Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Georgia - Tuesday, 26th March 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Ah come on. Don't let a tired narrative get in the way of what was clear to everyone at the game. Whelan was class. His positioning precise and use of ball intelligent and/or prudent.
    The fella beside me was having a conniption every time Whelan got the ball; twas gas. Actually coloured my view of things as well cos all I could see was when he lost possession and nothing else...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    The fella beside me was having a conniption every time Whelan got the ball; twas gas. Actually coloured my view of things as well cos all I could see was when he lost possession and nothing else...
    That is an excellent word PS. I had to look it up but I'll be using it myself in future.

3. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Ah come on. Don't let a tired narrative get in the way of what was clear to everyone at the game. Whelan was class. His positioning precise and use of ball intelligent and/or prudent.
    I have already said he was class and have only positive comments to make about last night. But that does not disguise that we were allowed to have the ball in the 1st half on many occasions because the Georgians voluntarily fell back, dropped deeper and did not press us in our half.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I have already said he was class and have only positive comments to make about last night. But that does not disguise that we were allowed to have the ball in the 1st half on many occasions because the Georgians voluntarily fell back, dropped deeper and did not press us in our half.
    Sounds like what a lot of average sides would have said about Ireland over the last few years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    yep, I think Whelan is a bang average player at best, but he was in fairness very very good yesterday
    Whelan was exceptional. My main concern is if he can put in that kind of exertion twice within a tight international window. Hoping James McCarthy can get playing again and either play alongside Whelan or replace him in the sitting role as this campaign progresses. Fair play to Mick for resting Glenn against Gibraltar and for having the foresight to call him out of retirement to start with.

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    If you're looking at players who MMcC will believe are mainstays of the team after this series, I'd say it's Randolph, Coleman, Duffy, Keogh, Stevens, Whelan, Hendrick, Hourihane and McGoldrick. There are two places up for grabs. Certain calls are going to have to be made on some of the squad options. But what's good is that if you're one of the young players, you're surely looking at the squad and thinking "I've a chance to get in there". I genuinely feel sorry for Matt Doherty. I can't put it any other way. He's not going to dislodge Coleman, who was improved last night from the Gibraltar game, but is a pale shadow of his former self. I think Doherty at right-back - in current form- gives better attacking threat than Seamus.

Finally the protest. I assume it was the 33rd minute for the 33rd team at the world cup comment.
    Mick could actually have a selection headache come June with Stevens, Hourihane, McGoldrick and Whelan grabbing their chance to put themselves in the frame. I don't think they're undroppable, though, when you consider that this is the list of players who weren't available this time, who could be available by then: Clark, McCarthy, O'Dowda, Browne, Long, Obafemi, Robinson and Crowley; plus you have Arter and a resurgent McGeady in the wings; plus there may be a couple of breakthroughs by younger lads before the September qualifiers. You know what? I think we have a shot

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    A lot of the players you name there would fit well into the formation the other night. I actually would fancy Long on the right of a 3 front line. O'Dowda could fit in on either flank. Robinson is an option for both flanks. The Hendrick and Hourihane position is tailor-made for Alan Browne. Crowley would surely be suited there. Whelan and McCarthy competing for the base of the midfield. Obafemi on for McGoldrick to run the opposition ragged at the end!

Ronan and Idah to push into the frame?

Stevens, McGoldrick and Egan to be in the PL?

It looks as though Mick was very unlucky with his first squad. Hopefully he isn't quite as unlucky with his next.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Mick could actually have a selection headache come June with Stevens, Hourihane, McGoldrick and Whelan grabbing their chance to put themselves in the frame. I don't think they're undroppable,
    Mick came out yesterday and said that the two full-backs are his men. Doherty isn't going to be left-back, when Mick catagorically states he's not picking him due to not having a wing-back style position for him.
    He also said that he wouldn't call Whelan up to a squad if he wasn't going to pick him. That's as clear as it could be. I wouldn't have all of those named above as definite's either.

For me, and my history of posting here is consistent on the subject of Glenn Whelan, but if Whelan is ever-present, I'd name him captain.

though, when you consider that this is the list of players who weren't available this time, who could be available by then: Clark, McCarthy, O'Dowda, Browne, Long, Obafemi, Robinson and Crowley; plus you have Arter and a resurgent McGeady in the wings; plus there may be a couple of breakthroughs by younger lads before the September qualifiers. You know what? I think we have a shot
    I agree with the ones in bold above. Again I'm probably McGeady's biggest fan here, but his time is past. If he's not going to be selected for the easiest double-header of the campaign, he's not going to be selected at all. McCarthy isn't going to play with traditional wingers/wide-men, otherwise there would have been a case for Daryl Horgan to be in as our only out and out wing option.

I'm not sure what lads will breakthrough this summer, I suspect we'll be looking at some bolters ahead of Euro2020 if we get there, or a complete overhaul of the squad if we don't.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

13. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    yep, I think Whelan is a bang average player at best, but he was in fairness very very good yesterday
    "Bang average at best". Almost 300 games in "the best league in the world", he gets transferred and his former team is relegated and 85 international caps for his country. Strange how soon people just do not see what Whelan contributes. He's no Liam Brady or Roy Keane but he is a very good player nonetheless.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    "Bang average at best". Almost 300 games in "the best league in the world", he gets transferred and his former team is relegated and 85 international caps for his country. Strange how soon people just do not see what Whelan contributes. He's no Liam Brady or Roy Keane but he is a very good player nonetheless.
    easy target and there's always one with the fans. kilbane was another but incredibly got 110 caps for his county....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Courtin' and the Hourihane - Blog on Georgia game finally finished for these interested in a read about the match and the protest.

https://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.com/2...hourihane.html
    Irish Football Blog - A False First XI - http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/

Twitter: @afalsefirstxi

To Follow on Facebook go to:https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    easy target and there's always one with the fans. kilbane was another but incredibly got 110 caps for his county....
    Kilbane was a great player for Ireland, but unfortunately his performances tailed off and he played on reputation two or three years too long. Not his fault, but most fans would have fond memories of his sorties down the left wing. Whelan on the other hand is not in the same category as Kilbane. He was never remotely as effective a player and registered meaningless contributions in a green shirt year in and year out. Having said that I'm very happy that he played well the other night (didn't see the game but according to all reports he did very well). Good for him and he also seems to be doing quite well for Villa. Fair play to him - credit where credit is due.

However are we all of a sudden fully confident that Glen is our midfield dynamo for the campaign ahead? Is he capable of maintaining possession for Ireland and leading his troops to the highest heights against the Swiss and Danes?

I have little or no hope that that will happen. In truth there is no one in the current squad capable of running the Irish midfield the way Eriksen will for Denmark. But we know what Glen Whelan brings to the table and all of a sudden he has found a string to his bow that he hasn't had to this point in his career?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Kilbane was a great player for Ireland, but unfortunately his performances tailed off and he played on reputation two or three years too long. Not his fault, but most fans would have fond memories of his sorties down the left wing.
    I thought he did a decent job at LB for us
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Whelan at best, is very good. The greater time, average.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    I thought he did a decent job at LB for us
    Don't recall a whole lot about that, but I do remember some very good contributions from him throughout his career.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Don't recall a whole lot about that, but I do remember some very good contributions from him throughout his career.
    Kilbane put in a good shift at left back at the end of his career and also did a decent job in centre mid alongside Keane under Kerr. He was excellent in there against France in 2005. He could be frustrating at times (that miss from the rebound of Harte's penalty in Suwon against Spain still haunts me) but his contributions were generally positive.

Whelan was asked to do a very restrictive job by two inherently conservative managers which left little scope for him to shine. Being the dedicated pro he is, he did said role effectively and with the minimum of fuss.

Given extra freedom he was a popular Premier league player with Stoke fans for a decade under numerous managers and is now earning plaudits at Villa. His performance last Tuesday was more reflective of that form.

That indicates to me that the reasons he was awful to watch for Ireland for so long were down to the management rather than the player.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    what Whelan has contributed over the years was clearly illustrated away against scotland in 2014 (?) when he was injured and our ctre midfield area was over run by the scots

25. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    what Whelan has contributed over the years was clearly illustrated away against scotland in 2014 (?) when he was injured and our ctre midfield area was over run by the scots

I'm not a fan of Whelan and my heart sank when I saw he had been selected, but to be fair that was one of his best performances in a green shirt. He is clearly much more effective and a lot less frustrating when he has movement and energy around him, and Hendrick and Hourihane provided that in a way I didn't anticipate. It was a good shout by Mick given the resources he had available, but not a long term solution foor our midfield.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    He played well the other night which was great. We beat Germany and Italy without him and he only played 20 mins when we beat Austria . We also played much better and came back to get a draw when he went off after 50 minutes against the germans .he also didn't play in the euros when we lost 2.1 against France but played excellently

28. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    He played well the other night which was great. We beat Germany and Italy without him and he only played 20 mins when we beat Austria . We also played much better and came back to get a draw when he went off after 50 minutes against the germans .he also didn't play in the euros when we lost 2.1 against France but played excellently
    It was 0-0 when he went off against the Germans.

30. Thanks From:

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast