Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Irn Bru Cup 2018

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Playing Reserve teams and lower league sides is an embarrassment.
    Can understand the point about U20 teams.

But LoI is lower league. As the results have shown.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Can understand the point about U20 teams.

But LoI is lower league. As the results have shown.
    Perhaps, but we've consistently outperformed all non Celtic Scottish clubs in Europe. I realise there is a gap in the LOI between the top and bottom of the Premier but entering this lowers the perception of the league as a whole. The league isn't perfect and there are biggest issues we need to face but it doesn't help us.

I don't begrudge any LOI fan a trip to see their team play in this competition but its a lose-lose situation. Best case scenario you win it and you get "sure you were supposed to be beating that lot". You don't win it and its "sure you couldn't even beat Celtics reserves".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    I don't think the kind of people who would judge the league based on a loss to Falkirk are the kind of people who would be convinced to give it a go anyway in fairness.

I wouldn't be too worried about their view tbh.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest that we turned it down. I'm sure if it was financially rewarding then we would have gone for it.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Hoping for an away match. It’s as close to a European trip as we get these days.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    imo the Irn Bru Cup would have more respect if it was a knock cup competion both home and away. why does it have to be in scotland the whole time I ask?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    imo the Irn Bru Cup would have more respect if it was a knock cup competion both home and away. why does it have to be in scotland the whole time I ask?
    Sligo played Falkirk in The Showgrounds last year...
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    I think one of each of the two teams from each foreign country is at home.

Is there any prize money?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Well we arent exactly stuck out in the West. Buses are allowed to leave the Pale in case you didnt know. Knock airport 50 minutes down the road too.
    We cant turn down money and we would need to win 3 ties to get through to Quarters , which is only 2 weeks after our season ends. I'm sure if it came to it any team could make an arrangement with players if they had to.
    Scotland is a big/spread out country that's not very well inter-connected.

Knock Airport may be almost an hour down the road from Sligo, but where will it get you to in Scotland ? Just Edinburgh. With one flight a day. Six days a week. See how you get on travelling from Sligo to play someone like Peterhead or Elgin, via the Knock to Edinburgh flight.

In comparison Dublin Airport has multiple flights to Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Inverness. Plus also Carlisle, which could be handy for fixtures in the south-west of Scotland. The ferry from Belfast to Cairnryan is also much more doable from Dublin than it is from Sligo Handy for games against Stranraer, for example.

No matter what way you look at it is will be easier, quicker and cheaper for a Dublin club to fulfil fixtures in Scotland than it will be for Sligo. I appreciate it's annoying, but it's the way things are.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 02/08/2018 at 11:14 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    It isn't though.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 02/08/2018 at 11:21 PM.

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Perhaps, but we've consistently outperformed all non Celtic Scottish clubs in Europe.
    When was the last time an LOI side played a Scottish team in Europe though ? Since then, there have been 2 parallel dynamics which I think have changed things quite a bit.

Firstly - LOI teams are not as good as they were 10 or so years ago when there was a lot more money (and professional players) knocking around the league.

Secondly - the SPL is now less of an Old Firm stitch up, what with Rangers being out of it for 4 years and not finishing in the Top 2 since they got back. That appears to have allowed other teams to develop a bit e.g. Aberdeen and Hibs. You only have to look at how Aberdeen did against Burnley in Europe - registering two score draws, and only going out in extra time away from home. Would any LOI side have done the same against Burnley if we're honest ? I fear that both Aberdeen and Hibernians would knock any LOI side out of Europe these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    When was the last time an LOI side played a Scottish team in Europe though ? Since then, there have been 2 parallel dynamics which I think have changed things quite a bit.

Firstly - LOI teams are not as good as they were 10 or so years ago when there was a lot more money (and professional players) knocking around the league.

Secondly - the SPL is now less of an Old Firm stitch up, what with Rangers being out of it for 4 years and not finishing in the Top 2 since they got back. That appears to have allowed other teams to develop a bit e.g. Aberdeen and Hibs. You only have to look at how Aberdeen did against Burnley in Europe - registering two score draws, and only going out in extra time away from home. Would any LOI side have done the same against Burnley if we're honest ? I fear that both Aberdeen and Hibernians would knock any LOI side out of Europe these days.
    City gave Burnley a game two weeks ago. Lost one nil with mostly our subs and some kids and trialists. I think English teams are beatable at this stage. West ham got beaten by a Maltese or Gibraltar side I think?
    If you want a direct comparison take a look at Scottish and Irish teams records against Swedish teams.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    In friendly games? I couldn't give a **** about those games, I rarely attend. Those games are designed to milk barstoolers and LOI clubs rarely play starting XIs.
    City gave Burnley a game two weeks ago.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    If you want a direct comparison take a look at Scottish and Irish teams records against Swedish teams.
    I'd say if you wanted a direct comparison, you should compare Scottish and Irish teams' records against each other to be honest.

Comparing them against a country we happen to have an unusually good record against isn't a direct comparison.

Last IRL v SCO meeting in Europe was Derry v Gretna (featuring the memorable SuperGretna). Obviously that was the peak of the LoI bubble against a side just promoted from the Second Division (albeit with a lot of money behind them), so it's not a great comparison.

I think if you take out not just Cork and Dundalk - who are clearly well clear of the other clubs at the moment - but also the two other European qualifiers, then the Irn-Bru playing field is quite level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Like I said. Rarely. I went along to that one last minute to see if Ronan Coughlan was any good.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Hoping for an away match. It’s as close to a European trip as we get these days.
    F**kin dead right.
    If I was a boez fan(&#128561 I'd be definitely pencilling this trip in.

It seems fans are here are "only thinking of my clubs finances" when they rubbish this tournament. What about their own selfish needs/wants?
    What about going away with a group of lads & lasses on the pi$$ for 2/3 days in a foreign town, and having great craic.
    Ive been away with Rovers on countless euro trips/ pre season friendlys etc and the buzz and camaraderie it creates amongst the fan base often made up for the dirge we were forced to watch on the pitch.
    Why any LOI fan would want to turn that down is beyond me!!
    It's a reward for suffering through the pains of LOI.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Disappointed but the reasons given by the club were valid. When it’s laid out it does seem financially unviable if you progress in the tournament.
    Presumably Pats will be paying their players the week of the early rounds anyway ? Only additional costs are potential travel costs, probably little more than a trip to Sligo or Cork ? As the FAI accepted the invitation to participate clubs should take up with them the issue of costs arirsing BEFORE the season starts (not like it was just invented).

Hilarious BTW, that a concern is 'progress in the tounrnament '

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts

It isn't. one off match EITHER home or way. I think (maybe others able to confirm) that one team is guaranteed to be drawn home in the first round and one away.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Fairly certain that travels costs for the teams from Ireland, the North, Wales and England are covered by the organisers

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Scotland is a big/spread out country that's not very well inter-connected.

Knock Airport may be almost an hour down the road from Sligo, but where will it get you to in Scotland ? Just Edinburgh. With one flight a day. Six days a week. See how you get on travelling from Sligo to play someone like Peterhead or Elgin, via the Knock to Edinburgh flight.

In comparison Dublin Airport has multiple flights to Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Inverness. Plus also Carlisle, which could be handy for fixtures in the south-west of Scotland. The ferry from Belfast to Cairnryan is also much more doable from Dublin than it is from Sligo Handy for games against Stranraer, for example.

No matter what way you look at it is will be easier, quicker and cheaper for a Dublin club to fulfil fixtures in Scotland than it will be for Sligo. I appreciate it's annoying, but it's the way things are.
    First off Im not saying its annoying. We are used to travelling to away games. Our away games are actually away games, unlike a lot of teams in the Pale. The price of a bus to Dublin or around Scotland isint going to be the make or break on finances when you consider whether to to take up the invitation to that competition.

The geography of the club isint an excuse or a burden, its just how it is. In fairness by your logic we would should probably not compete in Europe or even the LOI for that matter because we have to travel further. Sligo Rovers is sometimes called the North West Frontier in terms of football (there is pretty good book of that name by Conall Collier who follows Rovers around in the 1990s). It will give you a good insight into how much travelling has to be done. Travel costs us more than most clubs and fans. Its the way it is, we are well used.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast