Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Cullen (M Burnley b.1996)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    I'm hoping West Ham stick with Moyes next season. He seems to like Declan Rice & now Josh Cullen getting some minutes.

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    With the U-21s still in with a shout of qualification, the question arises as to how we deal with blooding in Cullen and Rice. Should we leave them out of the senior side for the first three Nations League games (as well as the friendly in Poland), allowing them to finish the U21 qualifiers? This would still allow us to play them in three friendlies and one Nations League tie (unless they end up in the play-offs) before Euro 2020 qualifiers begin - would this still be enough preparation for them? Or does the senior team take precedent - do we promote them immediately and severely impede our U21s' first semi-realistic opportunity to qualify for the UEFA Finals? Alternatively, we could let them play in the qualifiers in Kosovo and at home to Germany and, if those results don't turn out well, then move them up to the senior side as any realistic hopes of qualification would be gone anyway.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Cap tie both.
    No greater opportunity than this Nations League, get it done.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Cap tie both.
    No greater opportunity than this Nations League, get it done.
    Well, I wasn't thinking of using the Nations League as a sneaky way of tying them to us, I was more questioning if they would have enough preparation for the Euro 2020 qualifiers if they were allowed to focus on the U21s and had just two or three friendlies under their belt when those games roll around. It seems that Rice is definitely committed to us, and there's been no mention of Cullen jumping ship, so as long as they're interested in seeing out this journey with the U21s I don't think there's necessarily a rush to cap-tie them. Of course, if I'm wrong, we could just bring them back to Dublin after the penultimate qualifier in Israel, throw them on for two minutes against Denmark on the 13th of October and then fly them out to Germany for the last U21 game on the 16th!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Are Nations League games actually binding?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Are Nations League games actually binding?
    Yep. Competitive. Qualification inadvertently hinges on them.

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Or advertently.

10. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Got a few minutes again today as West Ham grabbed a point against Chelsea. Good that he is cementing his place in the matchday squad. hopefully West Ham will get clear of relegation in the next couple of games so Moyes might feel comfortable giving him some serious time for the last three or four.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Got a few minutes again today as West Ham grabbed a point against Chelsea. Good that he is cementing his place in the matchday squad. hopefully West Ham will get clear of relegation in the next couple of games so Moyes might feel comfortable giving him some serious time for the last three or four.
    Unfortunately after next Monday's game against Stoke the Hammers have games against Arsenal away, City at home and Man United away as 3 of their next 4 games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Cullen dislocated his shoulder on Tuesday night and, following surgery, will be out for about four months
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Interview in the times today but me no access

Link
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckydee View Post
    Interview in the times today but me no access

Link
    othing to see here”, says Josh Cullen, when it comes to hard-core tales from the front line, but his pleasant, even smile tells a different story. It was around this time last year in an FA Cup game between West Ham and Shrewsbury that Cullen was accidentally kicked in the mouth by an opponent, and one of his two front teeth was captured by the television cameras sailing through the air. After all the blood was mopped up, Cullen played until the end of the game 15 minutes later and only then did he head off to the nearby dental hospital.

“They put it in milk straight away,” says Cullen of his dislodged dental. “The calcium in the milk keeps the tooth alive. They say that you have 90 minutes from when the tooth came out to save it. It was back in about 75 minutes after it came out. The doctor said I should come off the pitch and go straight to the hospital, but the adrenalin was going and we were drawing away to Shrewsbury in the Cup. You just have the mentality to get on with it and worry later.”
    Not quite on a par with another West Ham player, Stuart Pearce, trying to run off a broken leg, but Cullen’s dedication to his craft, his club and his country is wholly impressive. Cullen is currently on a season-long loan at League One side Charlton. Removing his boots before he entered reception, the Charlton manager Lee Bowyer was quick to recommend Cullen for international recognition and he is not one to dispense platitudes.

“My aim always has been and still is to play for the West Ham first team, at the highest level,” Cullen says. “But it’s better for me to be out playing and proving myself in a competitive environment rather than me, maybe, being in and around the squad, on the bench, maybe getting a little bit of game time, but nothing really where I can get a bit of momentum going and really work on my game.

“The manager here made it clear that he wanted me to come and be a big part of what he was trying to do. The position the manager played in and the career he had, I can learn off him. Little things about making the right runs into the box and your position when you are receiving the ball to give yourself some space.”

It was incidental that of late, Cullen dwelled in the shadow of Declan Rice at West Ham and with Ireland, but it wasn’t always that way. A couple of years older than Rice, Cullen remembers trying to calm the nerves of a jittery fellow teenager, who was afraid of getting left behind by West Ham, just as he had been a couple of years earlier by Chelsea.

“I dropped Dec home at his digs after training. His age group had just been offered scholarships and when you are offered a scholarship at 16 it is always sort of ‘are you going to get a pro contract offered as well at the same time’? Dec had just been offered a scholarship and he asked me ‘what do you think’? I said ‘don’t worry about it now. Just get your head down, work hard and that will come’. That is what he has done to be fair to him. Now he is playing in the Premier League and doing brilliant.”

On the million-dollar question about Rice’s international allegiances, Cullen’s advice has not been sought and nor is he particularly inclined to offer it. What he does caution against are any sweeping generalisations, having watched bright prospects in Irish football turn their backs on the senior team. At Republic of Ireland under-21 level in 2015, Cullen moved into a midfield vacated by Jack Grealish. As a 19-year-old from Essex who had just made his Premier League debut as a late substitute at Liverpool, it was inevitable that his Ireland allegiances would be also questioned.

He dismissed the idea and 17 appearances at under-21 level speaks even louder about his loyalty and commitment. Rice’s decision to pull back last year from committing to Ireland caught Cullen by surprise — “He had started playing for the senior team and the decision to say he was thinking about it came a bit late” — but he doesn’t want English-born players in the Ireland set up to be pigeon-holed just because of what Rice or Grealish did or did not do.
    “Everybody is different. You have people like Callum O’Dowda in the first team who is an example of the other side. He wanted to play for Ireland and is a big member of the squad,” says Cullen, who insists that nobody at West Ham is trying to sway Rice one way or another. “Obviously, he has a bit of pressure in his own mind because he can’t make his own mind up, otherwise he would have chosen. It wouldn’t be fair for anybody to sit there and say ‘you should do this or that’. Only he can make that decision.”

Cullen himself played at under-16 level for England before he was put on standby for a couple of squads and decided to take up an offer to play for Ireland, his grandparents on his father’s side having hailed from Co Leitrim. “I went over and played in a trial game and never looked back, I was very proud to be captain of the under-21s and as soon as I made that decision to go over I did everything I could to make every trip.”

Mick McCarthy only has to walk out his front door of his home in southeast London to monitor Cullen’s progress. This is Cullen’s third loan move — the first at Bradford was successful, the second at Bolton Wanderers less so — and McCarthy will already be attuned to the fine season Cullen is now having. Rice, who has gone straight from the academy into the first team and was rewarded with a substantially larger new contract in December, is the exception. The rule applies to players like Cullen who have to be more patient.

“Dec has worked hard, he has done everything that was asked of him to get that contract. You don’t want to be chucking silly money at youngsters who haven’t really done anything and then they think ‘oh this is nice. I am at a Premier League club. I have got loads of money. Why do I need to go out on loan and prove myself’?”

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Apparently did great yesterday helping Charlton to promotion, bossing midfield v. Sunderland and getting the assist for the winning goal: https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/...lton-promotion

It will be interesting to see his next move, assuming West Ham do not give him a first team chance.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Apparently did great yesterday helping Charlton to promotion, bossing midfield v. Sunderland and getting the assist for the winning goal: https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/...lton-promotion

It will be interesting to see his next move, assuming West Ham do not give him a first team chance.
    Is his loan now at an end? I assume so. Then I guess he extends his loan or back to the hammers. I would say he will stay with Charlton

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Signs on loan for the season at Charlton. West Ham have an option to recall in January which shows they value him. Hopefully he can keep progressing under Bowyer.

I see Steve Gallen quoted in Charlton's press release as he is head of recruitment there. He's Kevin Gallen's brother i.e. one of the brothers that played for us.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Signs on loan for the season at Charlton. West Ham have an option to recall in January which shows they value him. Hopefully he can keep progressing under Bowyer.

I see Steve Gallen quoted in Charlton's press release as he is head of recruitment there. He's Kevin Gallen's brother i.e. one of the brothers that played for us.
    Troy Parrot linked with Charlton too on loan, would make them interesting to watch this season

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Cullen taken off in a stretcher with an ankle injury. Awful shame. Has developed a huge amount over the past year. Hopefully this doesn't hold him back too much.

Ireland eligible Conor Gallagher showing why he's such a sought after player...
    Last edited by elatedscum; 23/11/2019 at 2:01 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Bowyer saying today that he’s ruled out of tomorrow’s game and getting a scan on ankle today. For him to even say that sounds promising. I am cautiously optimistic that it won’t be as long a lay off as we initially feared when he was stretchered off on Saturday. Fingers crossed

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I saw it live. It looked like a twisted knee and he was holding his head in anguish. But when they showed him in the dugout in a protective ankle boot 15 mins later it was a massive relief. Even a month out with an ankle injury is nothing compared to a season lost to an ACL tear.

24. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I saw it live. It looked like a twisted knee and he was holding his head in anguish. But when they showed him in the dugout in a protective ankle boot 15 mins later it was a massive relief. Even a month out with an ankle injury is nothing compared to a season lost to an ACL tear.
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Cullen taken off in a stretcher with an ankle injury. Awful shame. Has developed a huge amount over the past year. Hopefully this doesn't hold him back too much.

Ireland eligible Conor Gallagher showing why he's such a sought after player...
    You would imagine if Gallagher had any sense of irishness(and he is obviously entitled to not in any way feel irish) then he would have played at some level for us already given how good our scouting network is and obviously if he or his family contacted the fai as a 15 or 16 year old he would have been involved

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast