Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your club's Greatest League in the world moment?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Des Casey, not being allowed in to Oriel Park by a steward who wasnt having it that Des was a former board member, VP of UEFA and owned the land they were all standing on! Brian Kerr while Ireland manager being asked to move out of the designated season tickets seating area in the stand by a steward who had no knowledge or interest in sport so had no idea who Kerr was, the place was almost empty so made no difference but the look on Brian Kerrs face was priceless. The club had just taken on a new batch of stewards and during their briefings were told to stick to the rules no excuses. The right thing to do but at the expense of common sense obviously. Des Casey took his pass to the next game too.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    -Kilcoynes swearing to the jesuits they're buying the ground to secure the clubs future there before immediately flipping it.
    - The 2006 play-off goalkeeper situation.
    - Playing a home game in cork
    To name 3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    rather than matches lost (still have nightmares over Francis and TNS) I would see this as weird and wonderful moments encountered in supporting Bohs

- Alan Byrne forgetting to bring his jersey and having to borrow one from a fan in the crowd (at Finn Harps) - what is it with Bohs and jerseys ?
    - Ref Alan Kelly disallowing a goal at Bray that hit the back of the net and bounced out (he said it hit the post)
    - ref taking the players off during a game at Dalymount due to hailstones, leaving the crowd to wait ten minutes before they came back out
    - joe dolan sponsorship which involved putting a sticker on jerseys that read 'no show like a joe show'
    - Mr Green offering to sponsor us 'if we changed our strip to green' compromise was the hideous green away jersey we had and players all given green boots !
    - sacking Roddy Collins weeks after his team won the double
    -actually everything about Roddy Collins time at Bohs

Oh God, the more I think about it the more zany scenarios spring to mind (and that's without our land selling expertise - we actually sold Dalymount to the FAI long before we sold it (twice) to developers, the fact we are still playing there is amazing in itself.)

Having aid all of that the league has give me some great moments and I wouldn't swop it for the world
    Last edited by marinobohs; 07/11/2018 at 1:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    -Kilcoynes swearing to the jesuits they're buying the ground to secure the clubs future there before immediately flipping it.
    To name 3
    How did that come about again, I have vague memories of something happening about this.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    There are people out there who support normal leagues and I feel nothing but sympathy for them. Great thread.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

6. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    How did that come about again, I have vague memories of something happening about this.
    Was it just that they were barred from Tolka (possibly for not paying rent)?

I know the game in Cork was a Cork away game, and they played a "home" game in Belfield too, against UCD. (Pete Mahon's first game in charge)

What was the 2006 goalkeeper situation though?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    That's some quality trolling right there ;-)
    iirc Rovers were left homeless for a bit when Pats decided they were no longer welcome to rent at Richmond after a couple of minor incidents, the last being at a derby v Bohs. Rovers played a home cup (or league?) game against UCD at Belfield then that infamous home league game at Turner's Cross- in their away kit to add insult to injury, before resettling at Tolka Park for the rest of the season. Must have been 2004.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Was it just that they were barred from Tolka (possibly for not paying rent)?

I know the game in Cork was a Cork away game, and they played a "home" game in Belfield too, against UCD. (Pete Mahon's first game in charge)

What was the 2006 goalkeeper situation though?
    Kicked out of Richmond after crowd trouble at a game vs Bohs, moved into tolka after playing two "home" games away.

My bad it was the 2005 relegation play off not 2006. Barry Murphy got injured in the first leg and the back up wasn't exactly great so Alan O'Neill went to get a new one but could only sign an unattached player so ended up signing a guy called Walshe who retired a year earlier but was still playing GAA so he got the call and played in the second leg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    #Greatestleagueintheworld greatest moment.... Where do you even start?

The barest tip of the iceberg......
    Dundalk going to the trophy cabinet and selecting an old Player of the Year trophy to "award" ourselves on clinching the title at the end of the 94-5 season... for some reason the FAI had the trophy in Athlone that day.
    Athlone keeper breaking the crossbar swinging out of it in the FAI Cup semi v Harps at Oriel in the 70s. Then deliberately bringing it down again when Athlone were losing.
    During the Trevor Anderson era a player won a DVD player in the club's monthly raffle- a week after he'd been released after an 'incident' after an away match.
    Brian Byrne going the length of the pitch to score into an empty net after Pats' Tony O'Dowd came up for a late corner.
    The faaaaaarce of the 2006 Independent Assessment Group.
    Rovers having a perfectly good goal disallowed (98-9) when it went thru a hole in the net in Oriel. Buttimer the ref, I think.
    Dave Rogers getting sent off for mooning the Pats fans- but to be honest we could write a book on #Greatestleagueintheworld moments from the Sean Connor season.

On a personal level....
    Chatting up a girl in Galway with the story that I played for Dundalk, which was going well until half the Dundalk squad walked into the hotel bar in question.
    An unforgettable night in Kilkenny that I can barely remember (were there any other kind of nights out in Kilkenny?) with a pal who successfully managed to chat up a deaf girl with a combination of improvised sign language, a notepad and sheer Dundalk charm. You know who you are.
    Arriving out of the Lilywhite Lounge in time to "apologise" to the Shels players for denying them the league title in '98 when they just needed a win in Oriel to win it. A particularly apolplectic Stephen Geoghegan had to be restrained.
    Playing football on the pitch with local 10 year olds after beating Jeunesse Esch in the Europa League.
    Iceland.... Iceland! Just fooking going to the most surreal, incredible amazing place in the world to watch Dundalk win a Champions League tie. Unforgettable and utterly beyond the comprehension of any barstooler or GAA head.
    Last edited by seand; 07/11/2018 at 3:58 PM.

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Bohs V Limerick FC in 1981 during the periodic Limerick football civil wars of that era. The Limerick players had been rounded up from various junior football teams in the Treaty City, each of them had a blue jersey , each with a different shade of blue, some numbers on with what looked like markers. 8-0 for Bohs. Had the programme for years with a blank column for the name of the away team and line out. The match subsequently ruled null and void for reasons that escape me. Replay was 0-0.

Rovers v West Brom in a friendly around the same era, in Milltown. O-O, West Brom player goes down injured, play stops, Ref signals Rovers player to put it out of play. Delightful 40 yard chip over his keepers head, o.g.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Was that the night v Shels that it was announced in the bar after the game that the entire squad were released?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Was that the night v Shels that it was announced in the bar after the game that the entire squad were released?
    Dundalk or Shels squad? Either way I don't think so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    More from Wexford and a few nostalgic ones before I forget them:-

Playing two matches with Paul Doolin around the time he moved from Bohs to Rovers and quickly realising that my chances of playing LOI or near it were as good as snow in the summer;
    The collective groan that went around a heaving Milltown when it was announced that George Best hadn’t travelled with the visitors, Cork Celtic. I think he only played three times for them in all;
    Watching Rovers beat a strong Arsenal side, including Tony Adams, 1-0 in a quickly arranged friendly at Milltown in the middle of a bitterly cold winter when all matches in England had been called off for a number of weeks;
    [The famous time when Limerick drove away from Ferrycarrig before the match as they were unhappy with the strength of the floodlights on the warm-up pitch;
    Arriving at Ferrycarrig for a match to be told that the Wexford centre-forward has already been sent off for relieving himself at the far end of the ground before the game;
    The graciousness of the Limerick fan standing beside me at the wall in Jackman Park to tell me that the better side had won after Shane Nolan scored for Wexford in the final minute with a speculative shot from 40 yards for our only shot on target;
    Getting an embrace from the Wexford goal-scorer while standing on the sidelines at Drom as we salvage a late draw against Salthill Devon in a match watched by about 40 people including three supporters from Wexford;
    Walking back from Turners Cross to the city centre after our famous league cup semi-final win against a strong Cork City side and getting quite emotional as I ambled along. I put it down to the fans in the Shed breaking their holes laughing as Mick led his team out with an early version of our pink jersey and then giving him and his squad a standing ovation as they returned. Made the hairs on my neck stand up!
    To my eternal shame, going up to have a look at the famous “Mon-Dogs” on my first visit to Gortakeegan and not really fancying them after seeing these enormous specimens bubbling away in the warm water and then encouraging my son to have one.
    Last edited by ForzaForth; 07/11/2018 at 5:53 PM.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Carmarthen away is the worst in more recent years.
    what about the avery john incident twice over?

firstly when we signed him we got threatened with a points deduction ,had points deducted for two months I think and then we had our points restored after our legal team proved who his last team was after his brief spell with Colchester Utd after not making an appearance.
    a year later he does a runner to south africa saying he was visiting his sick mother and it was proven that he was about to sign for a south african side and got a worldwide ban. that ended in time for him to appear in trinidad and tabogo side in world cup finals!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    And the Galway sex tape that lead up to it.
    what about the bold nick gleeson?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I wasn't around at the time, but Limerick's superstar chairman-slash-manager Danny Drew prowling round the ground trying to get somebody to identify a few foot.ie Limerick posters so he could ban them, must be up there.
    when was that trying to remember but struggling a bit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Was this not Dlk v Pats, possibly after one of those Thursday night games, a pure nuisance for Dlk fans living in Dublin or elsewhere at the time, anyway pretty sure it was after the Pats game and we might actually have won the game too, 1-0! Definitely the whole squad were told they were free to to. Possibly Keely was in charge so maybe 96.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Dundalk or Shels squad? Either way I don't think so.
    Dundalk. I'm sure it was late 90's, after a poor run we helped decide the destination of the title last day (again) but any lift in mood was soon dampened as the board announced financial difficulties and that the squad was going on the transfer list.

Could have been Pats but for sme reason Shels fits better in my memory.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 07/11/2018 at 7:34 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ForzaForth View Post
    Playing two matches with Paul Doolin around the time he moved from Bohs to Rovers and quickly realising that my chances of playing LOI or near it were as good as snow in the summer;
    Wait, what?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    To name 3
    That’s a myth re the Jesuits- they were fully aware of what was happening and simply wanted the money - they’re only regret is that they didn’t sell directly to a developer.... but that’s what happens when your accountant is also acting as an adviser for the other side .
    Last edited by Calcio Jack; 07/11/2018 at 8:57 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast