Page 32 of 81 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI In Europe 2020

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    You'll have to explain your reasoning for this to be honest.

Dundalk have a great chance of getting to the EL groups now - but the proposed changes mean that the defeat to Celje would have seen them bypass the EL entirely. So that's clearly not an increased possibility of the group stage.

Dundalk probably won't win the league this year (though that's far from certain yet), but if that happens, then again, the EL gets bypassed. So again, clearly not an increased possibility of the group stage.
    The 'Honest Logic Box’ seeks reasoning to try to pluck apart – quelle surprise!

If the proposed changes to UEFA competitions goes ahead in the way that they have been flagged, it is likely to lead to additional Group Stages opportunities for Dundalk and other League of Ireland clubs across all 3 competitions - Champions League (CL), Europa League (EL) European Conference League (ECL)

While CL group stages may not be any more accessible because of the standard of opposition and the recent extra QFR, the introduction of ECL would see other group stage places rise from 48 places to 64 places between EL and ECL (32 each)

A defeat in CL QFR1 (like to Celje) would mean a dropdown to ECL and 3 rounds to make ECL Group stages, aided by a CL Champions Path and separate EL dropdown draw stream – the same number of rounds, but probably more winnable ties than EL previously

But crucially a defeat in EL QRR2 onwards (like against Sheiff) wih give the added safety net of ECL group stage route if eliminated at EL.

And if the LoI champions do get through a round of the CL, then the path is roughly the same as at present, in that they have two EL rounds to get through.

So in two scenarios, it is in fact impossible to reach the EL groups, and in the third scenario, it is roughly the same. How does that lead to an increased likelihood of qualifying?
    The 33% increases in EL & ECL group places when compared wih EL alone - these extra 16 places are very accessable LoI CL qualifying teams

On Corbet - and I should note that that is one hell of a tangent you've gone off on; often the sign of someone looking to distract from the size of the whole they've dug themselves into, but anyhoo - but he's putting his Master's Degree from one of the top colleges in the country to good use in the real world of work. Absolutely had the potential to be as good as Rogers, but there's life and better jobs beyond football, and the latter shouldn't get in the way of the former.

But I think you knew that anyway.
    Tangent, holes - you can be unintentional good craic a times, if you did't take yourself so seriously

I wish Nial Corbet well as he plays out his football in he backwaters of Clonaslee GAA, but your oblique, dare I say tangential reference to Fintan Cassidy (presumably intended as some sort of dig at me) reminded me about the foolishness of he comment about Corbet being a better keeper than Gary Rogers ( I know you subsequently backtracked to say "potential" - that made it all the more amusing)
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 21/09/2020 at 2:03 AM. Reason: dodgy spelling, weak logic. Inserting 'Honest'

2. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    The 'Honest Logic Box’ seeks reasoning to try to pluck apart – quelle surprise!

If the proposed changes to UEFA competitions goes ahead in the way that they have been flagged, it is likely to lead to additional Group Stages opportunities for Dundalk and other League of Ireland clubs across all 3 competitions - Champions League (CL), Europa League (EL) European Conference League (ECL)
    It will lead to fewer group stage opportunities for the LoI at CL level.

It will lead to fewer group stage opportunities for the LoI at EL level, as I've shown.

It will lead to group stage opportunities for the LoI at ECL level - but that's not what we were talking about, it it? The point was very clearly about the EL group stages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    It will lead to fewer group stage opportunities for the LoI at CL level.

It will lead to fewer group stage opportunities for the LoI at EL level, as I've shown.

It will lead to group stage opportunities for the LoI at ECL level - but that's not what we were talking about, it it? The point was very clearly about the EL group stages.
    That’s what I have posted about. You stick with your own narrow agenda if you wish.

If it all happens, Without a doubt it will provide more group stage opportunities for League if Ireland clubs. I don’t think clubs will be too bothered about which logo is on the match ticket if the clubs are making money from it and building new euro experiences

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    That’s what I have posted about. You stick with your own narrow agenda if you wish.

If it all happens, Without a doubt it will provide more group stage opportunities for League if Ireland clubs. I don’t think clubs will be too bothered about which logo is on the match ticket if the clubs are making money from it and building new euro experiences
    Given there is significantly different income involved with each different level of European competition, clubs WILL obviously be bothered about which one they're in. All will want to be in the most lucrative stream they can be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    In simple terms if you win the league you have a better chance of Group stages than ever before.
    If you don't at best you have similar chance and probably for less money.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Given there is significantly different income involved with each different level of European competition, clubs WILL obviously be bothered about which one they're in. All will want to be in the most lucrative stream they can be.
    Of course any ambitious club will want to compete at the highest and most lucrative level, but overall having more group stage possibilities across the 3 competitions is a big potential benefit to Loi clubs

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    In simple terms if you win the league you have a better chance of Group stages than ever before.
    If you don't at best you have similar chance and probably for less money.
    First part is clear. Second part about less money less so. It may be that LOI clubs have the capacity to go further in ECL even if money per round is less than EL. Time will tell

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Dundalk will probably never get a better chance again to qualify for the Europa League group stage. It'll take a huge effort to get past Sheriff, but they've a very winnable game after that if they can manage it.
    Never get a better chance again? Do you know something the rest of us don't about the future of this competition?

It's the best draw available and gives a glint of hope of making the group stages if Sheriff can be sorted. The odds will be stacked against us - but thats just one of the exciting parts of European football

But, sure...whatever.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    [QUOTE=Ezeikial;2049375]First part is clear. Second part about less money less so. It may be that LOI clubs have the capacity to go further in ECL even if money per round is less than EL. Time will tell)
    Ezeikial for the uneducated like me whats diff between ECL and EL if you dont mind. I havent much time to think about future European competions .Just focusing on family and trying to get a job again so havent time to take in properly with COVID.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    But, sure...whatever.
    Another with the blinkers on. See post #621 in the unlikely even that you have even the slightest interest in something other than pure pedantics of European group competiions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    [QUOTE=Martinho II;2049383]
    First part is clear. Second part about less money less so. It may be that LOI clubs have the capacity to go further in ECL even if money per round is less than EL. Time will tell)
    Ezeikial for the uneducated like me whats diff between ECL and EL if you dont mind. I havent much time to think about future European competions .Just focusing on family and trying to get a job again so havent time to take in properly with COVID.
    These wikipedia articles may help, although changes will take place to Europa League when / if Europa Conference League is introduced

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_E...ference_League

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_League

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    That’s what I have posted about.
    Nigel - who you were replying to - has got in before me to point out that it wasn't what you were posting about. The comment made was "Dundalk will probably never get a better chance again to qualify for the Europa League group stage" (my emphasis), to which you replied "Never get a better chance again? Do you know something the rest of us don't about the future of this competition?" (again my emphasis)

So Nigel was correct.

But sure lookit, as you seem to be one of these who changes what point they're making during a discussion, I'll just leave you with it.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Back on topic btw, one other snippet is that Waterford are getting close to knowing whether they'll be in the UEFA Youth League this year - the draw is in two weeks' time. They need four clubs to qualify both for the CL proper and the Youth League - Man City and Atalanta are two. That said, entrants are all a little bit up in the air yet, and it's not easy to see who the other two might be (Celta Vigo, Köln and Angers are the Spanish, German and French underage champions for example) So probably not looking great for them to be honest, which would be a shame as Irish clubs have always acquitted themselves very well in it to date.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    It always amuses me how much UCD and Harps fans get worked up in discussions about Europe and league titles.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Good point well argued, as to be expected with a The Lilywhites post.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ezekial making up his own competition in his narrow little head is he?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Another with the blinkers on. See post #621 in the unlikely even that you have even the slightest interest in something other than pure pedantics of European group competiions
    If I'm responding to a post, I tend to stick to the point. Yours may have been slightly off topic, given that the entire discussion surrounded your questioning of my initial statement, that I quoted again for you.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    It always amuses me how much UCD and Harps fans get worked up in discussions about Europe and league titles.
    Go on then, humour me.

Where have I posted such things other than suggesting it's a great opportunity for Dundalk?
    Last edited by nigel-harps1954; 21/09/2020 at 10:38 PM.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Ezekial making up his own competition in his narrow little head is he?
    Paul, if you are ignorant about the Europa Conference League, perhaps a UK themed article might be easier to digest for you. Is a "narrow little head" intended as a strange personal insult - does it speak more about you?

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...eague-18936794

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    If I'm responding to a post, I tend to stick to the point. Yours may have been slightly off topic, given that the entire discussion surrounded your questioning of my initial statement, that I quoted again for you.
    To be fair, you did specifically mention future Europa League group stages as opposed to considering the group stages of he Champions League or Europa Conference League as well.

Apologies if widening out the discussion has upset you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Interesting to note that AC Milan played Bolonga last night and triumphed by 2‐0 both scored by Zlatan. So, once again no shame, Rovers!

Page 32 of 81 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast