in Russian literature to afford all these other lads!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post

Anyhow, they'll have to get Aiden a crash course in Russian literature to afford all these other lads!
    He should start with Fyodor Crosstoevsky. Might help him to think outside the box...(Incidentally, his works include A Little Hero, The Raw Youth, and The Insulted and Humiliated. No doubt some of the lads on Celtic Watch will have views of the relevance of these tomes to Aidan.)

Back on thread, Lawrence to Celtic would be good for both parties. He's not going to set the Premiership alight, nor are Celtic going to be able to afford somebody who does. But he's an affordable potential recruit who would strengthen their squad. In return, he gets a chance to play in Europe, which he is unlikely to do with Stoke.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Right at the end of this article, Stoke deny any contact has been made by Celtic.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...nsfers&cc=5901
    Last edited by Colbert Report; 12/06/2010 at 2:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Linked with Boro....would be a disappointing move I think. Surely he's good enough to play for one of the promoted teams at least?

That said, I think they will give a serious push for promotion, so what do I know?
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Linked with Boro...
    It ain't good when your transfer rumours take a step down, nevermind doing it for real..

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Better than sitting on the bench for the whole season with Stoke.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    553 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Linked with Boro....would be a disappointing move I think. Surely he's good enough to play for one of the promoted teams at least?

That said, I think they will give a serious push for promotion, so what do I know?
    I would say that he definitely good enough to be a squad player with medium strength premiership club. He has done well for us since he came on the scene.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    I would say that he definitely good enough to be a squad player with medium strength premiership club. He has done well for us since he came on the scene.
    Why would we want someone to be a squad player at any level?!

Not unlike any other player, whats best served for Ireland is him getting regular first team football at the highest level he can. And thats unlikely to be the Premiership unfortunately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast