Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Games week 20th to 27th

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Northsider View Post
    Well he's just signed a 4 year extension so he's going nowhere for the foreseeable.

Missing out on Europe would be a disaster but it's not a sacking offence, he's done enough good work in the past and the European run was excellent.

Big off season coming up, need to keep a hold of Devoy and Georgie. If we keep losing our best players we will never become realistic title challengers.
    Absolutely. In my opinion, the club needs to start backing him and the squad a little more. Some investment in multi-year contracts for our best (especially our young) players. It can be done in a way that doesnt expose us to much risk but does provide a lot of upside. A win win for Long and for the club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    From what i hear Devoy (at least) is Rovers bound , Long might try to freeze him out the way he did Mandriou to drag it out but are you better off cutting your losses.

I've no idea what Kellys contract situation is but with Derry the new Man City of the LOI youd better tie him down quick.
    He was interviewd on a podcast during the week and he is doing a masters in UCD so it might suit him to stay in Dublin
    Where are you getting the Devoy rumour from? I'm hearing very different. The Mandriou situation can't be compared to this. Devoy kept Mandriou out of the team, he wasn't frozen out, we were a better team without him. Devoy is still one of the first names on the team sheet.

Georgie is in UCD doing a masters degree in economics, and apparently he is being mentored by Dave Tilson. I'd be hopeful he stays, he seems to genuinely love it. But if Derry blow the doors off with a huge offer then he will have to think long and hard about it, finishing above Derry might be crucial for us this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Where are you getting the Devoy rumour from? I'm hearing very different. The Mandriou situation can't be compared to this. Devoy kept Mandriou out of the team, he wasn't frozen out, we were a better team without him. Devoy is still one of the first names on the team sheet.

Georgie is in UCD doing a masters degree in economics, and apparently he is being mentored by Dave Tilson. I'd be hopeful he stays, he seems to genuinely love it. But if Derry blow the doors off with a huge offer then he will have to think long and hard about it, finishing above Derry might be crucial for us this season.
    Just talk tbh but i heard the same about Mandroiu from same people so i guess we will see.
    I think Devoy is excellent but i think Brandon Kavanagh who we have on loan at Bray is excellent as well and would be happy to see him come back in as well as or instead of Devoy.

Given the money Derry have at their disposal i dont think euro money is going to be an issue for them.
    I'm trying to dream about who i would sign for Rovers if i sold my business for 2 billion

I dont buy that bohs were a better team with Devoy than Mandroiu stuff, Danny has scored 8 goals this season compared to Devoy 2 as well as making a huge contribution to overall play, he didn't play for Bohs because Long was annoyed he wanted to leave. Has Long learned from that ? the number of yound lads who stay will say a lot
    Last edited by sbgawa; 20/09/2021 at 11:17 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Devoy is not going to SRFC. Greatest load of s**te that no one should believe. He's a far better player than Mandriou (better attitude as well) and he'll go far further than him provided he stays injury free.

Georgie Kelly is doing a masters in Dublin and specifically signed for Bohs as they're in Dublin and it's part time. He's not going anywhere next season either

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wexfordned View Post
    Georgie Kelly is doing a masters in Dublin and specifically signed for Bohs as they're in Dublin and it's part time. He's not going anywhere next season either
    When did he start the Masters ? They're usually only a year.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Kelly will be signing for Derry that’s after speaking to him at Dalymount tonight not sure if he can squeeze his masters un before doing so or they are giving him a few months but he will be with Derry.

To be honest only solace taken off a serious boot in the you know whats is now knowing he will be on the opposite side next year.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wexfordned View Post
    Devoy is not going to SRFC. Greatest load of s**te that no one should believe. He's a far better player than Mandriou (better attitude as well) and he'll go far further than him provided he stays injury free.

Ha you might want to ask him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    he didn't play for Bohs because Long was annoyed he wanted to leave. Has Long learned from that ? the number of yound lads who stay will say a lot
    Thats utter nonsense. He was sub in the very first game of the season (against Shamrock Rovers) and was lucky not to be sent off. When we went on our long unbeaten run that propelled us up the table he was sub throughout. He was a fringe player in his final season.

It didn't work out for him, it happens, look at Georgie Kelly for example. Doesn't mean he's a bad player, but Bohs were simply better last year when he didn't start. The stats prove this beyond doubt.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    What isn't in dispute is that Kelly is a goalscorer - I did predict he'd be top scorer at the start of the season.
    I've heard no rumours about any bohs player joining Rovers but devoy is well thought of throughout the league.
    Bohs have to win the cup or hope pats win it now, to qualify for Europe- you'd have to assume that would be a factor in who goes where next season.
    Personally I'd love to have Fitzgerald & the goalkeeper from Derry at Rovers next season, but this impending wealth on the bogside may prevent that from happening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Don’t know where you’re coming up with that from. 7 points behind us with 2 games in hand. And they still have to play us again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Thats utter nonsense. He was sub in the very first game of the season (against Shamrock Rovers) and was lucky not to be sent off. When we went on our long unbeaten run that propelled us up the table he was sub throughout. He was a fringe player in his final season.

It didn't work out for him, it happens, look at Georgie Kelly for example. Doesn't mean he's a bad player, but Bohs were simply better last year when he didn't start. The stats prove this beyond doubt.
    Hard to improve your stats if your manager has a face on him and keeps you benched

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Listening to pundits this season you'd swear Bohs would be top 'only for a bad start'. 18 points off top isn't a bad start it's a bad season. If they don't win the cup Long might have questions to answer, even if their players do get player of the month each month.
    Here on a technicality.

13. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Where would Bohs be in terms of the largest budgets?

Please don't say fourth unless you think it actually is fourth biggest, thank you please.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    Listening to pundits this season you'd swear Bohs would be top 'only for a bad start'. 18 points off top isn't a bad start it's a bad season. If they don't win the cup Long might have questions to answer, even if their players do get player of the month each month.
    They got 8 points in the first 9 games of the season, 25% of the games is a bit more than just the start!

They get a remarkably easy time in the media for their domestic form based off of their European performances. Alan Cawley for example who is number 1 Bohs fan these days would have you believe they’re the best side in the country bar none. The 'bad start' is part of the 36 games in the season and you finish where you deserve to finish at the end of the season
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Budget wise id say Dundalk then Rovers with Dundalk double Rovers according to wild Bill
    I would say there is very little budget wise between Sligo and Pats then not a lot between Bohs and Derry (pre Higgins)
    Longford at 10, Harps and Waterford (pre Bircham) 7 and 8 and Drogheda 9 probably not a whole lot between them either.
    Just my impressions obv

In truth there is probably only 250k-300k between 3rd and 6th.
    Long also benefits from the pick of the St Kevins Academy Devoy,Tierney, Lyons etc and then gets lauded for discovering them by people who should know better.
    He has been in charge for 7 years and won nothing. thank God he has 3 more years on his contract as someone said earlier.

I agree if you listened to pundits you would imagine they were close but they are excellent at PR and journalists are lazy by nature and just regurgitate whatever is fed to them. Easy to get up for the odd big match but they were a last minute equalizer last night from 10 losses in 25 matches and that has to be Management issue, just like at Dundalk (not as bad obviously or indeed remotely)..
    Last edited by sbgawa; 21/09/2021 at 12:39 PM.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Since 2011, Bohs have only been in a position to have any reasonable expectation of winning a trophy in the last 2/3 years. Even the word "expectation" is stretching it a bit, with the exception of this year. The growth in the club over that time is obvious. Long has done a very good job, as has Croly since he came in. The time has come to add a cup win and there is pressure there now. Not "sack the manager" pressure but pressure nonetheless.
    I do agree that this season we have gotten some unjustified praise, that's not commensurate with our league performance. Fair enough. Our first series of games was horrific and we don't get to disown that. We didn't manage the end of the Harps game very well and we didn't manage the end of the Derry game very well, so the same issue from earlier in the year still exists. Albeit not to the same extreme. Bohs get in to Europe by whatever means necessary then it's a good season. Bohs don't and it's a disappointing one. All hangs in the balance for Bohs this year. We have a team that are prone to dramatic moments (good and bad) but very hard to trust. I don't have a clue what will happen.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Long also benefits from the pick of the St Kevins Academy Devoy,Tierney, Lyons etc and then gets lauded for discovering them

Devoy, Tierney and Lyons played for our senior team when they were 17 and came up through our under 19`s . I think that Long and Crolly deserve some credit for identifying the potential and developing those players ?
    Anyway , while you are banging your normal drum about Saint Kevin`s, you can give a little drum roll for your star player Kevin Zeffi who was hardly in the door to you from Saint Kevin`s ( gosh, how was it possible for him to escape the dastardly Bohs/Kevin`s "pick of" deal?), when you off loaded him to Italy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Kelly will be signing for Derry that’s after speaking to him at Dalymount tonight not sure if he can squeeze his masters un before doing so or they are giving him a few months but he will be with Derry.

To be honest only solace taken off a serious boot in the you know whats is now knowing he will be on the opposite side next year.
    All this talk of Derry and money bags.
    Have their owners actually spent any money on players yet?
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Devoy, Tierney and Lyons played for our senior team when they were 17 and came up through our under 19`s . I think that Long and Crolly deserve some credit for identifying the potential and developing those players ?
    Anyway , while you are banging your normal drum about Saint Kevin`s, you can give a little drum roll for your star player Kevin Zeffi who was hardly in the door to you from Saint Kevin`s ( gosh, how was it possible for him to escape the dastardly Bohs/Kevin`s "pick of" deal?), when you off loaded him to Italy.
    Well number one we would have loved him to stay and number 2 he obviously wasn't happy at the prospect of playing for bohs so he left
    I wouldn't call him our star player btw but he was certainly a talent who hopefully will play for Ireland one day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pateen View Post
    All this talk of Derry and money bags.
    Have their owners actually spent any money on players yet?
    The owner has been covering Derry’s losses financially for years in order to balance the books. The sale of his company has only it gone through. Derry have already announced McEleney will be signing once his contract with Dundalk expires. The manager has also signed a long term contract. Suspect they’ll be quick off the market once the season ends.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast