Page 31 of 62 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Troy Parrott F Excelsior Rotterdam (loan from Spurs) b.2002

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    What are you on about, his first loan was to NF in the championship at 18 years old which is the same age Parrott was when he went for milwall and he played 11 minutes in one game and 1 minutes the other. He didn’t start banging in goals until his third loan spell at the age of 20.
    Nottingham Forest wasn't a loan spell. His first loan was MK Dons at age 19, as John83 says. (The stats of 18 in 37 were over two seasons though, mainly the second)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    What are you on about, his first loan was to NF in the championship at 18 years old which is the same age Parrott was when he went for milwall and he played 11 minutes in one game and 1 minutes the other. He didn’t start banging in goals until his third loan spell at the age of 20.
    Did Bamford not start his career at Forrest though? Realistically if Parrot was a Millwall or Ipswich player would a top half premier league club plump for him?

Without forensically moving a dial along their respective age profiles I’m of the opinion that Parrot is not showing anything like the form Bamford did or was about to do at a similar stage in Career.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    To be fair to Parrott he has been the victim of excessive hype more than anything else. He has probably only underperformed relative to the hype rather than in terms of what level a promising young striker should be at at his age.

Looking at it rationally all he had really done before the loans was score a lot of goals at Under 18 level and look reasonably good for our Under 21s. But lots of young players score masses of goals at Under 18s and he was playing in an unusually strong Ireland under 21 team.

It was the call up to the Spurs first team squad that probably generated the hype more than anything, but in hindsight it came far too soon for him. The sooner we set more realistic expectations for him the better really. Let's see where he's at by 21, he has time yet to make it at a high level.
    And this is the caveat that should be set on all youth players. The reality is bar grealish and rice, who didn't even end up playing for us, we've had hype without any follow through almost all of the time. Not since robbie keane has anyone really lived up to the hype, making his debut at 17, and whatever hyped followed his debut he scored the same year so he was living up to it.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Nottingham Forest wasn't a loan spell. His first loan was MK Dons at age 19, as John83 says. (The stats of 18 in 37 were over two seasons though, mainly the second)
    He never got 18 goals, I don’t know where he got that number from. To say the majority were in his second season is and understatement.

So he’s been compared to a 20-21 year old in his third season when he’s an 18-19 year old in his first loan spell...
    Last edited by CSAD; 22/04/2021 at 10:19 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Did Bamford not start his career at Forrest though? Realistically if Parrot was a Millwall or Ipswich player would a top half premier league club plump for him?

Without forensically moving a dial along their respective age profiles I’m of the opinion that Parrot is not showing anything like the form Bamford did or was about to do at a similar stage in Career.
    He’s done more than Bamford did at the same age and Bamford got a top half move so yeah. Plus Parrott is already at a top half club so that irrelevant.

Bamford must have done a lot in those 12 minutes on the field to show he was far ahead of where Parrott was. Could you tell me what he did in those 12 minute as I’m not sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    He never got 18 goals, I don’t know where he got that number from.
    18 in 37 League One games is quoted on wiki and on soccerway. I'm not sure what figures you're looking at?

So he’s been compared to a 20-21 year old in his third season when he’s an 18-19 year old in his first loan spell...
    Parrott is on his second loan spell. Bamford - who was 20 years and 3 months when he left MK Dons, with 18 league goals under his belt - started regularly scoring in his second season, not his third. (If you want to count the 12 minutes at Forest - again, not a loan spell - as his first season, then you have to count Parrott's four games at Spurs at his first)

But yes, Parrott is now the age (just gone 19) when Bamford started on his first season with MK Dons, so let's see how it goes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Not a loan?

You are looking at the Wikipedia number which is wrong, it even says further down that he didn’t score his first professional goal until March 19th 2013.
    Sort of; it's not wrong, it just combines two consecutive loan spells. It seems he was on loan at MK Dons from November 2012. Three assists in his debut sounds like big impact, but didn't start scoring for months, and in a decent team at that. Still, he impressed enough that he was loaned again for the beginning of the following season, which is when he started banging them in.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    18 in 37 League One games is quoted on wiki and on soccerway. I'm not sure what figures you're looking at?

Parrott is on his second loan spell. Bamford - who was 20 years and 3 months when he left MK Dons, with 18 league goals under his belt - started regularly scoring in his second season, not his third. (If you want to count the 12 minutes at Forest - again, not a loan spell - as his first season, then you have to count Parrott's four games at Spurs at his first)

But yes, Parrott is now the age (just gone 19) when Bamford started on his first season with MK Dons, so let's see how it goes.
    His first goal wasn’t until March 2013 making him 19 going on 20. His second loan spell in his first season. Bamford was onto his 3rd season... he scored 4 goal in his 2nd season. What Parrott was doing in his first 4 matches for Spurs was definitely better as Bamford was even paying at that point. At this points Parrott has 1560 minutes compared to 11 minutes for Bamford so I’d love to see where people get this idea that Bamford has done more.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Anyway I am more worried that some one said, he lacked pace. You need to be a pretty exceptional player ( especially a Forward ) if you lack pace. the defenders are just too good and too pacy if you can't test them with pace.

His name escapes me but didn’t that young fella that came from Arsenal to Scotland to Sunderland to loads of places have plenty of talent but lacked the pace for the top level == You gotta have pace or be very very good altogether !

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Not a loan?

Sort of; it's not wrong, it just combines two consecutive loan spells. It seems he was on loan at MK Dons from November 2012. Three assists in his debut sounds like big impact, but didn't start scoring for months, and in a decent team at that. Still, he impressed enough that he was loaned again for the beginning of the following season, which is when he started banging them in.
    So you compared an 18 year old with a 20 year old.

Comparing like for like Parrott has payed for 1560 minutes compared to Bamford who at the same point in his career had played 12 minutes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    I agree it's too early to properly compare the two, although Bamford did get three assists on his debut, which was at Parrott's current age, when he's been sent back with nothing really to show for his spell. But that's not enough data to judge him on.

But Bamford did score 18 in 37 league games for MK Dons, and if he's in his third season, then Parrott's in his second season. Bamford's first goal - which probably would have come earlier but for three months out with injury - was was at the age Parrott will be when the new season starts. Bamford then scored 21 (including cup goals) in the following nine months, before moving up a division.

It doesn't really matter of course if Parrott maps Bamford's career out to the game. But I think we can agree they're the baseline markers.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Anyway I am more worried that some one said, he lacked pace. You need to be a pretty exceptional player ( especially a Forward ) if you lack pace. the defenders are just too good and too pacy if you can't test them with pace.

His name escapes me but didn’t that young fella that came from Arsenal to Scotland to Sunderland to loads of places have plenty of talent but lacked the pace for the top level == You gotta have pace or be very very good altogether !
    You are massively overthinking this.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts

Anthony Stokes?

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Anthony Stokes?
    I genuinely could not recall his name ( I am getting old ) but it goes to show that if you don’t make it ( at a decent level ) for what ever reasons you are soon forgotten.

I’m pretty sure that Liam Brady said that if this Guy had some decent pace he could have been a player for the higher levels = = Pace is hugely important !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    So you compared an 18 year old with a 20 year old.

Comparing like for like Parrott has payed for 1560 minutes compared to Bamford who at the same point in his career had played 12 minutes.
    Parrot turned 19 in February, since which he's done shag-all at Ipswich and been sent home. Bamford turned 19 the September he was loaned to MK Dons, getting 3 assists on his debut and impressing sufficiently to for his loan to be extended to the end of the season, and then to be loaned again the following season. That's the point of comparison.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    I agree it's too early to properly compare the two, although Bamford did get three assists on his debut, which was at Parrott's current age, when he's been sent back with nothing really to show for his spell. But that's not enough data to judge him on.

But Bamford did score 18 in 37 league games for MK Dons, and if he's in his third season, then Parrott's in his second season. Bamford's first goal - which probably would have come earlier but for three months out with injury - was was at the age Parrott will be when the new season starts. Bamford then scored 21 (including cup goals) in the following nine months, before moving up a division.

It doesn't really matter of course if Parrott maps Bamford's career out to the game. But I think we can agree they're the baseline markers.
    They were in his second season. When Parrott got his first goal he just turned 19, at which point in Bamford’s career he was barely playing senior football.

The majority of Bamford’s goals were scored when he was 20 and in his third season as a senior player. He was at the same age Parrott will be in two seasons. Parrott has actually scored compared to Bamford so is already ahead and based on paying minutes he’s significantly ahead. Bamford’s second season he scored 4 league goals, not exactly impressive is it or a high bar to hit.

The current baseline market is Parrott has 1560 minutes compared to Bamford’s 12 minutes and 1 goal & 1 assist to Bamford’s 0 on both fronts. And like it’s been said here it takes time for these mould of strikers to fully develop so making predictions now is pointless, from his matches he clearly has good ball control, movement and ability what he is lacking is confidence but that will come when he gets older and gets more games and once that happen the goals will follow.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Parrot turned 19 in February, since which he's done shag-all at Ipswich and been sent home. Bamford turned 19 the September he was loaned to MK Dons, getting 3 assists on his debut and impressing sufficiently to for his loan to be extended to the end of the season, and then to be loaned again the following season. That's the point of comparison.
    He was 18 when he first went on loan this season. At this same point Bamford had played 12 minutes and you are hailing him like a god. Want to highlight that this was his second season? This season was Parrotts first and which he 1560 minutes compared to Bamford’s 12 minutes.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    I genuinely could not recall his name ( I am getting old ) but it goes to show that if you don’t make it ( at a decent level ) for what ever reasons you are soon forgotten.

I’m pretty sure that Liam Brady said that if this Guy had some decent pace he could have been a player for the higher levels = = Pace is hugely important !
    Being a tool is probably a bigger hinderance.

21. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Parrott was a world class youth player. He literally destroyed young defenders at the biggest clubs in the world. Incredibly impressive so I can see why people were very excited. He looks very average at senior level thus far, but he has just gone 19 and he was baptised as the great white hope of Irish football from about the age of 16. To be fair, even the English pundits were namechecking him as potentially outstanding.

I think he has it in his locker to be a good international class player in the Premier League but I see nothing to tell me he can be a world class senior player. Plenty of lads can't make the jump up and in some ways Troy is a lesson for me not to be overly excited of the Zefis and Fergusons of this world. Different players develop and decline at different ages and the gap between 16 and 18 or 19 is huge. 2 years ago, I would have said Jason Knight, Nathal Collins and Dara O'Shea would have a good chance of making it as professionals. Now, I think they will have long and successful careers in the Premier League.

What I would say is that confidence is key and a good loan spell to a continental team might be the makings of him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Bamford’s second season he scored 4 league goals, not exactly impressive is it or a high bar to hit.
    Bamford's 4 goals were in 12 games because of injury. Really his season started in March. So that's quite respectable for a young striker I think.

on playing minutes he’s [Bamford] significantly ahead
    "Minutes played" as a stat is largely meaningless btw.

But let's see what happens next season. I find it doubtful that Parrott will score 20 senior goals unfortunately.

Page 31 of 62 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast