Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Rory Delap

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I did a google, thinking it might be funny, but ill admit it incase it came across a bit weird.

But what about bailey mckenzie scott. Surely it should read the other way around? Anyway there is one.

My cousin named her son after her maiden name, but it works as a first name in Ireland for a boy. Actually its more common as a first name than a surname. Come to think of it I hate people use first names as surnames

The point is, I think it comes from the maiden name of the mother a lot, in cases where they don't barrell name. In South American countries its quite common to even have the grandmothers name in there somewhere...
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 09/11/2012 at 2:09 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    On a completely unrelated note, up until the 1930s Shirley was an exclusively male name.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Shirley you're not being serious?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Do you guys think of 'Rory' as a girls name at this point? I feel like it is one of those names like Dylan that has evolved into a girls name...
    Sounds a very masculine name to me, I think of Rory Bremner, Rory McIlroy, smae goes for Dylan, Bob Dylan, Dylan Thomas amd some rabbit on the Magic Roundabout.
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 09/11/2012 at 3:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    On a completely unrelated note, up until the 1930s Shirley was an exclusively male name.
    I always thought it was a girls name, so I was amused when I found Big Daddy's real name was Shirley (Crabtree).
    We has Shirley Bassey at the time and Shirley Temple

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Confirmed he's played his last game for Stoke: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-29075056.html

I didn't realise he was 37.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Great interview, sounds like a chap with his head well and truly screwed on. Wonder will he look into coaching.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Looks like it's time for this!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Looks like it's time for this!!!

Good Lord! How have I never seen that before?

Call him up, Trap!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

Rory Delap retires from football

Great pro. Read somewhere that after failing to make the 2002 WC squad he booked a flight and went to support the team anyway.

Rory Delap retires

To be fair the video doesn't do him justice. He was a pretty useful player outside of his long throws, that Tony Pulis eventually exploited.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 16/12/2013 at 4:21 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    To be fair the video doesn't do him justice. He was a pretty useful player outside of his long throws that Tony Pulis eventually exploited.
    Decent player anyway, clearly overshadowed by his long throw ability — but at the same time, the long throws were spectacular. Amazing how many mental goals resulted from the chaos caused by lashing the ball right into the heart of the defence. Has there ever been another player in the history of the game capable of the distance and trajectory of throws Delap could produce?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Wasn't there some guy for Tranmere that was pretty famous for his throws? Don't think I ever saw them myself though. Mick McCarthy, but he wasn't really in the Delap class I suppose - distance yes, trajectory no.

My God, I only just got to play Tricky's video above now. Like Danny, I had never saw that goal either... that, as Paul Merson would say, is a worldie!!
    Last edited by DeLorean; 16/12/2013 at 4:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Wasn't there some guy for Tranmere that was pretty famous for his throws? Don't think I ever saw them myself though. Mick McCarthy, but he wasn't really in the Delap class I suppose - distance yes, trajectory no.

My God, I only just got to play Tricky's video above now. Like Danny, I had never saw that goal either... that, as Paul Merson would say, is a worldie!!
    Dave Challinor. Had the distance but nothing like Delap's, iirc. Delap's unique style came from being an excellent javelin thrower in his youth. Considering our "style" under Trap and our reliance on goals from set-pieces I found it bizarre Delap wasn't called up again and given a chance.

I fecking hated Trap.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Thanks for a hell of a lot of brilliant memories Rory. Stoke City legend, and will never have to pay for his own pint in the Potteries

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Serb View Post
    Has there ever been another player in the history of the game capable of the distance and trajectory of throws Delap could produce?
    Rory Gaffney with Limerick has a fairly good crack at it himself from time to time. Delap's was better but Gaffney's is freakish enough in it's own right.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    The scientific-sounding section devoted to his throw-in on his Wikipedia page is well worth a read for its oddity.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Throw-ins

Delap, a former schoolboy javelin champion, is renowned for having one of the longest and most feared throw-ins in football; his throws, noted by Martin O'Neill as equivalent to "a corner or a free kick", often range 30–40 metres (98–130 ft) (averaging 38 m (125 ft)), and can reach the speed of 60 km/h (37 mph). They have served as an assist in more than one case before 2008. Numerous experts, including his former manager Tony Pulis, have commented on the technique Delap employs, the length and flatness undoing many a defence. "It causes so many problems (amongst the opposition defence). I think it's because they're so flat. They're not lofted into the air, he throws it pretty flat and it's very difficult for defenders to pick up the flight."

Fellow professionals similarly renowned for long throw-ins, such as Mario Melchiot, formerly of Wigan Athletic, and Lee Dixon, formerly of Arsenal, have also spoken of their admiration for Delap. Melchiot described Delap's ability as "one hell of a throw-in" and a "great weapon", having already set Delap out for unique praise in stating that he did not think there was "anyone in the league that can throw like him".

To increase the momentum of the throw, Delap takes four steps from the advertising boards around the pitch, followed by one long stride. In doing this he plants his front foot solidly on the ground propelling all momentum forward, thus increasing the speed with which the ball is released. Delap says he does not work on building his upper body strength and physique, although he uses his shoulders and lower back muscles to give power to his throw. For the ball to reach his target faster, Delap throws it on a flat trajectory releasing in such a way to cause large amounts of backspin. This helps to counter gravity so the ball will travel on a more level elevation even though it is released at such a low angle. He tends to target two players within 6ft of each other. His throw-ins are reputed as more accurate than most corners being that more muscles are used to control the direction in which the ball travels.

Factors, according to Dixon's analysis, which further enhance the dangerous nature of Delap's throw-ins are the fact that "you cannot be offside from a throw-in, so the attackers can crowd the six-yard box" and "because a free-kick starts with the ball on the ground it means it has to have a natural arc in order to get up and over the first defender", whereas "from a throw-in the ball starts from six foot and it is the angle and trajectory of Delap's darts that make them so potent".

In the 2008–09 Premier League season Delap's throw-ins led directly to both goals scored in at least two matches. Both Stoke goals in the 3–2 loss to Everton on 14 September 2008 came about as a result of Delap's throw. Afterwards Everton manager David Moyes referred to Delap as the "Human Sling".[88] Later, Delap used his ability to help score Stoke's goals in the 2–1 victory over Arsenal at the Britannia Stadium on 1 November 2008. The first of these travelled 45 metres from the sideline into the penalty area.

The then Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari described the technique as "fantastic" and suggested the goalkeeper ought not to attempt claiming the ball in this situation. "I think he puts the ball better with his hands than his foot, it's fantastic. I have never seen anything like this in my life; 10 metres outside midfield, this boy puts the ball inside the area. Maybe it's not beautiful football but it's effective."

While many believe Delap should use his throwing ability to his team's advantage, Arsène Wenger is against the idea. He stated in an interview on the Arsenal website. "For example at Stoke, for Rory Delap it is like kicking the ball. It is a little bit of an unfair advantage. He is using a strength that is usually not a strength in football. So [the rule I would change would be] maybe to play throw-ins by foot. Why not? I think it would make the game quicker. Football is the most popular team game in the world and one day some crazy guy said 'we don't use the hands'. How could you have imagined on that day a game that is completely natural to play with your hands would become the most popular sport?"

Some teams have used techniques to try and put Delap off his long throws. Notable examples include, against Hull City on 29 November 2008; goalkeeper Boaz Myhill kicking the ball out for a corner instead into touch when under pressure. Unused Tigers substitute Dean Windass received a yellow card for unsporting behaviour after warming up too close to Delap when preparing to take a throw-in. On 27 March 2010, West Ham United erected an extra set of hoardings considerably close to the touchline to hamper Delap's run-up, but he was still capable of reaching the penalty box in spite of the limited space. These hoardings backfired when a misplaced throw from Hammers defender Julien Faubert led to Ricardo Fuller to score the only goal of the game in the Potters' favour. Burnley also tried a similar tactic however the match finished 1–1 with Stoke's goal coming from a Delap throw.

Delap served as the inspiration for Danny Brooks – a P.E. teacher from West Yorkshire who broke the world record for the longest football throw-in. He performed a flip throw to gain extra momentum and lifted the record to 49.78 metres (163 ft).[96] The record was once again broken on 18 June 2010, and is now held by Thomas Gronnemark of Denmark, who threw the ball 51.33 metres (168 ft).
    In his eleven appearances for us, he only ever played in two competitive fixtures; the two play-off games against Turkey in 1999. It surprises me he didn't play more frequently as I always rated him as a pretty decent player.

19. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Delap became famous for his throw in when Stoke got promoted, by which time he was in his 30's and had already played a few hundred games in the premiership. I think he's unfairly been remembered as someone who had a long throw and not much else going for him. Trap made some dismissive comment along the same lines early in his tenure when Delap was worthy of a place in the squad.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    The guy played like a drain against Turkey, but a shame he didn't get more of a crack at an international career. Strikes me as the kind of guy who could make a great coach. Good luck Rory.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    He was a good player, more than just a long throw, and the best thrower of a ball I have ever seen, seems he was still on Stokes books when he was 37 which is quite something these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I don't think anybody over here, or supporters of his clubs, would disagree that he was a decent player outside of his throw-ins. It's only natural that he'll be remembered by most neutrals for them though, same way I only knew about that Tranmere guy because of them. That said, he should really be remembered for that goal in tricky's video, can't get my head around how I've never seen it! Reminds me of Rooney's v City a bit.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast