Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fingal's budget and number of professionals

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gael353 View Post
    UCD [...] are in an equally privilaged position with all non playing expenses being taken care of by the college hense their positions in the league.
    Jesus; do people still believe this nonsense, or are they just trolling when they post it?

Quote Originally Posted by blue til i die View Post
    Do we have any idea of the wage bills at shels and ucd?
    I think ours is about E3k a week. Heard E10k+ a week for Shels at the start of the season, but that's a word-on-the-street job and may well be way out. I would imagine, though, that Shels are a good bit ahead of everyone else (bar Fingal obviously).

Quote Originally Posted by mr. untitled
    They may well come a cropper like Shels or Drogs, but untill then, fair play to them.
    Ah yes, the good old Shels-esque "There's no news, so it hasn't happened" approach.

The problem with SF is that the league has seen it all before. Throwing money at a squad doesn't mean people will turn out. A club wholly reliant on one individual is utterly unhealthy. Nobody's saying Fingal aren't entitled to do what they're doing, but they are entitled to be worried that it's utterly unsustainable, could lead to renewed wage inflation at a time when we appear to be getting on top of it and will quite likely lead to another high profile implosion down the line, which no-one wants.

If Fingal lived within their means without their backer - i.e. spent what an average crowd of 500 could sustain - then no-one'd complain about them.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Ah yes, the good old Shels-esque "There's no news, so it hasn't happened" approach.

The problem with SF is that the league has seen it all before. Throwing money at a squad doesn't mean people will turn out. A club wholly reliant on one individual is utterly unhealthy. Nobody's saying Fingal aren't entitled to do what they're doing, but they are entitled to be worried that it's utterly unsustainable, could lead to renewed wage inflation at a time when we appear to be getting on top of it and will quite likely lead to another high profile implosion down the line, which no-one wants.

If Fingal lived within their means without their backer - i.e. spent what an average crowd of 500 could sustain - then no-one'd complain about them.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree, but if is not SFs fault, its the fault of the system. In an ideal world, all clubs would live within their means but do you honestly think that will ever happen, the market is just not there so people will gamble for a slice of what is there, that is inevitable. This is why I advocate franchise football, something nobody on here will even consider no matter how many clubs go to the wall, no matter how poor crowds get.
    we looked from Montrose to Swords, from swords to Montrose and from Montrose to Swords again but already it was impossible to spot UCDs right winger

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Absolutely it's not SF's fault. But you can see why people get critical of SF.

And the SF experiment has done nothing to show there's any future for franchise football in Ireland. Even with what - backing of E1m a year +? - you're struggling to get crowds. Where are you going to find 22 people who'll back LoI clubs with E1m a year for no payback? And such a system is inherently unstable in that clubs are subject to the whims of those backers. In that post alone (and I haven't read your other advocations), you've offered no reasons for franchise football at all.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    But say you get those investors to invest in the league (a 10 team league) and not the clubs. The league would own the players and allocate them to the clubs through a draft system, there by regulating wages. The clubs remain independently owned (shamrock rovers model springs to mind) but are payed up members of the leagus, the league os the franchise.
    we looked from Montrose to Swords, from swords to Montrose and from Montrose to Swords again but already it was impossible to spot UCDs right winger

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Sporting Fingal is a community team and is just one of many sports projects in Fingal hence the name Sport in Fingal.
    Is this a bad thing to enhance sport in North County Dublin? When the sport complex in lusk is built, junior teams will have access to its facilities as well as coaching along with others sports.
    If this is a franchise then i welcome it as its many projects help the people in Fingal through sport.
    How many of the league clubs has a power soccer team? ( wheelchair football )
    Futsal, a special olympics team?
    Pop into a few sports complex or community centres in Fingal to see what sport and education activities are linked with sporting fingal or have a read through the website.
    How many league clubs put this much into their community? not many and certainly not those that have so called fans slagging Fingal on here.

Will Sporting Fingal able to maintain a Premier division side with the quality of players they have long term from the the money coming through the gates on match days? Only time will tell and but if not then i see a Sporting Fingal side in the league for a long time to come either full or part-time with more Fingal based players in either the premier or the first division and they will have my support during the low times as well as the highs.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Up there with clubs running themselves properly in the improbability stakes, I'm afraid.

I agree, finding investment is the big problem here but big business wont invest in LOI clubs in the current system yet O'brien is prepared to pay traps wages. Individually the clubs have very little clout in the transfer market, a combined league would have far more, an added incentive for investors, As it stands, the league is tearing itself apart internally (very little to do with barstoolers or lack of interest). There needs to be a drastic overhaul, the league needs to be as strong as the sum of all its parts, not as weak,
    I realize my idea may be pie in the sky but the fact remains that the league in its current form is unsustainable and actually harmful to irish football
    Last edited by mr.untitled; 27/10/2009 at 2:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    The league is perfectly sustainable. To say otherwise is just to fall into cliché and soundbyte. Look at Monaghan, pootering away on crowds on 100, but surviving just grand due to their outside income they work hard to generate. Clubs like Fingal aren't sustainable.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Clubs like Fingal aren't sustainable.
    Sure give them time. they can only be proved to be unsustainable over time and are doing very well for a new team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I've posted the wage budget in thread.
    Is that the €17.5k per week?
    Where did you get it from?
    Hunky Dorys Park - could be worse, we could be going to Old Trafford every other week

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Guys, quit the personal slagging and get back on-topic please.
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.untitled View Post
    Completely agree, but if is not SFs fault, its the fault of the system.
    I see. It's not Sporting Fingal who are to blame for the decisions that they freely and willingly take - decisions that not every other club chooses to take.

It's the darn pesky system what makes 'em do it. The voices of the system in their head.

Isa't that the defense that was given by pretty much everyone at the Nurenburg trials....?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    Isa't that the defense that was given by pretty much everyone at the Nurenburg trials....?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lep View Post
    Sporting Fingal is a community team and is just one of many sports projects in Fingal hence the name Sport in Fingal.
    Is this a bad thing to enhance sport in North County Dublin? When the sport complex in lusk is built, junior teams will have access to its facilities as well as coaching along with others sports.
    If this is a franchise then i welcome it as its many projects help the people in Fingal through sport.
    How many of the league clubs has a power soccer team? ( wheelchair football )
    Futsal, a special olympics team?
    Pop into a few sports complex or community centres in Fingal to see what sport and education activities are linked with sporting fingal or have a read through the website.
    How many league clubs put this much into their community? not many and certainly not those that have so called fans slagging Fingal on here.

Will Sporting Fingal able to maintain a Premier division side with the quality of players they have long term from the the money coming through the gates on match days? Only time will tell and but if not then i see a Sporting Fingal side in the league for a long time to come either full or part-time with more Fingal based players in either the premier or the first division and they will have my support during the low times as well as the highs.
    Well put my man and the very best of luck in the cup final.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    I see. It's not Sporting Fingal who are to blame for the decisions that they freely and willingly take - decisions that not every other club chooses to take.

It's the darn pesky system what makes 'em do it. The voices of the system in their head.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Meant our (approx) wage budget of E3k a week.
    Should have checked back in the thread, myself

It was the Shels fans who quoted €17.5k (or more). No point asking for a source, I suppose.
    Hunky Dorys Park - could be worse, we could be going to Old Trafford every other week

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Off topic UCD stuff moved to the UCD forum, by the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Well done

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Jesus; do people still believe this nonsense, or are they just trolling when they post it?

I think ours is about E3k a week. Heard E10k+ a week for Shels at the start of the season, but that's a word-on-the-street job and may well be way out. I would imagine, though, that Shels are a good bit ahead of everyone else (bar Fingal obviously).
    Shels is around 7k a week. When we first went down to div 1 it was 9-10 a week for the 1st season but the club has lowered the budget.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Heard E10k+ a week for Shels at the start of the season, but that's a word-on-the-street job and may well be way out. I would imagine, though, that Shels are a good bit ahead of everyone else (bar Fingal obviously).
    Where do you go to hear this word-on-the-street ?
    Not for the first time you're way off with your figures on Shelbourne..

However I very much doubt it will be the last time you're wrong
    John Delaney!! GET OUT!!!
    www.ssdg.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    Where do you go to hear this word-on-the-street ?
    Not for the first time you're way off with your figures on Shelbourne..

However I very much doubt it will be the last time you're wrong
    Do you have a rough figure for Shels?

€10k /week seems not unreasonable for a team with so many experienced players - a €520k annual wage budget is normal enough for a Premier Division team, which Shels effectively is (in terms of standard of players), and I doubt you're playing those players 52 weeks a year. I'm not claiming that you're paying that much, but to claim PS's figure to be "way off" makes me curious as to what it really is.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast