Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Games weekend 13th to 15th August

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Sligo had some chances, but were blunt in front of goal- Parkes couldn't stay onside at all and Kenny skied a sitter. Big difference from earlier on in the season when they were clinical. I thought every game this year against them were belters. We created a sack full of chances today. Can't see how they've lost the last 5 based on their performance today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Certainly an improvement on the last few games but that wouldn’t be too hard . Romeo needs to take that chance in the first half and learn to stay onside.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I'm only responsible for myself... DT made a comment about our support , i made a pretty even handed response....end of story from my perspective.
    Dublin was a pretty violent city in the 70's and " big match" occasions led inevitably to violence( pretty terrible scenes at a Bohs / Sligo cup semi replay 76/77?for example)
    The worst I experienced was the first Dublin GAA league game after the All Ireland breakthrough in 74.They essentially sacked the town of Athy.
    Despite our success in the field in the 70'a ( 2 leagues and two cups).Bohs had a poor enough support, and certainly no consistently attending " element". Rovers had that in spades, also had a lot of decent fans, the lady with the dog dressed in the Rovers jersey springs to mind.
    Anyway, more a topic for the League of Ireland Mens Shed that I plan to open with Calcio and Sbgawa!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Dublin was a pretty violent city in the 70's and " big match" occasions led inevitably to violence( pretty terrible scenes at a Bohs / Sligo cup semi replay 76/77?for example)
    The worst I experienced was the first Dublin GAA league game after the All Ireland breakthrough in 74.They essentially sacked the town of Athy.
    Despite our success in the field in the 70'a ( 2 leagues and two cups).Bohs had a poor enough support, and certainly no consistently attending " element". Rovers had that in spades, also had a lot of decent fans, the lady with the dog dressed in the Rovers jersey springs to mind.
    Anyway, more a topic for the League of Ireland Mens Shed that I plan to open with Calcio and Sbgawa!
    Watch out that the Rovers element don’t rush your Men’s Shed and throw you out like they did with the Shed during the 70s 😄

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Calcio, Rovers were never not in the Shed in the 70's , they usually occupied both ends of the ground behind both goals and battered anyone who cheered when a goal was scored against them... Dublin in the rare oul times!
    I do ike the idea of geriatric Bohs and Rovers fans having a crack off each other though!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Waterford have become a pain in our ass now. They’ll take points from clubs that they wouldn’t have been expected to earlier in the season. It’s Harps, Waterford and AN Other for play offs. Someone else will get sucked into this unexpectedly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    [QUOTE=Dalymountrower;2084516]Calcio, Rovers were never not in the Shed in the 70's , they usually occupied both ends of the ground behind both goals and battered anyone who cheered when a goal was scored against them... Dublin in the rare oul times!
    I do ike the idea of geriatric Bohs and Rovers fans having a crack off each other though![

True we did occupy both ends but genuinely no one was getting battered when we conceded - I attended every Bohs/Rovers match during the 70s and never saw any trouble in the ground… outside was a different matter ….

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Impressed with Harps at the weekend. A comprehensive win and they played some good football. Thought Olly was hard done by. The first yellow for him and his assistant was because the ref had missed a foul on the centre forward. don't know what the second was for but the fourth official seemed fixated by the Harps bench. Thought Longford were poor even though I would have loved to see them win. I think Harps will kick on.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Bit strange to see a 3-0 win where the winning keeper is singled out for praise - Longford must have had something about them in the game?

Hard to see any way back for them now of course; that's a huge gap after building up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Bit strange to see a 3-0 win where the winning keeper is singled out for praise - Longford must have had something about them in the game?

Hard to see any way back for them now of course; that's a huge gap after building up.
    He made one big save, and a handful of bread and butter saves, but had little else to be doing really. It was all Harps for about 70 minutes of the game.

The fourth official was Michael Connolly, the most local official in the league to Finn Park, and he does not hide his dislike of Ollie Horgan..
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finlay Harp View Post
    Waterford have become a pain in our ass now. They’ll take points from clubs that they wouldn’t have been expected to earlier in the season. It’s Harps, Waterford and AN Other for play offs. Someone else will get sucked into this unexpectedly.
    Whoever ends up in the play off should comfortably beat the First Division team unless they're coming into it on the back of a Shels style collapse.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Well - a fully professional Galway could put it up to some PD teams as they seem to have their act together a bit now.

I wouldn't be too sure at all about the PD side winning the playoff.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Fair enough you'd be more familiar with Galway's form than I am but aside from fitness I don't see a squad to be feared really. Anyway it won't be something we'll have to concern ourselves with unfortunately.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    They were certainly muck to start the season, and I suspect there's players signed because they'll go fully pro, not because they're any good.

But their form has improved since the break (22 points from 27), they only lost 2-0 in Tallaght in the Cup, and they beat Shels 3-1 at the weekend.

Wouldn't be as confident about UCD/Bray/Treaty winning a playoff of course.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    [QUOTE=Calcio Jack;2084522]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Calcio, Rovers were never not in the Shed in the 70's , they usually occupied both ends of the ground behind both goals and battered anyone who cheered when a goal was scored against them... Dublin in the rare oul times!
    I do ike the idea of geriatric Bohs and Rovers fans having a crack off each other though![

True we did occupy both ends but genuinely no one was getting battered when we conceded - I attended every Bohs/Rovers match during the 70s and never saw any trouble in the ground… outside was a different matter ….
    Witnessed it myself on numerous occasions, at one point an infamous Hoop, who I am sure you will know of, stood beside us small group of Bohs kids high up on the Tramway end and showed us a hatchet under his jacket that he would use on us if we cheered.
    My 70's experiences of those games are the source of my enduring antipathy.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Yeah. Olly was in stand and went down to say something to his assistant and next minute was surrounded by guys in stewards tops. Unnecessary I thought, from where I was he did not have a go at anyone. Agree about the ref if it had been a mean spirited game about 10 would have been sent off. The game was played in a good spirit and no need for half the cards.
    I remember a game a few years ago when both in First division and Harps got stuck in and knocked lumps out of Longford especially Aodh. That was not the case at the weekend.

17. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Agreed the keeper made one exceptional save which was probably the moment of the match. Love or loath Olly and I cannot make up my mind he has done an exceptional job with Harps and the league need characters like him. People do not see all the work he does. He spends huge amount of time in Longford watching opposition games. Leaving all the hoohah behind he puts in the work and is one of the better managers in the league. great to see Sean Boyd back up and running.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    [QUOTE=Dalymountrower;2084541]
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Witnessed it myself on numerous occasions, at one point an infamous Hoop, who I am sure you will know of, stood beside us small group of Bohs kids high up on the Tramway end and showed us a hatchet under his jacket that he would use on us if we cheered.
    My 70's experiences of those games are the source of my enduring antipathy.
    Fair enough - and yes I can guess the identity of that guy… used to hang out selling newspaper outside the GPO ? Anyway not doubting or looking to excuse that individual

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stav View Post
    Impressed with Harps at the weekend. A comprehensive win and they played some good football. Thought Olly was hard done by. The first yellow for him and his assistant was because the ref had missed a foul on the centre forward. don't know what the second was for but the fourth official seemed fixated by the Harps bench. Thought Longford were poor even though I would have loved to see them win. I think Harps will kick on.
    He really doesn't help himself but his reputation means that officals can't wait to send him off. Was it earlier in the season against Rovers at home he got sent off for no apparent reason?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    He was sent off in Ballybofey against Rovers for protesting about the Ref reversing a decision on a free from which Rovers than went ahead and scored.
    I Love Ollie but i dont get all the roaring and shouting at fourth officials or Refs, when was the last time one of them changed there minds after a bollocking from a player or Manager.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast