Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast

Thread: Slovakia v Republic of Ireland - 8th October 2020 - Euro 2020 Playoff Semi Final

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Dan McDonnell pretty much confirmed this on Twitter too. Its absolutely effing mind boggling

https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan/sta...750430208?s=20
    Irish Media not giving it much coverage. The Irish media is Far Too Cosy with the Political Establishment ~ ~ ~ The Media is supposed to hold the Political Establishment to account not be the mouth pieces for the political establishment. The Lines in Ireland have been very blurred in this for as long as I can remember and I am no spring chicken.

This is very newsworthy, Kenny himself mentioned it on Sky before the match but yet a lot of the Irish Media keep Schtum ! !

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Was that Sergio Goitoxchea (or however you spell it)?

Took over from the injured Pumpido in the 90 World Cup and got them through a shoot-out anyway. I think he had a reputation as a good penalty saver. But yeah, doesn't mean you won't lose 6-5 the next time.

I remember watching West Ham v Birkirkara in the Europa League a few years back (sounds nerdy, but it sticks in my mind cos I was watching it in the UCD bar straight after we'd lost to Slovan) and that went to penalties. The Maltese keeper was awful - he just moved too early ever time - and West Ham scored all their kicks. Keeper wasn't going to get near any of them. It's sometimes interesting to see a lesser player - with all due respect to the guy, who's obviously a lot better than me! - face top players as then you can really see the difference.
    It's a good memorable shoot-out clip, but you'd have to say that the West Ham goalie was just as bad, possibly even worse considering his pathetic attempts to psyche out the pen taker for the first one and then point the direction for the 2nd. I'm more pleased when those cheap gimmicks don't have effect.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Krull was brought on for one penalty shoot out and Holland won it. If all the penalties are very well taken then maybe no goalkeeper will save them. I suppose if the goalkeeper is known as a good penalty saver it ups the pressure a notch !
    Thanks for the correction. it was WC 2104 and after checking the records,
    Tim Krull was brought on last minute for that penalty shoot out, saved 2 and Holland went through. Tim then started in the semi final to Argentina and let in all 4.
    Life is Krull sometimes.

Next one I remember in 2015 was Iceland's Gylfi Sig v Holland, a bag of nerves penalty struck at a good height if not the 'perfect height' and Cillesonn (the goalie who was subbed at WC 2014) dived the right way but still let it slip through. He hammered the ground in despair. The slo mo replay of the penalty will haunt Cillesonn to eternity and beyond.
    Last edited by geysir; 09/10/2020 at 7:47 PM.

4. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,691 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Great Knowledge there. Bonnar was no small fella. I remember one Argentinian goalkeeper who was said to be good on penalties having one great shootout and nothing the next. If they are all well taken they take a bit of stopping. 48 out of 49 for Le Tissier was some job. He pretty much took the lottery out of it except for once !
    Bonner was the hero in Genoa, saving 1 out of 5. A month earlier Celtic faced Aberdeen in the SFA Cup Final. Celtic lost. I think Bonner conceded 8 from 8 in Hamden.

Alan Mannus was Rovers’ hero in the Aviva vs Dundalk last autumn. He looked like saving every Dundalk pen. Against the Finns in Europe he let in, what, 10 in a row? Before finally making the key save. At least one of Rovers’ successful pens in August was absolutely brutal.

Penalties may not be a lottery but the footballing gods can be very capricious. Or history is written by the winners.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 09/10/2020 at 8:46 PM.

6. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    From everything I've heard, Baraclough's preparation did seem to be better than Kenny's. If that's true and we didn't give ourselves the best possible opportunity then that's disappointing.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I just rewatched the 1st hour of the game.

Hourihane was awful, gave the ball away so many times. Attempted some stupid passes.
    I don't know what Hendrick is. Not a 10 for sure. Did some good things and some terrible.
    Mccarthy was better than I thought.
    My biggest take away from rewatching is that McGoldrick was terrible. He has no positional awareness. Was wandering all over the place but giving no options for good forward pass from the midfield. We need a striker urgently

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I totally disagree RE: McGoldrick. His hold up and overall play were great. But as mentioned by others, we needed a No. 9 on the field to linger in the box, and get in behind. While Slovakia generally did sit deep, there were moments when if we did have a guy like Long on the pitch maybe he does get in behind.

Basically— McGoldrick played the same style he always does at club level, drifting back into midfield or over to the wing as needed. The problem was we didn’t have one of the wide forwards tuck in centrally whenever McGoldrick drifted out.

I judge managers based on whether we create enough chances to win. Kenny’s system generated three good opportunities (Browne X 2 + Hourihane). When the players don’t execute, I put that on the player.

It was a very disappointing outcome but I felt we showed improvement over some of the stuff we saw under McCarthy. If some of our young guys come good I think we have a positive era to look forward to. However, will Kenny be given time? Will he get more time than the World Cup qualifying campaign? If he needs to qualify for the World Cup with this group of players + 3 or so newcomers that break through, that’s a very tough ask.

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Yeah will definitely disagree on McGoldrick but I agree with you on Kenny. We created more than enough chances to win the game. McClean had a great chance just before half time too that I had totally forgotten about.

Even though I picked out the negatives on the rewatch I have to say overall we are massively improved. We didn't hoof the ball forward aimlessly once. We tried to be positive at all times. The difference to the Georgia away game where we were time wasting 15 mins into the game was unbelievable. We tried to take the game to them but I think we are a couple players short. Connolly could have made big difference.

I'm very enthusiastic for the future under Kenny but I think even though they are nothing games he needs at least 1 win next week to get the public on board. Too many bandwagon jumpers are already saying Mccarthy was better

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I totally disagree RE: McGoldrick. His hold up and overall play were great. But as mentioned by others, we needed a No. 9 on the field to linger in the box, and get in behind. While Slovakia generally did sit deep, there were moments when if we did have a guy like Long on the pitch maybe he does get in behind.

Basically— McGoldrick played the same style he always does at club level, drifting back into midfield or over to the wing as needed. The problem was we didn’t have one of the wide forwards tuck in centrally whenever McGoldrick drifted out.

I judge managers based on whether we create enough chances to win. Kenny’s system generated three good opportunities (Browne X 2 + Hourihane). When the players don’t execute, I put that on the player.

It was a very disappointing outcome but I felt we showed improvement over some of the stuff we saw under McCarthy. If some of our young guys come good I think we have a positive era to look forward to. However, will Kenny be given time? Will he get more time than the World Cup qualifying campaign? If he needs to qualify for the World Cup with this group of players + 3 or so newcomers that break through, that’s a very tough ask.
    I didn't write it in so many words but this is what I asked for before the game. We saw it a bit in the second half but less than a handful of times, creating two clear cut chances those times. I think I did mention already on here earlier that maybe long centrally coming on earlier was a better idea, certainly not on 122 minutes.

Just one final thing on the penos we seemed to be playing more towards it as time went on even as we coincided with changes that didn't inspire confidence for penos. Id have much rather Robinson and MCG taking penos than brown or hourihane or even Doherty ( before any were taken)
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    112* can't edit without deleting on mobile
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Mark Crossley and Dave Beasant.

Funnily enough, I seem to remember Packie Bonner not being great on penalties at all. Except once
    One of my earliest football memories (not really sure why), I guess I was about 5, is watching a penalty shootout between Spurs and Notts Forrest and Mark Crossley saved every penalty except for Ruel Fox, and even that one he almost saved, he started to dive and readjusted when it was smashed high and he tipped it onto the bar and it bounced down and in. Incredible to watch. Think Sheringham was one of the ones who had their penalty saved. Remarkable stuff... Jesus, he was good at saving penalties...

Some keepers lose the ability over time as the reactions lose a split second and what used to work for them no longer does.

There have been many theories and ways to become a good penalty saver.

Some keepers are better able to influence the takers of penalties. To show one side as the player is running up.

Pepe Reina's father was a famous penalty saver in Spain and he always said the key was the arms. Basically as the player is about to strike a ball, there are specific arm movements which indicate what he might do, like if the players arm on his standing leg moves backwards as he winds up to strike it, he's likely to pull it across his body, whereas if the arm moves forward, then he's likely to open his body up etc etc etc.

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Equally in terms of taking penalties, there are many theories – and many people have been really good penalty takers by doing different things.

Many people believe in the idea of 'never change your mind', Le Tissier who was a famously good penalty taker always said the opposite, that ideology came from the place of fear. If you see the keeper going early or doing something, you've got to be prepared to react to that

17. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Hourihane was awful, gave the ball away so many times. Attempted some stupid passes.
    I don't know what Hendrick is. Not a 10 for sure. Did some good things and some terrible.
    My biggest take away from rewatching is that McGoldrick was terrible. He has no positional awareness. Was wandering all over the place but giving no options for good forward pass from the midfield. We need a striker urgently
    i

agree with almost everything but hourihane he was the better of the 3 amigos as Liam Brady wrote. Then McCarthy, and finally Hendrick McGoldrick should do his thing with a number 9, if that we change the system or we play mc goldrick with 2 holding mids.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    That cant be true surely?
    o

only in Ireland they shoot their own foot. Imagine we or the spanish, english, italians, they would kept it a secret if it is a decisive game.

Only in Ireland

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    One of my earliest football memories (not really sure why), I guess I was about 5, is watching a penalty shootout between Spurs and Notts Forrest and Mark Crossley saved every penalty except for Ruel Fox, and even that one he almost saved, he started to dive and readjusted when it was smashed high and he tipped it onto the bar and it bounced down and in. Incredible to watch. Think Sheringham was one of the ones who had their penalty saved. Remarkable stuff... Jesus, he was good at saving penalties...

Some keepers lose the ability over time as the reactions lose a split second and what used to work for them no longer does.

There have been many theories and ways to become a good penalty saver.

Some keepers are better able to influence the takers of penalties. To show one side as the player is running up.

Pepe Reina's father was a famous penalty saver in Spain and he always said the key was the arms. Basically as the player is about to strike a ball, there are specific arm movements which indicate what he might do, like if the players arm on his standing leg moves backwards as he winds up to strike it, he's likely to pull it across his body, whereas if the arm moves forward, then he's likely to open his body up etc etc etc.
    There are other signs, like if he's Irish he'll hit it across his body absolutely every time.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    the thing is, if connolly and idah had been sent back to England afterwards, like they are now, which we all knew would have to be the case once it was confirmed, why didnt kenny just play them? and yes for anyone that missed it, Sloavkias rules and UK rules would have allowed for him to play, idah to come on.

I know when they returned they would have been in trouble as the players technically would have been in breach but who cares then? they'd have won and wales on sunday wouldnt matter
    Because the only reason players entering from non green list countries is allowed without a quarantine is the Irish team agreeing to sticking to HSE guildlines when the group is outside the country.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts

Mcgoldrick would be fantastic if we were playing 442 but we are not. He wanders into spaces where he rarely causes problems where it's much easier to get on the ball. Great players move into spaces that create danger and put themselves under pressure to work in those tight congested spaces.

Mcgoldrick takes the easy option by going backwards into space always rather than looking to get into the tighter spaces higher up. If mcgoldrick stays as our 9 then we will have difficulty playing a creative type of ten such as crowley or byrne(or wes if he was still around) because you need your 10 to be running past mcgoldrick just like Browne or Hendrick tried to do on Thursday. The problem then for me is that that type of 10 such as Browne has minimal guile totally reducing our ability to link the thirds together and God forbid create chances in tight spaces. Parrott as our 9 will offer the mcgoldrick ability but in far tighter and higher up the pitch positions as well as the ability to go in behind and be a genuine goalscorer who wants goals.

I think we also still are sitting too deep to protect Duffy and Egans lack of pace , I'd like to see what William's could add to us at centre half from a pace perspective to let us push higher defensively. His left back experience helps his footballing ability as well. Would love kelleher to play tomorrow to see him hold his starting position much higher than Randolph and be an option on the ball to become involved in the play so much more than Randolph (that Randolph mistake at the end of extra time when he passed it to the Slovak in the box was a woeful error) .

Tomorrow I'd like to see Byrne start with Cullen and molumby with long Brady and o dowda as a front 3.
    Last edited by liamoo11; 10/10/2020 at 3:35 PM.

23. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    lads tomorrow is a must win match

play the same team but Shane Long for McClean.

i cant believe what your goverment did in Slovakia, I read some english tabloids also making fun of it, calling it the bes result ever for Ireland. I like this Kenny chap but a bit naive, wouldnt have happened this to MON or Ancelotti
    Last edited by Bielsa´s irish; 10/10/2020 at 4:03 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    lads tomorrow is a must win match

play the same team but Shane Long for McClean.

i cant believe what your goverment did in Slovakia, I read some english tabloids also making fun of it, calling it the bes result ever for Ireland. I like this Kenny chap but a bit naive, wouldnt have happened this to MON or Ancelotti
    McGoldrick is out so can't do that.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    So apparently now the positive test was a false positive, and the players had moved seats so probably shouldn’t have been as close as they ended up being.

Possibly that the players will be available again for Finland game. All a bit mad.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...-39609951.html

Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast