Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Games 28/29 Feb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Its a bit like this old drunk guy (pot /kettle) that used to come over to me in the pub asking about Rovers.
    Used to drive me mad sometimes but now i kind of miss him..although i think he's dead as opposed to banned.

2. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    AH here mods come on let Marino Bohs speak

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingswood Rover View Post
    AH here mods come on let Marino Bohs speak
    Too many infractions in my opinion even though its not my decision to ban anyone.

To be fair though - moderation is light enough touch in here - as 6 odd pages of mindless bickering on this thread will attest to. You really have to go out of your way to break the rules.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I've yet to see a sports forum that doesnt have its special moments! But then I am possibly one of the offenders. The only thing that grinds my gears is when a post/poster is derided for typos, spelling and the such. I dont think anyone is that bad here irrespective of the leniency - some winding up and some that rise to it which is par for the course on most fora. Free the Marino 1 I say!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    The goalmouth at the shed end was like a throwback to the 80s - not in the least bit playable - I'm just glad Bossin's injury was not serious in the end because serious questions would have been asked if he was.
    Is Turners Cross getting much use by the MFA currently or is it just the weather being that bad so even City games giving it a battering. Do CCFC have to do any of the remedial work if the pitch is cutting up. With the weather in mind the Tallaght pitch was top notch on Friday. The drainage work done a couple of years ago has done its job when ye think back to the flood that the Dundalk v Sligo Setanta Cup final was played in 6 years ago. Havent heard too much about the Finn Park pitch considering its poor rep - this spell of dry and mild weather will suit us on Friday if it keeps up though Ollie might have it narrowed, watered heavily and have a tractor rally around it by Friday night.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Is Turners Cross getting much use by the MFA currently or is it just the weather being that bad so even City games giving it a battering. Do CCFC have to do any of the remedial work if the pitch is cutting up. With the weather in mind the Tallaght pitch was top notch on Friday. The drainage work done a couple of years ago has done its job when ye think back to the flood that the Dundalk v Sligo Setanta Cup final was played in 6 years ago. Havent heard too much about the Finn Park pitch considering its poor rep - this spell of dry and mild weather will suit us on Friday if it keeps up though Ollie might have it narrowed, watered heavily and have a tractor rally around it by Friday night.

Not that I know of really - April / May / June is when all the local finals are played

There was torrential rain for 2 hours running up to the game and for most of the first half - pitch was always going to cut up in those circumstances. It was as bad a night as I've ever watched a game in.
    Last edited by Real ale Madrid; 05/03/2020 at 10:59 AM.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I've yet to see a sports forum that doesnt have its special moments! But then I am possibly one of the offenders. The only thing that grinds my gears is when a post/poster is derided for typos, spelling and the such. I dont think anyone is that bad here irrespective of the leniency - some winding up and some that rise to it which is par for the course on most fora. Free the Marino 1 I say!!
    I don't mind the bit of back and forth and the wind ups but when it's as constant as MB used to be, reiterating the same lines over and over again is when I tend to stop myself and ask why I am even bothering and I usually take a few days away from the forum, maybe that says more about me than him but if he's actively driving people away from the forum I think it's more detrimental to the forum than a decrease in posts. I wouldn't be arsed protesting against his reinstatement, I'd probably just stick him on the ignore list.
    Mon the Town!

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Your probably right Arfella , absence makes the heart grow fonder but when people come back you remember why you were glad they went away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArFella View Post
    I don't mind the bit of back and forth and the wind ups but when it's as constant as MB used to be, reiterating the same lines over and over again is when I tend to stop myself and ask why I am even bothering and I usually take a few days away from the forum, maybe that says more about me than him but if he's actively driving people away from the forum I think it's more detrimental to the forum than a decrease in posts. I wouldn't be arsed protesting against his reinstatement, I'd probably just stick him on the ignore list.
    Well I'd not be turning up with a can of watered down petrol and threaten dahamsta's christmas tree in protest either way myself! Maybe sbgawa has it right but I did get some entertainment from seeing how far he'd resort to name calling, swearing and questioning the general literacy levels/education of contributors! He could well be lurking behind a new pseudonym dying to get stuck in - we shall see if Bohs manage to turn Shams over this season!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Speaking of bitchfests , where are all the bohs supporters gone
    If you want a Bohs whinge, we were robbed in the Derry game with the disallowed goal, and if it had gone in we'd unlikely to have been caught on the break for their second one!

With the Rovers match, Rob(bery) Hennessy did everything in his power to give you the game (possible why Bradley has called him 'the best ref in the league') and the first yellow card of the sending off was utterly ridiculous!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohs11 View Post
    With the Rovers match, Rob(bery) Hennessy did everything in his power to give you the game (possible why Bradley has called him 'the best ref in the league') and the first yellow card of the sending off was utterly ridiculous!
    Interestingly, for the conspiracy theorists, since Bradley called Hennessy the best ref in the league, Hennessy has reffed all the Bohs Rovers games and these have all been won by Rovers and he also reffed our game last week and was quite liberal with the cards for Dundalk and didn’t book any Rovers players. I’m not saying this unduly influenced the results but it’s just an interesting aside.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Interestingly, for the conspiracy theorists, since Bradley called Hennessy the best ref in the league, Hennessy has reffed all the Bohs Rovers games and these have all been won by Rovers and he also reffed our game last week and was quite liberal with the cards for Dundalk and didn’t book any Rovers players. I’m not saying this unduly influenced the results but it’s just an interesting aside.
    As they say, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Can someone please refresh my memory, or direct me to the rule book, but does 5 cards and over in one match cause an extra club fine?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufil View Post
    Can someone please refresh my memory, or direct me to the rule book, but does 5 cards and over in one match cause an extra club fine?
    A fine and "warned as to your future conduct", IIRC.
    Have you ever won the treble?

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    A fine and "warned as to your future conduct", IIRC.
    Whats IIRC Brendy Eire?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Whats IIRC Brendy Eire?
    https://www.google.com/search?q=iirc

22. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    The Dundalk yellows were all fair enough, no? And Rovers got a couple too. In general, I don't think refs in this league worry too much about what managers think of them. Buttimer being the archetype, who seems to revel in people not liking him.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    The Dundalk yellows were all fair enough, no? And Rovers got a couple too. In general, I don't think refs in this league worry too much about what managers think of them. Buttimer being the archetype, who seems to revel in people not liking him.
    I agree that it is unlikely that refs are particularly bothered about winning popularity contests, although many clearly enjoy being the centre of attention. I also doubt very much if there is any overt bias for or against any particular team, but there certainly is bad referring and refs that allow themselves to be unduly influenced by the crowd or by the players.

On your suggestion that all the yellows being fair, Patrick Hoban was very harshly carded - it was highly questionable if it was even a foul. On the other hand Hennessy either ignored or did not see a Rovers player (Aaron Greene) time wasting by kicking the ball away after a free kick was awarded to Dundalk late in the game. Neither of these directly effected the match result but are simple illustrations of the very poor refereeing standards

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    That was Jack Byrne that kicked the ball away but id say he got away with it because the Dundalk player had moved the free kick forward and he was kicking it back.
    Anyway its Jack Byrne , you cant be booking Jack Byrne

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    That was Jack Byrne that kicked the ball away but id say he got away with it because the Dundalk player had moved the free kick forward and he was kicking it back.
    Anyway its Jack Byrne , you cant be booking Jack Byrne
    Dundalk fans here have never been known to let the facts get in the way of a good story, Ez especially.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast