Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attendances

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts

Attendances

I know this has been discussed before and im not lookin for another bandwagon supporters/bar stoolers etc debate, but the crowds this season have been alarmingly low. Many people have commented on how are we keeping the show on the road and it is a valid point.

Its clear as day that we have to get more people out to games, even in a practical sense a few ball boys/girls to retrieve the ball that we badly need. Ive read in other posts that bray have been getting good crowds, helped by inviting 3 schoolboy teams to games. No the club isnt a babysitting service, but lets face it, it could do with the money. The red and black pack made good strides but havnt heard much about them in recent times which is unfortunate.

There is a lack of affinity between many people in the town and the club and this needs to addressed. When slashers won the county final they visited the schools all week after, and children who might not have had a clue before, know about them now. Surely more needs to be done in this regard

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabs88 View Post
    I know this has been discussed before and im not lookin for another bandwagon supporters/bar stoolers etc debate, but the crowds this season have been alarmingly low. Many people have commented on how are we keeping the show on the road and it is a valid point.

Its clear as day that we have to get more people out to games, even in a practical sense a few ball boys/girls to retrieve the ball that we badly need. Ive read in other posts that bray have been getting good crowds, helped by inviting 3 schoolboy teams to games. No the club isnt a babysitting service, but lets face it, it could do with the money. The red and black pack made good strides but havnt heard much about them in recent times which is unfortunate.

There is a lack of affinity between many people in the town and the club and this needs to addressed. When slashers won the county final they visited the schools all week after, and children who might not have had a clue before, know about them now. Surely more needs to be done in this regard
    Great post and I agree with everything you said in that. Years ago there was an affinity with people around not just the town but county of Longford with the club. Stephen Kenny was brilliant in that respect and the players that were there at the time would go to the opening of an envelope around the place if someone asked them, they were very obliging. The club isn't sold at all. A friend of mine was at the Bray game last week and commented on the amount of kids on the dart going out to the game, in all his years going to games out there he never seen a buzz like it and it was generated by the schoolkids. Years ago Bray were miles behind us in terms of attracting people to the grounds but a massive push to get in crowds. I was unable to go to the game Fri due to work but I heard the crowd was woeful. Sad to see that happening.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Insider View Post
    Great post and I agree with everything you said in that. Years ago there was an affinity with people around not just the town but county of Longford with the club. Stephen Kenny was brilliant in that respect and the players that were there at the time would go to the opening of an envelope around the place if someone asked them, they were very obliging. The club isn't sold at all. A friend of mine was at the Bray game last week and commented on the amount of kids on the dart going out to the game, in all his years going to games out there he never seen a buzz like it and it was generated by the schoolkids. Years ago Bray were miles behind us in terms of attracting people to the grounds but a massive push to get in crowds. I was unable to go to the game Fri due to work but I heard the crowd was woeful. Sad to see that happening.
    its good talk lads but when da town arent doing as great as they used to do you blame people for stayin away? what spoilt us was the amount of hangers on that went to matches and when things turned downhill they downed tools and left.. They are not going to come back until the club performs on the field.. end of story..
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    The usual pattern for the last few years is that we start off getting relatively ok crowds then due to bad results/boredom/whatever they drop off as the season goes on. Then when there's nothing to play for nobody except the hardcore is bothered. There's not really a culture in the country as a whole of actually going to matches on a regular basis. Even with the GAA people will only go to four or five games in the year. There's a pretty large amount of unemployment in the county which doesn't help things. There was alot of work put in over the years with the schools with little long term gain.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    To be honest i wouldnt blame many adults for stayin away, my post reflected the need to get younger people involved, ball girls/boys half time games etc. Its not like a 6/7/8 year old will bemoan the lack of quality at matches i remember it was when i played a half time game way back in '98 i think against whitehall rangers iirc, it was then I really got a taste for the club, the ground etc, and cant imagine the quality was too great that night!

As for a lot of effort put in to schools over the years, i have failed to see much of that despite being educated in the town and working in schools locally.. stephen kenny visited our school once years backand that was it. Surely it worth a try if we're playing friday games get a player or two in their tracksuits into schools talk to them about the match etc wouldnt be that difficult!

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Longford is full of sunshine supporters im sorry to say it but its the truth. I remember the o7 final all my mates from school that usually slag me for supporting the town got free tickets from the local soccer club and guess what ive never seen one of them in flancare since.

I definitely agree with the posts made above about bringing more kids out to games as ball boys / playing ht matches ect but ultimately results will decide attendances.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    To be honest i wouldnt blame many adults for stayin away, my post reflected the need to get younger people involved, ball girls/boys half time games etc. Its not like a 6/7/8 year old will bemoan the lack of quality at matches i remember it was when i played a half time game way back in '98 i think against whitehall rangers iirc, it was then I really got a taste for the club, the ground etc, and cant imagine the quality was too great that night!

As for a lot of effort put in to schools over the years, i have failed to see much of that despite being educated in the town and working in schools locally.. stephen kenny visited our school once years backand that was it. Surely it worth a try if we're playing friday games get a player or two in their tracksuits into schools talk to them about the match etc wouldnt be that difficult!
    It's pretty difficult to tell lads what to do when they're on such basic wages, they need to be in their day jobs as much as possible. When we had a full time CPO he was, supposedly, visiting every school in the county I can't say for sure where he went or what he did but that was his job. When we won our trophies, Messrs Kirby and Prunty as the main local based players did a fair amount of visits. I'm not trying to be negative but as far as I'm aware there's not one idea mentioned here that hasn't been done before. That's not to say it shouldn't be tried again but just be aware that there's alot of people that have tried alot of things over the years even from my limited knowledge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    It's pretty difficult to tell lads what to do when they're on such basic wages, they need to be in their day jobs as much as possible. When we had a full time CPO he was, supposedly, visiting every school in the county I can't say for sure where he went or what he did but that was his job. When we won our trophies, Messrs Kirby and Prunty as the main local based players did a fair amount of visits. I'm not trying to be negative but as far as I'm aware there's not one idea mentioned here that hasn't been done before. That's not to say it shouldn't be tried again but just be aware that there's alot of people that have tried alot of things over the years even from my limited knowledge.
    I am sure from this years squad Mick Lee has gone around one or two schools this season and last..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    people wont come because we are going nowhere positive(used as an excuse) and the club wont invest because they say noone is coming so they dont have the money. its a catch 22!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    For anyone who can't remember (or who may not have been present to see), we had penalty shootout competitions for national schools during our first 10 home games of the season.

Also, Michael Lee and Craig Walsh spend a couple of days visiting the national schools around the town about 6 weeks ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Well why didnt they visit the biggest primary school in town, seems a bit odd i think!

There were some penalty shoot outs, but why werent they retained?! Would it not be much better having two small sided games and have upwards of 35-40 children involved, and a few parents / coaches? At least there might be some affinity with the club then if they get to play on the big pitch under lights, and the bigger picture, they might become supporters in later years, at the moment they dont get that chance.

In most matches in pearse park small sided games take place at half time, and children are often involved which does not happen with us. No wonder there is little sense of commuinty if people are not involved

Why cant a few ball boys/girls be chosen for games, surely its much better than having players hop walls..

All im saying is that given the current times, it is foolish for us not to be trying possible avenues to make money, and active ways with the bigger picture of getting new supporters on board. Surely this is more desirable than selling tickets to people already at games and trying to watch the match.. Argue all ye want but these are the things that need to be looked at

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    like the other night, going around to people inside the ground watching the game asking them to buy some lotto tickets, people who have already paid into the match. it was no coincidence that it was also a pay week for the players that they resorted to this.

15. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Well why didnt they visit the biggest primary school in town, seems a bit odd i think!
    Could they have tried, and not been let?

There were some penalty shoot outs, but why werent they retained?! Would it not be much better having two small sided games and have upwards of 35-40 children involved, and a few parents / coaches? At least there might be some affinity with the club then if they get to play on the big pitch under lights, and the bigger picture, they might become supporters in later years, at the moment they dont get that chance.
    Presumably such things also require the support of "a few parents / coaches" or teachers.

I'm not involved, so I don't know, but the assumption seems to be that it's purely down to the clubs lack of effort. There are two sides to every initiative and they ultimately require support of other stakeholders (for want of a better word). If there's such a lack of interest amongst the general population, who are the adults that are going to bring the children to Mullologher to take part in penalties and half time matches?

As far as I'm aware, earlier in the season the club spent a lot of time giving out "special offer" fliers for families at a game earlier in the season (in schools I think, but definitely around the town). Can anyone clarify how many actually came through the gate, for all the effort put in?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    sorbo will know for sure but I believe there was less than ten of the fliers handed in and they were by people who go anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    sorbo will know for sure but I believe there was less than ten of the fliers handed in and they were by people who go anyway.
    yeah i can back up longfordians assersion as sorbo told me that too. It was a disgrace as a result of sorbo and another section o head Benson hard work around town..

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Maybe a bring a friend inicitive should be intoduced for 1 game next season were a supporter brings a friend with them to the game and the friend gets free admission or something like that. It would be hard to organise and run as people would be coming up and saying they are with this person and want free ad. But if it could be done right then you never know a few newcomers might catch the town bug and become regulars I know it's a long shot but the club really needs some better attendances and we need something to get the punters in but I'm sure there's better and easier run ideas than this out there.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    From what i remember we got 4 or 5 of them back. Not a great return on what was probably a combined 12-15 hours work at our own expense.

There's nothing wrong with suggestions as to what can help but i would refute the notion that things have not been tried or that there’s no willingness to take on board ideas from outside and try them again. As I’m sure anyone can see, resources are limited at the moment and you are basically relying on what amounts to volunteer’s time. If you think there’s something that should be tried why not come forward and offer your assistance in trying that?
    One thing I find funny is the notion that the committee are anything other than fans of the club too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Look i dont want to belittle peoples work, 2 or 3 posters sorbo, benson and many more on this site are putting in tremendous work on behalf of the club, week in week out and im not for one second implying otherwise.. All im saying is that we do need more supporters coming through the turnstiles and attending games.. No matter how many volunteers there is, it will always look much better is someone from the club be it player or manager, does their bit around the town on behalf of the club only then will more people sit up and take notice

Apologies if my point was taken up the wrong way

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Im not suggesting your belittleing work done but the offer remains, if you have an idea or a plan that you thing will help, why not come forward and offer your assistance and we can try and get it going..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    [QUOTE=Cabs88;1415367]Look i dont want to belittle peoples work, 2 or 3 posters sorbo, benson and many more on this site are putting in tremendous work on behalf of the club, week in week out and im not for one second implying otherwise.. All im saying is that we do need more supporters coming through the turnstiles and attending games.. No matter how many volunteers there is, it will always look much better is someone from the club be it player or manager, does their bit around the town on behalf of the club only then will more people sit up and take notice

The problem with players/managers coming to schools etc is that they all live away from longford and anyway most students would just go in to the talk to get out of class and they would give 2 hoots about whats going on there would have to be some type of incentive offered to them just my 2 cents on the matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast