Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Robbie Brady (M Preston b.1992)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Met Rob in the airport at Leeds,hes suspended for a few games, sound lad, even after my mate hounded him to sign for Leeds,top lad i have to say . P.S Andy Keogh had a class game when he came on at Leeds, very decent preformance, Aidy White was solid enough to, But i was surprised at Keogh

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    just saw the tackle he was sent off for. I thought it might be a typical wingers studs up and fly in but to be fair it was a real strong side on tackle where he won the ball that did not deserve any card.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    just saw the tackle he was sent off for. I thought it might be a typical wingers studs up and fly in but to be fair it was a real strong side on tackle where he won the ball that did not deserve any card.
    Totally agree with above comment. Football is turning into a non contact sport, where the tackle is being outlawed. Shameful decision by Ref.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,680 Posts
    I love watching a proper tackle where one guy's foot steals the ball from his opponent's foot, ideally standing up.

A sliding tackle where the defenders "sweeps" the ball with the top of his foot is great to watch too.

A sliding tackle with studs up is the dangerous one.

There's always a grey area between a fair shoulder and a barge.

I haven't seen Brady's tackle, but I'm generally unsympathetic to "football's becoming a non-contact" sport claims because of who usually makes them. Duty of care is the key issue, but another is to restore the skill to tackling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I have seen the tackle and ten years ago the tackle would have been allowed. At the very most he should have been penalised for an over robust tackle.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Philip Reid mentioned Brady in Saturday's Irish Times, saying that he could be a real possible bolter come next June for Trappatoni's squad, as there is a possibility he'll get game time with United in the new year.

Edit. here's the piece
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...308524111.html
    Last edited by Kingdom; 05/12/2011 at 1:20 PM.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

7. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'm not usually sympathetic to people who get sent off for heavy challenges but this does look a bit harsh. At the same time, I read in a couple of places that a red card's been coming for him. He's definitely a full-blooded tackler.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I'm not usually sympathetic to people who get sent off for heavy challenges but this does look a bit harsh. At the same time, I read in a couple of places that a red card's been coming for him. He's definitely a full-blooded tackler.
    What the hell? That tackle was never a straight red card. It must have looked a lot worse from the angle the referee was looking at it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,680 Posts
    Hmm, I'll sit on the fence on that one.

He clearly won the ball but it was a lunge and those lunges can go wrong. His follow through came right through the guy. On this instance I'd have given a foul on the basis that he owes a duty of care which was not shown, but given a stern warning rather than a card. There are degrees of recklessnes and I think the fact that it was side-on and the ball was well ahead of the Southampton player made it less reckless than, say, the Hutton tackle.

I think referees are right to focus on overly aggressive tackles though. The art of actually tackling properly is going out of the game.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Hmm, I'll sit on the fence on that one.

He clearly won the ball but it was a lunge and those lunges can go wrong. His follow through came right through the guy. On this instance I'd have given a foul on the basis that he owes a duty of care which was not shown, but given a stern warning rather than a card. There are degrees of recklessnes and I think the fact that it was side-on and the ball was well ahead of the Southampton player made it less reckless than, say, the Hutton tackle.

I think referees are right to focus on overly aggressive tackles though. The art of actually tackling properly is going out of the game.
    I think that's fair enough but in this instance I'd hate to see tackles like that stamped out (pardon the pun) - the ball was there to be played and Brady went in for it 100%. Took the man on the way through, so a foul but no way was it a sending off. The signal this sends out is 'don't tackle' when the message should be 'tackle properly'.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    Not a red card. The Southampton player's histrionics gets him sent off.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I think it was an almost fair lunge for the ball. The ball was there for a fraction of time in no man's land and Brady went for it.

No way were Brady's studs going to make contact with the other player. You might even make a case for the other player jumping in, in such a way to protect the ball that he put himself in danger. But I might be biased. This Brady lad looks good.

Did you see the ticker tape 'Reid sent off for Forest'
    Last edited by geysir; 05/12/2011 at 3:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    I agree - that's a very harsh sending off.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Should never have been sent off, he had every right to go for the ball, if anything the other
    player should have been booked for obstruction, he makes no attempt to play the ball
    and he clearly tries to obstruct Brady from getting to the ball.

The game has gone crazy to the extent to can't make a legitimate tackle.

It is ridiculous, Brady clearly goes to play the ball and it is equally clear that
    the other guy doesn't attempt to play the ball and it is clear his
    only intention was to body check Brady to obstruct him!!
    Look where he puts his foot, no attempt to play the ball just to block Brady.
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 05/12/2011 at 4:25 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The Southampton player was fully entitled to shield the ball with his body. The issue is Brady's tackle and whether it was reckless and likely to cause injury. I think the fact he brought his second leg around to swipe the player from behind was probably enough to justify a red card. Hull haven't appealed, in any case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    I think the fact he brought his second leg around to swipe the player from behind was probably enough to justify a red card. Hull haven't appealed, in any case.
    He didn't swipe his leg. He comes straight through the tackle, one leg leading, the other leg coming behind it pretty much in parallel with the first. The nature of the challenge and the body position of the player he's tackling makes it look like a swiping motion, but there's definitely no intentional movement from Brady. It's a forceful if relatively fair attempt to play the ball imo.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    The Southampton player was fully entitled to shield the ball with his body. The issue is Brady's tackle and whether it was reckless and likely to cause injury. I think the fact he brought his second leg around to swipe the player from behind was probably enough to justify a red card. Hull haven't appealed, in any case.
    I don't think he is entitled to shield the ball like that, I see that as obstruction, and look where he stamps his foot, he
    could have broke Brady's leg. The rules are all wrong, you cannot tackle anymore you can pick up the ball and walk it
    into the goal and it anyone tackles you they are sent off!!
    How can it be dangerous when he plays the ball?

Also how is Brady's lunge any different to that of the other guy?
    The only difference I can see is that Brady plays the ball and the other guy does not!!!

I don't think he brings his second leg round either, his second leg just happens to be connected to
    the rest of his body and thus tends to follow it around automatically.

Makes no sense!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    What? He went to shield the ball because normally Brady would attempt to go shoulder to shoulder. The tackle was completely unnecessary. Maybe he doesn't swing the leg around but the way he goes in he stills takes the defender's legs out from under him.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Hull haven't appealed, in any case.
    Because Hull are not appealing, does not mean they think it was straight red card offense. Once a ref decides it was a straight red card, then that becomes the truth by default.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Maybe he doesn't swing the leg around but the way he goes in he stills takes the defender's legs out from under him.
    I actually think, if anything, that makes it a fairer attempt. From looking at it the ball is there to be played but the angle of the Southampton player means, to play it, a tackler would have to come 'round the corner', at an angle. Brady could've went straight through the guy, but instead, he tries to play the ball first by swinging his right leg round to play it.

It doesn't quite come off for him - it's a foul for me - but it's still a tough challenge, in the spirit of the game. Zero malice in it. Over-exuberant maybe, full-blooded sure, but definitely not a red. I think he's very unlucky.

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast