Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Limerick To Be Liquidated

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GUFCghost View Post
    The common factor in LOI clubs that go bust seems to be private ownership/ reliance on a particular benefactor. Community ownership doesn't pave over the many, many problems involved in running a LOI club, but it does seem to result in clubs that are a lot more sustainable.
    I'm open to correction on this, can anyone name an example of a supporter owned club completely collapsing?
    Another few weeks without a private investor DFC Co-op would have. But technically the answer is no. A hybrid type model is what is really needed imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GUFCghost View Post
    The common factor in LOI clubs that go bust seems to be private ownership/ reliance on a particular benefactor. Community ownership doesn't pave over the many, many problems involved in running a LOI club, but it does seem to result in clubs that are a lot more sustainable.
    I'm open to correction on this, can anyone name an example of a supporter owned club completely collapsing?
    Obviously not having all your eggs in one basket (sugar daddy) make it a little less likely to go bang quickly, but there tend to be more pressure on supporter directors as they are usually closer to the fans and this can sometimes lead to overspending 'chasing the dream', often at the expense of good business practice. it also makes it more difficult to raise large cash injections which may be required if a club wants to compete.
    Bottom line is its about budgeting realistically and spending what you can afford, irrespective of the model of ownership.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Just the once eh ? With counting like that it's no wonder Limerick is in trouble.

You "joke" I get "knickers in twist" because I respond in kind. Right, sure that makes complete sense 🙄

Anyway, Cork, Bohs, Shams fans didn't have the money or expertise either, until they had to. Maybe a fans owned/run model might be more sustainable in Limerick ? Got to be better than sitting around slagging the previous owner (who at least put his own money in).
    Do you have a problem understanding the word 'FIRST" (coming before all others in time or order; earliest; 1st.). I was slowly and simply trying to explain the lead up to the 'first" shot that was by yourself. I really hope you understand it now it's really basic stuff

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Honestly blueblood - the ignore list is your best bet. You will never ever get the last word with marino, and usually things go off on a tangent. It's like an illness or something.

(As an example, watch what reply this gets...)

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Honestly blueblood - the ignore list is your best bet. You will never ever get the last word with marino, and usually things go off on a tangent. It's like an illness or something.

Yawn still thinks he is a moderator.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueblood View Post
    Do you have a problem understanding the word 'FIRST" (coming before all others in time or order; earliest; 1st.). I was slowly and simply trying to explain the lead up to the 'first" shot that was by yourself. I really hope you understand it now it's really basic stuff
    You took a pop at Bohs I took a pop at Limerick, get over it, just don't pretend there is any difference between the two. Still, posting on a football forum definitely better than trying to help your club in its current difficulties

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Noted. Thanks 😁

9. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    You're welcome

As an aside, best of luck getting the club back on its feet, however it happens

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    You're welcome

As an aside, best of luck getting the club back on its feet, however it happens
    Thanks, it'll be really weird not having a game to go to on a Friday night, it's been a mad roller coaster the last 30+ years supporting Limerick but even tho the last few seasons have been fairly miserable at times I'll miss it, it's just a way of life for myself and others 😞.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    There but for the grace of god and all that. It'd be horrible not to be able to go see the local club on Friday nights etc. While Marino was less than diplomatic there was some validity in what he was saying about having a proactive supporters group - is there a group or plans for one going forward?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    There but for the grace of god and all that. It'd be horrible not to be able to go see the local club on Friday nights etc. While Marino was less than diplomatic there was some validity in what he was saying about having a proactive supporters group - is there a group or plans for one going forward?
    There was a trust set up by one of the supporters groups recently but not meeting until the new year I think. Don't know how much success they'll have, a lot of people have a problem with the lads who set it up (I don't) the same way people had a problem with the previous trust , maybe if everyone put aside their differences and by some small miracle actually worked together for the good of the club there's a slim chance of success but I recon on a small scale but then hopefully grow from there over time. Some passionate people are involved in this latest trust but I don't know if they'll get the numbers but you never know

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Blue blood, if the LOI has taught us anything it's that it's only the supporters who ultimately keep their team alive. To rely on any outside assistance, whether that is the useless FAIlures, government grants, foreign investment,local sugar daddy's, is just folly. Your fans (collectively) will be the ones to resuscitate the team . There is no shortage of LOI people with advice on how to get that off the ground.
    Best of luck to ye.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueblood View Post
    There was a trust set up by one of the supporters groups recently but not meeting until the new year I think. Don't know how much success they'll have, a lot of people have a problem with the lads who set it up (I don't) the same way people had a problem with the previous trust , maybe if everyone put aside their differences and by some small miracle actually worked together for the good of the club there's a slim chance of success but I recon on a small scale but then hopefully grow from there over time. Some passionate people are involved in this latest trust but I don't know if they'll get the numbers but you never know
    Would be worth their while talking to FORAS, Shams, Bohs on how the fans owned option works for them, far from perfect but, as has been said, probably a more sustainable model.Progress/success may be slower but if you get a core of decent people committed to the club that will gradually increase.
    There is lot of great work done out there (Sligo have done wonders in raising community awareness and money !). Slagging aside, most fans want to see teams in Limerick, Waterford etc and there would be no shortage of advice/assistance available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    How much does it cost to be a member at Bohs or other clubs? Can anyone become a member and aside from admission to games what else does it get you? Relying on one man like Pat O'Sullivan or Lee Power to keep investing is risky.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trevy View Post
    How much does it cost to be a member at Bohs or other clubs? Can anyone become a member and aside from admission to games what else does it get you? Relying on one man like Pat O'Sullivan or Lee Power to keep investing is risky.
    €365 per year in Bohs. It gets you as much involvement in participating in the running of the club as you have time and inclination and the skill set to do so. I personally don`t get too involved because of work commitments, but if I have something to say, good and bad, I know that I can get to a decision maker with an e mail or phone call, and I will be listened to. Being part of the collective pride in the successes and collective embarassment in the failures, and being in a position to influence both, is what makes the fans owned model so compelling.

Reliance on a wealthy benefactor is attractive, but they move on eventually when a better business proposition comes along.For what its worth, the Rovers model of a bit of both is definitely sustainable as long as the benefactor contribution is not relied upon for day the day to day running of the club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trevy View Post
    Annual membership subscription for Bohs is 365 euro (as opposed to season ticket 250).Apart from admittance to games, you are part owner of club and get to go to EGMs etc (often worth the money itself - and not always in a good way) discount in club shop, and on craft beers . There are reduced membership rates for students, O.A.P.s families etc.
    Membership is open to anyone to apply although there are some rules around those blessed to be accepted (the rules date back and are rarely applied) basically we will take anyone's money !

It does give good basis for budgeting in that it is almost guaranteed income over season rather than the hit and miss of crowd fluctuations and also 'commits' people who often become addicted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    €600 @ rovers including season ticket (€180) you get priority access to tickets and get to go to agms and egms and vote on major club issues, as well as elect board members.
    It's a lot of money but as was said above k owing you are a part owner makes the wins all the sweeter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    €200 per year at Wexford which includes usual voting, attendance and club ownership rights (excluding the ground of course). Season ticket is extra.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Blue blood, if the LOI has taught us anything it's that it's only the supporters who ultimately keep their team alive. To rely on any outside assistance, whether that is the useless FAIlures, government grants, foreign investment,local sugar daddy's, is just folly. Your fans (collectively) will be the ones to resuscitate the team . There is no shortage of LOI people with advice on how to get that off the ground.
    Best of luck to ye.
    Totally agree with you, we've had our fair share of mad owners and we've always had troubles, always.
    I believe in living within your means, take as long as it takes rather than rely on an owner's money but if an investor or consortium or whatever comes along (rumor has it there's been plenty of attempted takeovers) they'll be favourites to take over, how can a fan owned club compete with that? I think they'll give the license to whoever has more money unfortunately! If there's no interest then hopefully a fan owned model happens

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    There's big differences in how much membership costs at the different clubs, I recon Limerick would hope for 150/200 members.
    The Bohs model seems pretty decent I think, fair play to shamrock rovers if they can get e600 but would scare too many Limerick people away, how much do cork charge?

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast