Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: France V Republic of Ireland - Sunday, 26 June 2016 - Euro 2016 Round of 16

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    People are harsh on McLean for that pass. It would have required pinpoint accuracy to pick out Murphy and there was a French defender almost in the way and who is to say that Murphy would not have scuffed it.
    Agree with all of that post except for this bit. I thought McClean only needed to roll it straight across the goal because Murphy was going to get the other side of the defender for the tap in. Instead he tried to pick out Murphy in the position he was standing which was never really on. It was really poor I thought.

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Agree with all of that post except for this bit. I thought McClean only needed to roll it straight across the goal because Murphy was going to get the other side of the defender for the tap in. Instead he tried to pick out Murphy in the position he was standing which was never really on. It was really poor I thought.
    I would like to see it again on replay and see where Murphy was and which way he was going/if he was indicating anything the last time McClean looked up before he passed it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    I think he should have pulled it back to long. picking out murphy would have been eye of the needle stuff for me as it was a little congested in the 6 yard box. mcclean did really well to get into that position in the first place

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    There was one angle that completely backs this up in my opinion. It wouldn't even have been that difficult a pass even (sorry jbyrne!). It showed a lack of vision or awareness in my opinion. A few "across the 6 yard box" passes have caused havoc already in this competition. Ibrahimovic against us (and a couple of others in that game), Bale / McCauley and Hungary's late equaliser against Iceland. McClean's should have been another. In real time, at pitch level, from McClean's own position I think he should have seen it. That's the difference between our level and Bale's level.

Maybe he was influenced by Lloris having already cut one of those out?

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Exactly. The angle from McClean's back shows exactly what he needed to do. There was a gap plenty big enough to put it without Lloris having any chance of cutting it out. As a winger, McClean must have found himself him that position thousands of time throughout his life playing football, especially at lower levels when he was probably skipping past his opponents. It was disappointing that he didn't instinctively know what do to after such good work to create the situation out of nothing. The whole passage of play really showed the good and bad (limited) sides of him as a footballer, determination and aggressiveness mixed with a lack of vision and quality.

His earlier ball in that Lloris did cut out was Bale-esque to be fair, just unlucky Murphy (I think) didn't get a toe on it before Lloris cleared, but he put it into a perfect area.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    There was one angle that completely backs this up in my opinion. It wouldn't even have been that difficult a pass even (sorry jbyrne!). It showed a lack of vision or awareness in my opinion. A few "across the 6 yard box" passes have caused havoc already in this competition. Ibrahimovic against us (and a couple of others in that game), Bale / McCauley and Hungary's late equaliser against Iceland. McClean's should have been another. In real time, at pitch level, from McClean's own position I think he should have seen it. That's the difference between our level and Bale's level.

Maybe he was influenced by Lloris having already cut one of those out?
    don't forget it takes time for the ball to travel across allowing players enough time to deal with it. I still think long was the better option. am 20mins into watching a re-run so will reserve further judgement until I see it again over the weekend!

11. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    France v Ireland players watch supporters.jpg

Surprised to see Roy Keane (4th from left with head just showing) among the players watching the fans at the end of the French game having regard to his previous comments on sing songs when we lose. Does he now understand that it is not celebrating defeat but showing support for the team and country?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    In fairness this was a different sort of defeat.

Poland was a shambles. Though the vodka was great.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Seems like old ground but did Keane actually give out about the supporters celebrating a defeat? I know it was portrayed that way but my understanding was that he was critical of the team not giving them something to actually celebrate. Agree with BS too, the manner of the defeats were chalk and cheese anyway.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    People are harsh on McLean for that pass. It would have required pinpoint accuracy to pick out Murphy and there was a French defender almost in the way and who is to say that Murphy would not have scuffed it.
    Murphy ran exactly where he was supposed to and should have been rewarded with a tap-in or, at least, forced a defender to either put it in his own goal or make a wonder clearance. He was right where McClean should want him to be, but McClean seemed to be stuck between crossing for him or pulling it back for Long and ended up doing neither.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Seems like old ground but did Keane actually give out about the supporters celebrating a defeat? I know it was portrayed that way but my understanding was that he was critical of the team not giving them something to actually celebrate. Agree with BS too, the manner of the defeats were chalk and cheese anyway.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.fr/201...night.html?m=1

Final blog of trip on France game for those interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I asked my brother if he thought we should have went with 3 at the back during the Euros seeing as it's been successful for other sides. He replied only against France, and only after the equalizer, as we had been good up to that point.

He then went on to say he didn't like the fact that players were drinking beer after the Italy game as it showed our small time mentality.

That it was hypocritical and unprofessional to be drinking beer and eating slices of pizza while complaining about a lack of preparation time for the French game.

*His opinions not mine

What do ye think now in the cold light of day?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    I think that the tournament sponsors have had bottles of beer in most (if not all) changing rooms, so players being photographed holding bottles isn't unexpected
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    That it was hypocritical and unprofessional to be drinking beer and eating slices of pizza while complaining about a lack of preparation time for the French game.

pizza is a great food to eat after sport for replacing energy. lots of clubs have pizza after the matches. i doubt no more than a bottle of beer was had. no problem with that really. i think the 5am return to hotel due to random drug tests and the ridiculous difference between our gap before france game and theirs are far bigger issues

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    pizza is a great food to eat after sport for replacing energy. lots of clubs have pizza after the matches. i doubt no more than a bottle of beer was had. no problem with that really. i think the 5am return to hotel due to random drug tests and the ridiculous difference between our gap before france game and theirs are far bigger issues
    Ah fair enough, didn't know about that. And the difference in prep time was ridiculous bottom line.

My brother didn't say anything about pizza. I added that.

Think of it as my tribute to Mike Love adding that stupid coda to the end of Wouldn't It Be Nice and suing Brian Wilson for songwriting credits.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 06/07/2016 at 8:39 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Pizza is well known as a recovery food. Remember "pizza gate" at Old Trafford? Good combo of carbs, protein and salt, good for immediate post-exertion refuelling.

Beer? Depends how much. One pint fine, maybe even two. In fact it's probably good to take the edge off the adrenaline rush, good after a late night match where the players will need sleep not that much later.

If you look at ITV's Tour de France highlights you'll have seen Cavendish's team all sharing a glass of champagne over dinner yesterday. These guys had to cycle 200k the next day. If you read Nico Riche's Tour diaries you'll note that cyclists all drink a little wine after a hard stage and with another hard day to follow.

Much fuss about nothing.

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Wales had a beer after the Russia game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    I asked my brother if he thought we should have went with 3 at the back during the Euros seeing as it's been successful for other sides. He replied only against France, and only after the equalizer, as we had been good up to that point.

He then went on to say he didn't like the fact that players were drinking beer after the Italy game as it showed our small time mentality.

*His opinions not mine

I think no different and I think your brother's opinion is a wee bit OTT .
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Anybody who thinks a couple of beers has any impact on an athlete's recovery time just doesn't understand how the body works.

30. Thanks From:

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast