Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 UEFA European Under-17 Championship

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts

All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I didn’t see last night’s game but I hear they played conservatively, deliberately keeping things tight as the first priority. It may not be the best window to assess how good or bad these guys are.

Unless I heard Brian Kerr’s quotes out of context, I’ve got to say I disagree with his immediate assessment of the Emerging Talent Programme and what it’s producing. I was at the Bosnia game (having the pleasure of watching it with our own Kingdom) and here is what I texted to some friends straight after.

“Some serious talent in the U17s. Both CBs big strong and ball playing. Kameron Ledwidge the stand out for me but Nathan Collins good too. Connell left back looks the part as did the sub full back Max Murphy when he came on.

Tyrieke Wright right midfield receives the ball brilliantly in tight situations and has the skill to escape attention. Parrot was in and out of it but when in it he was really proactive. Idah was a mixed bag. Great athlete but lazy choices and poor execution sometimes. Lovely finish for his goal but could have had a couple more. McEntee another giant and good on the ball. Knight a talented CM, Coffey has physical presence but didn’t show much as a footballing midfielder. Brennan looks like Wes but didn’t get into the game enough. Keeper Corcoran didn’t have much to do. Bosnia keeper a fully grown giant! Looks about 30.

In general we looked a good team, organised and fully cohesive. Both CBs happy to carry the ball forward until they are challenged. Nearly ballsed it up once but the team move like a unit, much like Germany at senior level, which is great to see in an Irish team. My criticism is that maybe they’re a bit too technical, but in truth 4 or 5–1 wouldn’t have been unfair. We isolated their defence at ease at times but finishing was a bit panicked, Idah and Wright in particular. They track back well and put in some good tackles, none in desperation either. A few hairy moments but that’s what you’d expect in 80 mins of football.”

Highlight of the day for me was Andy Reid saying hello to me 
    Great post Stutts. That's one criticism you don't read about most Irish teams, being too technical! Certainly a sense of greater optimism about the future of Irish football and most welcome. Also, class response from Corcoran regarding the sending off, typical Meathman!

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-36911045.html
    Last edited by gastric; 16/05/2018 at 1:17 AM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Tets, those stills are meaningless. The real time video shows Corcoran both started behind the line and made two steps before the kick was taken. The Dutch keeper did neither.

The idea that "his foot was still on the line" is irrelevant

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    While Corcoran moved around alright his movement was mostly lateral which is allowed.

It's done and dusted now and goes into the same folder as Henry but a bit nearer the back of it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    The rule quoted says the keeper may not move his feet - so no lateral movement allowed under that wording.

Anyway, I can't see how, having watched the video, you can argue it was mostly lateral. It wasn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    I should add that this belongs nowhere near the Henry incident. The only disgrace here is that coaching staff and player didn't know the rules of the game.

I agree it's a harsh rule, and probably even illogical too, as noted by others. But it's the rule. Filing it alongside blatant cheating, giving out about the ref, or bringing in things that have nothing to do with the rule unfortunately only serve to reflect badly on the complainants.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Corcoran calls card "cruel but correct"

Fair dues to him

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/963797/

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    If it was me, i would have given him a verbal warning and made the Dutch lad take it again, being aware that the goalie is about 16. However, the ref on paper made 100% the right call i guess.

The response from corcoran tells me a lot about him. The difference between lads making it is often minimal and that difference is often the young player's drive and personality - even more nowadays with lads on crazy money for being on a professional contract. Fair play to him.

It will be interesting to see if this is a very talented batch or if it is the sign of things clicking together for us. The word is that the ddsl lads were very competitive in the Friendship cup and St Kevin's are always very good against the giants of european football when they play them.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    If it was me, i would have given him a verbal warning and made the Dutch lad take it again, being aware that the goalie is about 16.
    For which you would probably have been reported by the referee's assessor, and maybe not given any such profile match again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    I think Emmett Malone sums it up well today in the IT....

"It was harsh on Ireland but the Dutch go on and good luck to them. There have, despite suggestions to the contrary, been greater injustices in the history of the game than the manner of the Irish team’s exit the other night. Yet when the dust settles and the tournament is being reviewed, the incident will hopefully be recognised as a slightly shameful way to treat a 16-year-old doing his best to represent his country.

It would not be of much consolation to Corcoran but the rule should be changed again to ensure he is the only one to suffer that fate."

12. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Let's see how it's enforced in the WC.

14. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Indo reporting that both Irish and Dutch manager said that before the penalties, the ref warned about a yellow card being the punishment (for saved penalties at least).

Tbh, the bit about getting a yellow only for saved (and missed?) penalties is the bit that bothers me most.

16. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    For which you would probably have been reported by the referee's assessor, and maybe not given any such profile match again.
    I can only speak as someone who has played the game and as a football fan. As i said in my post, he was well within his remit to do what he did. However, football is a game where common sense should be used, especially at that level.

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    I can only speak as someone who has played the game and as a football fan. As i said in my post, he was well within his remit to do what he did. However, football is a game where common sense should be used, especially at that level.
    What did you think he did that was not common sense? Bear in mind, he had already warned both teams (or keepers at least) that they would be cautioned for doing what Corcoran went on to do.

EDIT: I think much of the criticism levelled at this ref exists because other refs don't actually enforce the law properly.
    Last edited by osarusan; 16/05/2018 at 6:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    If referees are permitted or encouraged to use "common sense", then you get a situation where, for example, Real Madrid aren't given an injury time penalty against Juventus because sure didn't Juve do so well to come back from 3-0 down.

Referees absolutely have to apply the letter of the law impartially. That's what they're there to do.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Does the letter of the law state that only if the penalty is saved that you get a caution?

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man View Post
    Does the letter of the law state that only if the penalty is saved that you get a caution?
    http://theifab.com/laws/the-penalty-...nalty-kick-faq
    Q3: Why must the goalkeeper who infringes the Law at a penalty kick and causes the kick to be retaken, be cautioned (YC)?
    If the goalkeeper moves early (or infringes in any other way) this can directly affect the outcome of the penalty kick so introducing a caution(YC) is consistent with the increased punishment for the kicker and should deter goalkeepers from moving early etc.
    Last edited by Closed Account; 16/05/2018 at 7:52 PM.

23. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    So you can infringe the law providing you don't save it.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man View Post
    So you can infringe the law providing you don't save it.
    Correct.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    A lot of sticklers that love their old rule book. The lad was only 16 ffs, and if the ref didnt give it no one would have complained.
    As I said, lets see how often this rule is used the WCup. Will be interesting. Lets wait and see.

27. Thanks From:

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast