Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 29 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI In Europe 2020

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    The ref was shocking in our game. Fell for all the play acting by the Andorrans which resulted in Boyle’s second yellow. They were cynical and fairly dirty. We should’ve been two or three up at half time but saw the game out in the end without Rogers being seriously threatened.
    Main thing is we’re in to the next round next week in Moldova.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    That was a very decent display by Rovers. Thought they would lose 5 nil. Dundalk still in Europe though which is something.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Decent performance from Rovers. Milan played in spurts, and when they stepped it up, especially when pressing, Rovers could do nothing. But that's to be expected against a team of their quality.

When they slowed down Rovers were able to play, and created a few decent chances. Greene's shot from Byrne's lovely pass probably the best of them. Byrne looked excellent as usual. Hard to criticise any Rovers player when up against that level of opposition, but Burke was one you might have expected to show a bit of quality, but he was very very quiet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    That was a very decent display by Rovers. Thought they would lose 5 nil. Dundalk still in Europe though which is something.
    They should be pleased with that. It’s a relatively good result considering Zlatan alone earns six million quid a year.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Yes they did as well as could reasonably be expected overall.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Great performance from rovers. As good as you could hope for really. No silly goals. And no thrashing either.

Lopes has had a great game

That's what you'd hope for from all LOI sides sadly it's a rarity rather than a normality.

Dundalk could be in for a big beating next week.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Missed the 2nd goal scored against Rovers, was in Zoom meeting. Has Byrne done enough to earn an international recall? He was excellent first half. Well done Dundalk!
    Aon, dó, trí, bhí mé i mo luí, thit mé den leaba, he! he! he!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Thought Byrne was great tonight. Not been great since the break I thought it but excellent tonight.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Thought Byrne was great tonight. Not been great since the break I thought it but excellent tonight.
    Had a good game against Cork on Saturday too, in fairness to him, he missed all of the 'restart pre season' so it was always going to take a few games to get up to speed.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Good to see Dundalk through,the last representative left on the Island of Ireland and fingers crossed they pull out a performance next week.
    Rovers game went as expected,Milan are different level but Rovers had a few chances which they had to take to have a chance,you always felt Milan could move up a gear if needed but no shame for Rovers,Byrne,Lopes and Farrugia impressed me.
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    The game panned out as expected. It was a major step up in quality to what Rovers are used to and the result was never really in doubt.
    It should be good experience for the Rovers players for when they're playing in the champions league next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Two great results.

Dundalk were very comfortable throughout, even with 10 men. Need to be more clinical next week though - should have been at least 3-0 tonight. But it's a long time since we had actually scored away in Europe (didn't do it at all under Perth) and confidence levels are still evidently a bit low.

That's 3 wins from 3 games under Filippo, can't ask for much more than that. Duffy looks back on his game since Perth left.

Playoff round draw tomorrow and we could get a very favourable draw (or the opposite!) so it will be interesting to see what awaits if we get past Sheriff.

The Andorrans were really poor though, to be fair. Rogers had nothing to do. The only things they were good at were conning the ref and kicking.

Wouldn't fancy Cleary at centre back in Moldova next week so hopefully it's Gannon RB and Hoare beside Gartland. We got some silly yellows, not sure if they affect availability for next week.

As for Milan, they were out for a kick about in what was a pre season game for them. In first gear throughout. Very comfortable and it didn't really make for great viewing as a match. The whole occasion really missed a packed house.

But a poor Rovers team didn't disgrace themselves so a positive night all round for the LOI.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    Two great results.

Dundalk were very comfortable throughout, even with 10 men. Need to be more clinical next week though - should have been at least 3-0 tonight. But it's a long time since we had actually scored away in Europe (didn't do it at all under Perth) and confidence levels are still evidently a bit low.

That's 3 wins from 3 games under Filippo, can't ask for much more than that. Duffy looks back on his game since Perth left.

Playoff round draw tomorrow and we could get a very favourable draw (or the opposite!) so it will be interesting to see what awaits if we get past Sheriff.

The Andorrans were really poor though, to be fair. Rogers had nothing to do. The only things they were good at were conning the ref and kicking.

Wouldn't fancy Cleary at centre back in Moldova next week so hopefully it's Gannon RB and Hoare beside Gartland. We got some silly yellows, not sure if they affect availability for next week.

As for Milan, they were out for a kick about in what was a pre season game for them. In first gear throughout. Very comfortable and it didn't really make for great viewing as a match. The whole occasion really missed a packed house.

But a poor Rovers team didn't disgrace themselves so a positive night all round for the LOI.
    Can you even see the chip on your shoulder or do the blinkers get in the way?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    He's had a back injury since the return, only really shaken it in the last couple of weeks and looks better for it.

I'm not to sit here and celebrate a defeat but that was a really impressive performance from us against a much better side. Players gave their all and created a good few chances, and with a bit of luck might have made a closer game of it or even got something. Scoring might have just made Milan angry, mind you.

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    He's had a back injury since the return, only really shaken it in the last couple of weeks and looks better for it.

I'm not to sit here and celebrate a defeat but that was a really impressive performance from us against a much better side. Players gave their all and created a good few chances, and with a bit of luck might have made a closer game of it or even got something. Scoring might have just made Milan angry, mind you.
    I agree that there is something counter-intuitive about celebrating a clear and compressive defeat, but Rovers did well in parts.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    We needed to be at our best with Milan having an off night to have a chance....neither of those things happened. We were nervy in patches and good in patches. Milan came to play though and had clearly done their homework. Jack got plenty of attention and the entire Milan team worked and pressed all night. A mark of respect I suppose. Its some run of form they are on since Pioli got them to click and they had another gear or 2 to go to if needed though. That said, Im proud of the team. Creating clear cut chances and forcing cynical fouls against a team of that calibre isnt easy. Lots of what ifs but realistically Milan were going to get through that somehow. Ibrahimovic really is a special player. Fair play to Pico for keeping him honest but he was streets ahead of everyone including his teammates. Exciting times for Milan with him orchestrating a young group of talented players.

Fair play to Dundalk for regrouping and getting back to some form. I lived in Andorra for a while and ive never heard of the team they played but any win in europe should be celebrated and hopefully it keeps them nice and focused on europe while we take another trophy from them.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I agree that there is something counter-intuitive about celebrating a clear and compressive defeat, but Rovers did well in parts.
    They're a much better team than us, we knew that. But sometimes you can play above yourself and get something. We played above ourselves but it wasn't enough. I'm happy with how they did and I think they'll get better as a result so it's good. Dundalk improved from games like Legia and Zenit and I think an experience like this will help our team too. Thought Finner rolled back the years with a great game and his Dundalk experience must have fed into that.

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Random stat for goalkeeping fans from James Rogers as Gary Rogers seeks his 15th Euro clean sheet next week
    against Sheriff

23 - Shay Given
    14 - Gary Rogers
    10 - Packie Bonner
    7 - Michael Devine
    6 - Barry Ryan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Playoff draw is today and Dundalk’s options are below.

Seeded
    Qarabağ (AZE)*

Unseeded
    Sheriff (MDA) / Dundalk (IRL)
    KÍ (FRO) / Dinamo Tbilisi (GEO)
    Legia (POL) / Drita (KOS)

You’d be looking to draw the winner of KI v Dinamo Tbilisi.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    A good win for Dundalk. Didn't see the game but by all accounts they made hard work of it. Expected them to win easier but I suppose in Europe a win is a win, especially away from home. Extra cash always welcome too.

Only seen the second half of the Shamrock game. And they had some nice passages of play at times. The history books will show a 2 nil against a giant of the game. Taking of the LOI glasses though, Milan looked like they had 2 or 3 gears left in them. Just shows the gulf.
    Last edited by redobit; 18/09/2020 at 9:52 AM.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Page 29 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast