For reference:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    OK, try this one:

Then try and tell me that Bangor is in Belfast.
    Well done on finding Bangor.

But this is your problem. I never said Bangor was in Belfast. I said it was in Greater Belfast. Which it is. It's hands down in Belfast's orbit for work, transport, leisure etc etc. Because it is. You're just arguing the toss over this off the back of misreading my original post. And now doubling down on it. Talk about damaging credibility

Keep digging lad.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post

But this is your problem. I never said Bangor was in Belfast. I said it was in Greater Belfast. Which it is. It's hands down in Belfast's orbit for work, transport, leisure etc etc. Because it is. You're just arguing the toss over this off the back of misreading my original post. And now doubling down on it. Talk about damaging credibility

Keep digging lad.
    Isnt Keith Gillespie from Bangor? How far is Bangor from Belfast city?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    A bit off topic but 19 minute drive on google maps.

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buller View Post
    A bit off topic but 19 minute drive on google maps.
    Bangor is to Belfast what Bray is to Dublin.

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    I would have said more like Drogheda to Dublin, there's a bit of countryside between them, while Bray is now connected to Dublin by urban sprawl.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts

Keep digging lad.
    Oh ffs!

You observed that NI was unusual in that aside from Belfast and Derry, there were no medium sized towns, only small towns of 20k-30k.

I pointed out that the population of Bangor is just over 60k, causing you to try to claim that it isn't a separate town, it's really just part of "Greater Belfast".

Which for anyone who's ever actually been to the two, is total ******.

Bangor is a town in its own right, 15 miles from Belfast out the Dual Carriageway, with other towns, fields and coast in between, end of.

And I've no doubt if you were to ask the people of Lisburn (pop. 45k) whether they were McCooey's too, they'd tell you to sod off:
    "Formerly a borough, Lisburn was granted city status in 2002 as part of Queen Elizabeth II's Golden jubilee celebrations. It is the third-largest city in Northern Ireland. Lisburn is one of the constituent cities that make up the Dublin-Belfast corridor region which has a population of just under 3 million."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I would have said more like Drogheda to Dublin, there's a bit of countryside between them, while Bray is now connected to Dublin by urban sprawl.
    Does that mean Drogheda is no longer a town in its own right?

Or do we need to ask The Great Geographer, EYG?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Oh ffs!

You observed that NI was unusual in that aside from Belfast and Derry, there were no medium sized towns, only small towns of 20k-30k.

I pointed out that the population of Bangor is just over 60k, causing you to try to claim that it isn't a separate town, it's really just part of "Greater Belfast".

Bangor is a town in its own right, 15 miles from Belfast out the Dual Carriageway, with other towns, fields and coast in between, end of.

And I've no doubt if you were to ask the people of Lisburn (pop. 45k) whether they were McCooey's too, they'd tell you to sod off:
    "Formerly a borough, Lisburn was granted city status in 2002 as part of Queen Elizabeth II's Golden jubilee celebrations. It is the third-largest city in Northern Ireland. Lisburn is one of the constituent cities that make up the Dublin-Belfast corridor region which has a population of just under 3 million."
    Jesus - you'd find a way to pick an argument in an empty room. And still manage to lose it.

The irony is that when I made the original post about Greater Belfast, I was going to put in brackets afterwards that I was including Bangor in that. But I didn't think that needed to be spelled out. An important lesson for me there on giving the idiot tendency on here too much credit..

I officially give up trying.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 14/07/2020 at 3:57 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    If you count Hollywood as the edge of Belfast then Bangor is about 6.5 km from it, even if you don't it's only 10.5km. I say only because Drogheda is 30 km from the m50 which on the Northside anyway is the edge of Dublin.

There isn't really a comparable area in Dublin especially since the sprawl on the Southside is so big but Maynooth is 9 km from Lucan and Swords is 4km from the m50 (all edge to edge) and they'd both be considered Greater Dublin really, Swords more so than Maynooth.

It's also worth pointing out that technically Dublin City is just area covered by DCC and not SDCC, Fingal CC or DLR so the actual comparable area to Bangor for people of a certain era would be Cabinteely sort of area. Just ask any bohs fan, they're experts in the subject sure
    Last edited by RathfarnhamHoop; 14/07/2020 at 5:05 PM.

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Does that mean Drogheda is no longer a town in its own right?

Or do we need to ask The Great Geographer, EYG?
    Still he keeps digging...

The irony of you critiquing anyone else's geography when you couldn't even tell where Bangor is . Epic Mastercard stuff.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    Important to note that continue Linfield to roll out Pat Fenlon when the AIL is mentioned. Social distancing by Linfield at its best.

The NIFL is and run a league. They can't have a position on the AIL.

The IFA don't control the NIFL, therefore they can't lose control it.
    I think it's fairly obvious that I meant the NIFL as in the clubs in it. The IFA absolutely do control the NIFL, same way the SFA control the SPFL and the FAI control the LOI. They don't directly run it but they have an enormous amount of control over it that would be seriously diluted in an AIL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Still he keeps digging...

The irony of you critiquing anyone else's geography when you couldn't even tell where Bangor is . Epic Mastercard stuff.
    Have you ever been to Bangor?

Nobody, but nobody in the town considers it to be in Belfast or "Greater Belfast" [sic].

It is a separate town in its own right, end of and for you to insist otherwise marks you for an idiot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    This is taking the All-Ireland League thread to new levels of ridiculous..
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Note to Mr Lucid, add a new section to the AIL proposal - agreement on geography! We are kind of screwed on the whole AIL thing when fans are 'discussing' where the location of places are and how they are classified.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Note to Mr Lucid, add a new section to the AIL proposal - agreement on geography! We are kind of screwed on the whole AIL thing when fans are 'discussing' where the location of places are and how they are classified.
    I can understand now why the clubs couldn't agree on almost anything in the restart talks...

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    I think it's fairly obvious that I meant the NIFL as in the clubs in it. The IFA absolutely do control the NIFL, same way the SFA control the SPFL and the FAI control the LOI. They don't directly run it but they have an enormous amount of control over it that would be seriously diluted in an AIL.
    You actually make my point for me in your reply. They don't control the NIFL, they only control some aspects as they do with all members of the IFA. They certainly don't have "enormous control". I suggest you read the IFA Articles and NIFL Constitution.

Can you give examples of this "serious" dilution of powers that would come from Lucid's proposal?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Oh ffs!

Crikey, in Alternative Ulster, Stiff Little Fingers sang "OK, so there's the Trident in Bangor/And then you walk back to the city.” - that's a heck of a hike after a night out at a punk nightclub

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Crikey, in Alternative Ulster, Stiff Little Fingers sang "OK, so there's the Trident in Bangor/And then you walk back to the city.” - that's a heck of a hike after a night out at a punk nightclub
    I wish I could thank this post twice, just for the reference.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Maybe they planned to have a couple of naps on the way back.

Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast