Results 1,601 to 1,615 of 1615

Thread: LOI In Europe 2020

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Its amusing either way and there are others, but I thought there was a sweeping bill that removed all archaic laws from the statutes but maybe it was here and not in the UK.
    Laws like these get superceeded by other laws, so don't need to be specifically removed form the statute books.

My favourite one is the fact that Berwick is still technically at war with Russia, as it wasn't included in the peace treaty at the end of the Crimean War

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Good luck with those ones...
    Celtic ARE British and Scottish. That's just facts. They have an Irish heritage. But that doesn't erase the fact that they're British and Scottish.

Derry City are Irish, as everything in Ireland is de-facto Irish (even those which spurn the fact that they are). They're also a UK-based club, as again - that's just a fact. Whether or not they're 'British'; is open to debate. But given that the GFA allows people to identify as Irish of they want, hen I think you'd struggle to force an identity onto organisations as well.

Nice tries ;D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    TNS discussion = interesting
    Derry City discussion = for the love of God please stop.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Laws like these get superceeded by other laws, so don't need to be specifically removed form the statute books.

My favourite one is the fact that Berwick is still technically at war with Russia, as it wasn't included in the peace treaty at the end of the Crimean War
    Yeah law of precedence is usually how archaic laws are done away with but did have a search there and there has been law revision bills here also, 2015 the most recent. Seems to mainly repeal old eh contentious bits and pieces on oaths and the like. I do like the Berwick example ye have given. The Tippling Act is one that popped up that should of course still be law! For N.I. getting a fine for going to the cinema on a Sunday is bizarre mostly cause it was passed as recently as 1991!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    TNS discussion = interesting
    Derry City discussion = for the love of God please stop.
    Any other year we'd have a full thread on pre-season friendlies by now, rehashing worn out old discussion must fill the void...as I post on old Irish laws in a LoI in Europe thread

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    For N.I. getting a fine for going to the cinema on a Sunday is bizarre mostly cause it was passed as recently as 1991!?
    I've been doing a bit of research work on UCD's non-league years (you can see the results on wiki), but one thing I found interesting was that when NI (or the Six Co XI, as the papers always referred to them) reached the World Cup finals in 1958, two of their four games were on a Sunday. They wrote to FIFA in advance of the 1962 qualifying draw seeking assurances that they would have no games on a Sunday, and that without these assurances, they wouldn't enter qualifying.

I didn't see what the response was, but they were paired with West Germany in qualifying, so that was the end of their 1962 hopes.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    For N.I. getting a fine for going to the cinema on a Sunday is bizarre mostly cause it was passed as recently as 1991!?
    That's those killjoy Presbyterian types up there, who feel the need to force their views on everyone else. The council in Ballymena used to famously chain up the swings in local parks on a Sunday, lest children might indulge in a bit of fun on the Sabbath.

It was also essentially illegal to display the Irish flag in NI until 1987.

A law fining people for attending a cinema on a Sunday is a strange one though, when all that was needed instead was a law that no cinemas could open on a Sunday. #jobdone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    That's those killjoy Presbyterian types up there, who feel the need to force their views on everyone else. The council in Ballymena used to famously chain up the swings in local parks on a Sunday, lest children might indulge in a bit of fun on the Sabbath.
    As the old one goes, they also used to frown upon people making love standing up, lest from a distance, it might be mistaken for dancing...

Anyhow, it is all a long time since those days when eg you couldn't get a drink on a Sunday unless you went to a hotel; or buy contraceptives unless you could produce a marriage licence. (Actually, I think for that last one, I may be confusing NI with somewhere else...).

And in any case, I'm still not sure how any of that affects, or is affected by, the reasons why TNS have been accorded the right to play in the Welsh League.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

And in any case, I'm still not sure how any of that affects, or is affected by, the reasons why TNS have been accorded the right to play in the Welsh League.
    Welcome to foot.ie!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    As the old one goes, they also used to frown upon people making love standing up, lest from a distance, it might be mistaken for dancing...

Anyhow, it is all a long time since those days when eg you couldn't get a drink on a Sunday unless you went to a hotel; or buy contraceptives unless you could produce a marriage licence. (Actually, I think for that last one, I may be confusing NI with somewhere else...).

It was also essentially illegal to display the Irish flag in NI until 1987.

A law fining people for attending a cinema on a Sunday is a strange one though, when all that was needed instead was a law that no cinemas could open on a Sunday. #jobdone
    Just imagine the fun if those church types had put the heads together on some united front

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Waterford drawn away to Hammarby of Sweden in UEFA youth champions league.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    They'll get hammared there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    While picking up on club footage here's an interesting interview with David McMillan - not all Dundalk with some interest for St Pats fans too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9pG6m1fR78

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trevy View Post
    Waterford drawn away to Hammarby of Sweden in UEFA youth champions league.
    https://www.sseairtricityleague.ie/n...league/id-3592

Waterford really enjoy qualifying for Europe and not playing in Europe dont they

Its a shame for the young lads to miss out on this opportunity. That goes for all young lads in the LOI underage leagues really, they’ve lost a lot of their development because of covid. Particularly under 19s lads that are now too old to play underage but didn’t have the same opportunity as previous under 19s sides to showcase their ability to play at senior level for a League of Ireland club
    Last edited by 2 Year Contract; 05/02/2021 at 12:11 PM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    That's a pity - though understandable, and I'd say they won't be the only club to withdraw. Some things are more important than football.

Would have been interesting to see how they'd have done - it would have been a completely different side to the one that won the league of course (Colm Whelan, who was top scorer, is at UCD now for example), but still the LoI has a very respectable record in the competition. It's not guaranteed that last season's winners (was it Bohs?) will qualify for the next tournament, so every match in this is welcome I think.

Edit - it was Pat's who won; they beat Bohs in the final.

Page 81 of 81 FirstFirst ... 3171798081