Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Chris Hughton(B. 1958)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Let go by Brighton (sacked seemed too harsh a word in the circumstances ). They probably did him a favour really, he's left them in a much better way than he found them - https://www.brightonandhovealbion.co...chris-hughton/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    he'll bounce back from this, with his promotion record, every team in the Championship will be looking for him as manager
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    he'll bounce back from this, with his promotion record, every team in the Championship will be looking for him as manager
    And a lot of premier teams. Should keep his power dry until the new year.

Brighton will be relegated next season nothing surer

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Birmingham, Newcastle and Norwich are his former clubs and all have experienced volatility in his absence. He hadn't a great season with Brighton but I am sure next season he could have consolidated again.

Some clubs never learn the lessons of others in sacking reliable managers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I don't know. Sometimes clubs need a change of direction or a bit of freshness to kick on. It can go either way after that obviously. There was a a lot of criticism when Southampton got Pochettino in instead of Nigel Adkins for example.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I don't know if the player transfer market values are accurate, but there's an uncanny relationship between squad transfer market value and the table position end of season.
    B&H Albion are 17th in both tables.
    I think he'll be leaving with distinction. He's been there 5 seasons, long enough, probably has been their longest serving manager since football was invented. He'll get plenty of other job offers, no problem.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Someone mentioned Hughton to Celtic to me. Interesting shout. Rodgers managed to re-build his career up there. And he has the Irish link to Celtic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I was thinking Middlesbrough myself.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    back to Newcastle perhaps???

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I don't know if the player transfer market values are accurate, but there's an uncanny relationship between squad transfer market value and the table position end of season.
    B&H Albion are 17th in both tables.
    I think he'll be leaving with distinction. He's been there 5 seasons, long enough, probably has been their longest serving manager since football was invented. He'll get plenty of other job offers, no problem.
    To a certain extent that's chicken and egg stuff. Are they assembling a squad of accumulative lesser value or is their position in the league reflected in individual players valuations. But I think transfermarkt uses the teams performances, league and player position to value players to a certain extent. For example, both Dunk and Duffy are valued at £10.8m which is really low to me. I'd have them both in the £20-25m range along with Pascal Gross who has been linked to Liverpool and is valued at £9m and is surely closer to £20m than £10m.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    That maybe, but the end result obtained is a remarkable similarity between the position in the table of monetary value and the league table position.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Someone mentioned Hughton to Celtic to me. Interesting shout. Rodgers managed to re-build his career up there. And he has the Irish link to Celtic.
    Hughton has been a pretty defensive minded manager for the most part so not sure he'd be a good fit at Celtic. I suppose you could argue the same with Newcastle and he did well there. That's a good while back though at this stage.

Perfect!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Middlesbrough is akin to joining the civil service.
    Why doesn't he just take a year of, go climb Everest or K2, solo, with or without an O2 tank.

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    If potter takes the Brighton job it might open opportunities for molumby and Connolly potter seemed to bring youth through at Swansea but maybe that was necessity more than choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Hughton has been a pretty defensive minded manager for the most part so not sure he'd be a good fit at Celtic. I suppose you could argue the same with Newcastle and he did well there. That's a good while back though at this stage.

Perfect!
    Is it natural that a former defender like Hughton will be defensive minded and a former attacker will be attack-minded?

I think Mick McCarthy has struck a nice balance managing Ireland in the past. Hopefully he will again.

Hughton deserves to be in the premier league in my opinion.
    But I can see him going back to the championship before Christmas. Any club would be lucky to have him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Already being linked with West Brom: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...otion-failure/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Is it natural that a former defender like Hughton will be defensive minded and a former attacker will be attack-minded?
    There are probably loads of examples for and against that theory. I suppose it depends on resources and circumstances too sometimes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I'm not saying the Middlesbrough board read foot.ie, but I'm not saying they don't either https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/club-statement-tony-pulis
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Hughton works with what he has available - if you don't have the players you can't play attacking football.

When Brighton were in the Championship Hughton had them playing an attacking passing-orientated game. When they got into the PL playing like that would have brought a 6-0 hammering every week.

Hughton did a remarkable job keeping Brighton in the PL for two seasons - particularly given the fact that he didn't have control over transfers - something that is underappreciated by fans who think their club should be constantly progressing. Hughton is a very under-rated manager. Next season Potter will be manager and if he attempts to do what he did with Swansea this season, Brighton will be relegated by Christmas. The step up from the Championship to the PL is massive - particularly when you don't have a striker capable of 15 goals a season (or two capable of getting 25 between them).

As for Hughton going to Celtic - he would be an excellent choice for them - but I think his attitude will be that he still has something to prove in the PL. He will probably have to drop to the Championship again (possibly WBA) and get promoted. If he is given 4-5 years at a club in the PL he will prove how good he is. The again he is 60 years old and he may relish the prospect of managing a club playing in Europe before he is finished.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    Hughton works with what he has available - if you don't have the players you can't play attacking football.

When Brighton were in the Championship Hughton had them playing an attacking passing-orientated game. When they got into the PL playing like that would have brought a 6-0 hammering every week.

Hughton did a remarkable job keeping Brighton in the PL for two seasons - particularly given the fact that he didn't have control over transfers - something that is underappreciated by fans who think their club should be constantly progressing. Hughton is a very under-rated manager. Next season Potter will be manager and if he attempts to do what he did with Swansea this season, Brighton will be relegated by Christmas. The step up from the Championship to the PL is massive - particularly when you don't have a striker capable of 15 goals a season (or two capable of getting 25 between them).

As for Hughton going to Celtic - he would be an excellent choice for them - but I think his attitude will be that he still has something to prove in the PL. He will probably have to drop to the Championship again (possibly WBA) and get promoted. If he is given 4-5 years at a club in the PL he will prove how good he is. The again he is 60 years old and he may relish the prospect of managing a club playing in Europe before he is finished.
    I agree worth all of the above

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast