Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast

Thread: Attendances 2018

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Harps keep the gate money. Limerick keep the gate money on Friday night. Extra gates were opened on the night though to ease congestion, so large numbers of people through those gates weren't counted. Only those going through the turnstiles themselves were counted.
    Fair enough I wasn't sure as it's not a league game. Same thing happened last time when we played ye in play off at MF "officially" something like 3k but more like 5k in attendance, there won't be anything like that on Friday!!! Still I'm sure everyone was give a receipt if not a ticket 😁😁😁

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Yeah, Markets Field was massively over-sold for that game too. Some of these 'safe-capacity' figures are a bit ridiculous to be honest.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Harps keep the gate money. Limerick keep the gate money on Friday night. Extra gates were opened on the night though to ease congestion, so large numbers of people through those gates weren't counted. Only those going through the turnstiles themselves were counted.
    nigelthe ones that got through the extra gates did they have to pay I wonder?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    nigelthe ones that got through the extra gates did they have to pay I wonder?
    Yeah they had to pay..

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    1300 in Tallaght to see Bohs under 19's win the double and back to back titles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Had a nice laugh to myself at that figure as well. Easily around 3,000 there. Few of us had estimated it at around 3,500 when in the ground.
    Why would Harps have bothered to call out a lower figure though Nigel, not like you have to pay vat on the gate. Dundalk had a few this year that made us laugh too mind.

I sometimes think it’s a case of clubs not being too bothered at getting a correct figure, add on ST holders, then the tickets sold or whatever figure they have to hand.

However in this case of FH v Limerick, if loads were charged in through additional gates open, this would probably account for the discrepancy.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    1300 in Tallaght to see Bohs under 19's win the double and back to back titles.
    Another great result for our U19s and always nice to win over there Any idea why the PA didn't call out the Bohs players names for the medal presentation ? Called out all the shams players and all the officials by name but appeared to ignore the winning team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Why would Harps have bothered to call out a lower figure though Nigel, not like you have to pay vat on the gate. Dundalk had a few this year that made us laugh too mind.

I sometimes think it’s a case of clubs not being too bothered at getting a correct figure, add on ST holders, then the tickets sold or whatever figure they have to hand.

However in this case of FH v Limerick, if loads were charged in through additional gates open, this would probably account for the discrepancy.
    Because you can't bate cash/no ticket!!! Strange tho surely clubs should be over estimating attendances when they can to make things look rosier rather than worse than they are, I doubt the announced attendance has to be the "official attendance" tho

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    I've often wondered which is the better thinking if official attendances are not official attendances. Assuming that there is no worth in cooking the books for tax purposes, credible overestimation of crowds may have more positives. ttendance figures help to market a club, if people start getting in to the mindset that x is the place to be on Friday night then bumping up the numbers might have a positive. If there are financial issues though and a club has creditors knocking on the door then announcing a bumped up gate wont help. Its a bit ridiculous that there is any discussion around this TWGL and all and there have been a few strange figues given this year!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I've often wondered which is the better thinking if official attendances are not official attendances. Assuming that there is no worth in cooking the books for tax purposes, credible overestimation of crowds may have more positives. ttendance figures help to market a club, if people start getting in to the mindset that x is the place to be on Friday night then bumping up the numbers might have a positive. If there are financial issues though and a club has creditors knocking on the door then announcing a bumped up gate wont help. Its a bit ridiculous that there is any discussion around this TWGL and all and there have been a few strange figues given this year!
    I think in the dim and distant past there may have been underestimates for a number of reasons (shared gates the most obvious) but cant really see how in this day and age (apart from shared gates) it would make any sense to underestimate. as you say overestimation would at least be beneficial for promotion of club etc.
    Many clubs also have a number of 'freebies' be they club members/officials/whatever, these are not paying customers but can distort the number attending versus official attendance ( I think official attendance is paying customers only ?). fans are unlikely to agree on attendance numbers as they are to agree on particular players.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Am not so sure the crowd was understated by much. There was still a fair bit of space around the place, it didn't seem hugely bigger than the Drogheda game. Disappointing as the buzz around for the game was huge.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    There was a rake of room of the town end terrace so I felt that the stated crowd felt legit.

I was disappointed at the traveller themed chants aimed at Limerick - it just didn't feel sporting tbh and as a snowflake didnt think it was nice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDMRooney View Post
    There was a rake of room of the town end terrace so I felt that the stated crowd felt legit.

I was disappointed at the traveller themed chants aimed at Limerick - it just didn't feel sporting tbh and as a snowflake didnt think it was nice
    If it helps we couldn't hear ye.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    If it helps we couldn't hear ye.
    Nor tbh did I expect you to have but in reality that's besides the point the intent of it was what rankled with me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Nor tbh did I expect you to have but in reality that's besides the point the intent of it was what rankled with me
    This was from the town end terrace obviously? Couldn't hear the chanting from there either in the stand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    This was from the town end terrace obviously? Couldn't hear the chanting from there either in the stand.
    I honestly thought and still hope he was joking about it all. If people did sing about us being travellers then so what? As long as it's not homophobic or racist then chant away like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    I honestly thought and still hope he was joking about it all. If people did sing about us being travellers then so what? As long as it's not homophobic or racist then chant away like.
    YEah there were maybe 20 people on the Town End who made repeated references to "your just a bunch of gypsys" or "gypsy *******s" throughout the game and I didnt like it. No more no less than that

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Limerick fans have sung the same or worse about other teams and their fans. Any Dublin team we play gets the "scumbags and junkies, alive alive oh" treatment for example.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Any snowflakes at the hearts hibs game last night must be fully melted today, heaven forbid a set of fans singing abuse at the opposition fans!

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    YEah there were maybe 20 people on the Town End who made repeated references to "your just a bunch of gypsys" or "gypsy *******s" throughout the game and I didnt like it. No more no less than that
    Ah, christ, I thought it was something offensive. Don't think I've ever been at a game where someone hasn't been called a gypsy or scumbag or some sort.

Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast