Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2030 FIFA World Cup Ireland/UK Joint Bid

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    UK MP's making the right noises after the announcement that England have been slapped with a stadium ban over the EURO 2020 Final: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021...t-up-in-smoke/

But in reality you'd have to think it's another nail in the coffin of the idea.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    That's a reasonably big move for UEFA. Entirely understandable, but trying to think when the last time a team of England's profile got a stadium ban?

Agree the 2030 World Cup won't be coming here. Not that bothered anyway.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Why wouldn't we do it with someone like Holland, both EU both get on well and will both do a great job
    If south Korea and japan can do it then why not?
    lets expand our minds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Why on earth would Holland want us on board?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Why on earth would Holland want us on board?
    because we are funny!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    A few thoughts.

One of the great advantages of the Bertie Bowl plan was that it was, technically, in Fingal rather than Dublin. It would have allowed it to be considered to be in a separate location from Dublin for the purposes of bidding for tournaments. France pulled the same move by putting the Stade De France in St. Denis, which allowed them to include it alongside the Parc De Princes when bidding for France 98 etc.

We're never going to be anything more than a bit part on a bid for a tournament. We would be better of concentrating on building half a dozen 18k seat stadiums in places like Galway, Cork, Waterford and Derry which could support such arenas. If we achieved that we could maybe think about holding underage or female tournaments as the next stage of developing the game here.

There's merit in League Of Ireland sides teaming up with minority sports to squeeze funding out of Leinster House and local government for new facilities. For example a club like Cork City may have more success getting taxpayer funding to replace for Turner's Cross if they bait the hook with an event like a Hockey World Cup being held there, with a LOI side coming in as a sustainable anchor tenant once the event is over.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    because we are funny!
    In this context, it's very much laughing at rather than laughing with though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Hello little pixie headsh.

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    A few thoughts.

One of the great advantages of the Bertie Bowl plan was that it was, technically, in Fingal rather than Dublin. It would have allowed it to be considered to be in a separate location from Dublin for the purposes of bidding for tournaments. France pulled the same move by putting the Stade De France in St. Denis, which allowed them to include it alongside the Parc De Princes when bidding for France 98 etc.

We're never going to be anything more than a bit part on a bid for a tournament. We would be better of concentrating on building half a dozen 18k seat stadiums in places like Galway, Cork, Waterford and Derry which could support such arenas. If we achieved that we could maybe think about holding underage or female tournaments as the next stage of developing the game here.

There's merit in League Of Ireland sides teaming up with minority sports to squeeze funding out of Leinster House and local government for new facilities. For example a club like Cork City may have more success getting taxpayer funding to replace for Turner's Cross if they bait the hook with an event like a Hockey World Cup being held there, with a LOI side coming in as a sustainable anchor tenant once the event is over.
    I think if we get a rugby world cup first we can then we should have asperations to host a euros or WC with someone
    after a rugby WC the stadia will be in place to co host a football tournament. We would do an amazing job

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I think if we get a rugby world cup first we can then we should have asperations to host a euros or WC with someone
    after a rugby WC the stadia will be in place to co host a football tournament. We would do an amazing job
    I don't see a Rugby World Cup as being realistic yet after the last bid being rejected out of hand. With both traditional powers and emerging nations like Japan, Russia and America offering much better facilities, we aren't in a position to compete at that level yet.

We don't have enough big stadiums, and many of those we do have are less than ideal. Páirc Uí Chaoimh is big, but it isn't all seater and most of it is uncovered. The new Casement Park is being built in the wrong place, and Windsor Park just isn't big enough. And that's without considering the difficulties of getting the GAA to allow other codes to use their facilities.

The stadium Russia built in Yekaterinburg for the World Cup is an excellent example for us. It was expanded with temporary seating to 35,000, but dropped down to 23,000 after the bandwagon left town, while presumably retaining the media, sporting and hospitality facilities that they had to put in for the World Cup

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    I think it was solely to do with money in the end re last rugby tender? We had the full backing of the state on that one. Next tender we won't make that mistake again. We will give the IRB the 100 million they want

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I think transport links have been cited as a weakness for us as well?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I think transport links have been cited as a weakness for us as well?
    Yep they also said south Africa is a less or the same level of dangerous of a country to Ireland ( that is no joke)

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    For me the major sporting event we could look to host is, incredibly, the Olympics.

With all those facilities clustered in one place at Abbotstown, it don't look entirely unlike an Olympic Village. The 2032 games going to Brisbane it shows they will consider a city the size of Dublin, and after Paris in 2024, by 2036/2040 it will be coming round to being Europe's turn again.
    Last edited by backstothewall; 19/10/2021 at 5:22 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    For me the major sporting event we could look to host is, incredibly, the Olympics.

With all those facilities clustered in one place at Abbotstown, it don't look entirely unlike an Olympic Village. The 2032 games going to Brisbane it shows they will consider a city the size of Dublin, and after Paris in 2024, by 2036/2040 it will be coming round to being Europe's turn again.
    London, Paris, Abbotstown, Tokyo

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    I've never understood why an Olympics, in the 21st century, has to be relegated to just one city. I know a few events get spread out, but you'd think it would be easier to host if more of it was spread across multiple cities in one country anyway. On the idea of Dublin hosting one, I remember Gay Mitchell getting roasted during the 2011 Presidential campaign for having a feasibility study done on the idea when he was Mayor of Dublin, so I don't think anyone would be too willing to face similar scorn in future.

Transport links were an issue with the RWC bid as I recall. Ireland's infrastructure on that score is fairly rudimentary when put against the expected standards. I mean, how many European capitals have no rail link to their airport? Could all be sorted with the right investment and project management, but how long have they been talking about Metro North?

I wonder if this is another demented Tory propaganda ploy, to paint Britain as the unfairly treated underdog when they inevitably get told "No" by FIFA.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    I just wish we’d stop with this nonsense and concentrate on getting our basic facilities improved. The phrase “fur coat and no knickers” has never been so apt.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    I just wish we’d stop with this nonsense and concentrate on getting our basic facilities improved. The phrase “fur coat and no knickers” has never been so apt.
    It's very champagne football, isn't it?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Do the associations and the country not make a complete fortune from being hosts? We could use the lolly for grassroots development

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    FIFA make a complete fortune.

Remember the riots in Brazil at the waste of money when they country could have spent it on hospitals, etc? I don't think either the FA or the country do too well out of it financially. I think FIFA's ideal host is one happy to spend lots of money on it and take away the political kudos

24. Thanks From:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast