Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Whelan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

Glenn Whelan

i think he deserves his own thread. im beginning to accept traps decision to play whelan instead of reid in central midfield now. trap just wants him to break things up and put it about a bit. he was magnificant last night, won the ball back countless times and got stuck in. now i think we prob all accept that reid is a better player but for the role trap wants him to play hes perfect. 9 points from our next 3 home games will do very nicely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah I was a bit sceptical about his inclusion in the side from day 1, didnt know much about him but didnt rate him in the first few friendly games alongside Miller (who was the poorer of the 2)... but fair play to him last night, did a job well. I think Reid's presence gives Whelan more confidence in himself and the strength of the midfield, which makes him less prone to giving the ball away stupidly (which he was doing a lot previously).

He's by no means a great player, but I think he is playing to his strengths and understands his role in the team and if he continues to get that right he earns his jersey.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I'm itching to see if he starts aginst Everton on Sunday!!!
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    so far pretty good for Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    ...trap just wants him to break things up and put it about a bit...
    He preferred that kind of midfield at Juve too. I think he'll stick with it unless he runs out of competent players for those roles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    i think he deserves his own thread. im beginning to accept traps decision to play whelan instead of reid in central midfield now. trap just wants him to break things up and put it about a bit. he was magnificant last night, won the ball back countless times and got stuck in. now i think we prob all accept that reid is a better player but for the role trap wants him to play hes perfect. 9 points from our next 3 home games will do very nicely.
    Yes 100% correct!

I don't think anyone in their right mind could ever suggest that Andy Reid is a proven holding midfielder in a defensive team. Hes an attacking player if anything. Can't see him featuring much in this team. Also, Andy Reid was championship player in England last year and is now only playing for a mid table premiership in England. Hardly world class. The way some people go on here and in the media you would think Reid is something special which is not. A good player but lacks fitness and pace - a bit like Beckham.

There is not need to call Stevie Ireland back either, he doesn't fit into the system.

Darly Murphy should be playing!!! One day you will agree with me when Murphy gets his chance he will not let us down - I promise!!!
    The deepest layer of human thinking and feeling somehow knows that God must exist - Pope Benedict XVI

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    I've also been won over by Whelan. there is no doubt that we are looking a lot more solid with him sitting in front of the central defenders. He's actually more effective and more productive than Carsley was in what was a similar role. Still not happy though that we cannot find a place for Andy Reid particularly as we are still not giving Robbie and Doyle any really decent supply. I agree that reid does not have the pace to play wide, but does a 4-4-2 system with two wide players actually work for our strikers? Maybe the answer is a 4-1-2-3 system.

Whelan in front of the back four, Reid and Reid ahead of him and a front three of Doyle, McGeady and Keane. Actually think that this system would suit McGeady better as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    I feel that Whelan should keep his place in the side and does a better job than Andy Reid woudl do in a similar role. However, that said, last night Hunt gave the ballaway on numerous occassions very cheaply. Against Montenegro it wasn't too costly as they were similarly poor in possession. However against better sides it is imperative that all our players are comfortable in possession. Set piece delivery was also awful from Hunt last night. These are two of A.Reid's main strengths and for these reasons alone it is possibly justifiable to call for his inclusion.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by finnpark View Post
    Also, Andy Reid was championship player in England last year and is now only playing for a mid table premiership in England. Hardly world class. The way some people go on here and in the media you would think Reid is something special which is not. A good player but lacks fitness and pace - a bit like Beckham.
    I thought the title of the thread was Glenn Whelan not andy reid bashing?! Very unjust in my opinion. He has made a great start to life at sunderland. As the commentator pointed out last nite - his opta stats are up there with anyone in the premier league right now.

You cant say that hunty has pace now can you? I'd love to see a race between the two of them... it would be ridiculously close! Andy Reid has to come in on the left wing for me. Hunty was atrocious with the ball at his feet last nite. Doyle and Keane would benefit much more with the craft of Reid in the team. I wouldnt worry about the defensive side of his game. If Trap can get McGeady to track back he can do it with Andy Reid. To say he lacks fitness is wrong as well. Would Roy Keane tolerate him in the middle of the park for Sunderland week in week out if he wasnt up to it fitness wise?? In my opinion that argument is a not starter. Regardless of whether he looks fat or not!

Delighted with the effort from the whole team last nite...i think stephen kelly when back from injury will be a better option than finnan at right back but other than that i think we have a fighting chance of qualifying!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bogwarrior View Post
    Delighted with the effort from the whole team last nite...i think stephen kelly when back from injury will be a better option than finnan at right back but other than that i think we have a fighting chance of qualifying!!
    Er...no.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finnpark View Post

Darly Murphy should be playing!!! One day you will agree with me when Murphy gets his chance he will not let us down - I promise!!!
    Can you not even go for one day without bringing up that shyte.Hes a decent player and Im glad he's in the squad but thats all he is, a decent squad player. Hes had plenty of chances in the Premiership and hasnt scored fcuk all....
    Im ignoring my own advice by not ignoring this but its getting very old at this stage
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergie's Son View Post
    Er...no.
    Correct, how wrong was kelly ahead of finnan, imagine that, are you off your chuck bogwarrior..

Good thread well deserved.
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Anyone read Paul McGrath in the Indo? Basically saying Whelan has proved his doubts to be misplaced and while he maintains there's a role for Andy Reid in the team it's definitely not at Whelan's expense.

McGrath's whole summary was spot on im my view, though I can't find it online to post here.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I thought the title of the thread was Glenn Whelan not andy reid bashing?! Very unjust in my opinion. He has made a great start to life at sunderland. As the commentator pointed out last nite - his opta stats are up there with anyone in the premier league right now.

You cant say that hunty has pace now can you? I'd love to see a race between the two of them... it would be ridiculously close! Andy Reid has to come in on the left wing for me. Hunty was atrocious with the ball at his feet last nite. Doyle and Keane would benefit much more with the craft of Reid in the team. I wouldnt worry about the defensive side of his game. If Trap can get McGeady to track back he can do it with Andy Reid. To say he lacks fitness is wrong as well. Would Roy Keane tolerate him in the middle of the park for Sunderland week in week out if he wasnt up to it fitness wise?? In my opinion that argument is a not starter. Regardless of whether he looks fat or not!

you were going so well until you brought Kelly into it.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    it was good to see Dunphy say he was wrong about Whelan aswel,i know hes a dead brain at times but at least he seen he was wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FarBeag View Post
    you were going so well until you brought Kelly into it.
    Agreed!!!!!!!!!
    Thats Crazy Talk!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    it was good to see Dunphy say he was wrong about Whelan aswel,i know hes a dead brain at times but at least he seen he was wrong.
    Agreed but i think he got it wrong about Hunt, he had a stinker!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 0325422 View Post
    Agreed but i think he got it wrong about Hunt, he had a stinker!!!
    Hunt wasn't very good going forward, but he made some crucial tackles in our half. His tracking back was tremendous that game.

As for Whelan, I was very doubtful about his inclusion from the beginning, but he really has been one of the stars in our two games so far. Obviously his goal was a bit lucky, but in fairness he had the courage to shoot from there and based on his two performances, getting a goal is fair.

Hopefully Whelan can get some game time with Stoke or on loan so that he can stay match fit for our game next month.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Getting a roasting over mentioning Stephen Kelly! Lads - he played every premier league game for birmingham last season and was runner up as their player of the year. I know they were relegated blah blah blah but he performed consistently well.

Finnan was let go by liverpool coz he's past it, and based on wednesdays inept display i think we should shift him on as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Finnan was let go by liverpool coz he's past it
    So I guess he was picked up by Espanyol because he's past it as well?
    based on wednesdays inept display i think we should shift him on as well.
    Inept display? How many crosses came in from the Montenergrin's left wing? I didn't see any. Finnan was composed, calm, rarely gave the ball away, and linked well with the rest of the defence as well McGeady in front of him. Kelly will be back in the squad when he's recovered from injury, but there's no way he's going to displace Finnan on that form.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast