Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shamrock Rovers 2020 League Champions*****

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Ah here! Rovers are legit winners of what ended up as the 2020 league, but the league that commenced last spring is not what it should have been. There should be a note in the history books of this. Not a slight on the champions as it was still a level playing field of sorts. Cork will be the ones calling for asterick/asterix/ or whatever as over 36 games they wouldnt be relegated with game to go. If there had been 2 more games v Bohs and Dundalk the league wouldnt have been a forgone conclusion by July. Enjoy it Rovers fans, no doubts you will, but a wounded animal bites back! 'Astericks' are a badge on hounour in LoI - ask Pats, Shels and how many other fans!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    . Not a slight on the champions as it was still a level playing field of sorts.!
    It was not a level playing field “of sorts”. It was a level playing field. Each team play each other home and a way it could not be more of a level playing field.

No note in the history books required. Congrats Rovers some side and hard to see them not retaining it next season.

3. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    The only asterisk needed is to note that Rovers would have won the league by a far wider margin over the course of 36 games.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    It was not a level playing field “of sorts”. It was a level playing field. Each team play each other home and a way it could not be more of a level playing field.

No note in the history books required. Congrats Rovers some side and hard to see them not retaining it next season.
    I dont think it was though as all clubs had to adjust, some paying players and other not. I wasnt suggesting that it wasnt a level playing field for just Dundalk. Ifs and buts, Cork getting rid of Fenn with half a full season to play Healy might have managed to change things by just enough to climb off the bottom of the table. Sligo got the opportunity to both strenghen and work on the problem that had them sitting bottom. I wasnt playing down the achievement of winng the title, just that it was all unprecedented and should be noted as such. Rovers may very well have grown the gap, with other clubs inconsistancy it may have been probable. I think its a shame that there is any ? over this season - be it a slagging point, winding up, or people really thinking it. Gauging how much team performances are affected by crowds is hard but would be interesting.

If I may add, when the league commenced initially teams were playing under a different set of circumstances eg losing away to Rovers wasnt a major setback due their being a few more opportunities to make up for it. By August or so a 9 point gap was game over, if there had been a full season of games 9 points could be reeled in. It was a level playing field in that everyone was impacted upon but not level when some games happened under a 36 game format and some with 18 games.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 26/10/2020 at 11:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I get your macro point it is a different year and undoubtedly the changes to the league made it so but it was different in exactly the same way for everyone.
    Dundalk were 3 points behind with 13 games left when the league restarted they only have themselves to blame.
    Equally Cork have themselves to blame alone. , sligo were bottom with zero points at the restart and have an outside chance of a euro spot... that could have been Cork. Teams perform or don't perform in that respect i think it is no different to any other year.

IMO the big winners were Shels , they are a poor team and with a longer season Harps may have passed them, other than that i don't see anything different over 36 games.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    I dont think it was though as all clubs had to adjust
    Your very first sentence in this post is in itself contradictory.
    Last edited by DCWA; 26/10/2020 at 12:23 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Ah here! Rovers are legit winners of what ended up as the 2020 league, but the league that commenced last spring is not what it should have been. There should be a note in the history books of this. Not a slight on the champions as it was still a level playing field of sorts. Cork will be the ones calling for asterick/asterix/ or whatever as over 36 games they wouldnt be relegated with game to go. If there had been 2 more games v Bohs and Dundalk the league wouldnt have been a forgone conclusion by July. Enjoy it Rovers fans, no doubts you will, but a wounded animal bites back! 'Astericks' are a badge on hounour in LoI - ask Pats, Shels and how many other fans!!
    I don't know how you can claim a longer season would have saved Cork. It wouldn't have. It would have just made their demise even more painful. They've been consistently terrible.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    The ultras have a 2020* tee shirt on the way, listening to this stuff just makes it all the sweeter.<br>
    It is a pity that we couldnt play 36 games this season but other than for the deluded it didnt make any difference.<br>
    Priority now is to agree a restart date and format to allow people plan.

I do think Harps are good enough to beat any of the first division teams, possibly Galway might give them a game with the momentum they have
    Galway are the one I would like to avoid most...UCD also. Worried Mahdy would cause us bother

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Galway were destined to finish bottom of the 1st Division before Caulfield took over. I've had my misgivings over his 1990 era Mick McCarthy style of play with Cork before, but whatever he's done at Galway is remarkable. Outside chance of the playoffs. If they make it, it will be an incredible achievement. Would be a tricky opponent for Harps allright.
    Edit: Since this is actually the Congratulatory SRFC Thread, I too want to praise them for being the stand-out team this year by far. Any notion of this campaign being a "half legaue" and thus half an achievement is nonsense.
    Last edited by CorribsideSteve; 26/10/2020 at 4:50 PM.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    Galway were destined to finish bottom of the 1st Division before Caulfield took over. I've had my misgivings over his 1990 era Mick McCarthy style of play with Cork before, but whatever he's done at Galway is rrmarkable. Outside chance of the playoffs. If they make it, it will be an incredible achievement. Would be a tricky opponent for Harps allright.
    I dont know if you were at our game in Longford Corribside but I was very impressed with job JC and LK has done with ye. We deserved nothing from that game whatsever!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Congratulations to Shamrock Rovers easily the best team this season they would have strolled to the title over 36 games. Maybe play next season 54 games, the usual 36 + 18 from this season just so some begrudgers will stop complaining 😁

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Your very first sentence in this post is in itself contradictory.
    All clubs had to adjust to different challanges, but dont hammer me on semantics. The impact of covid effected the likes of Cork with gate receipts their major income, Sligo wanted the league abandoned, Dundalk wanted 36 games etc etc. Again this is no slight on Rovers being champions. In February clubs set out their stall, some may have just wanted to keep in touch and use a July transfer window to strengthen and kick on. Those plans went out the window. Ive also said that if it were Dundalk top when the league was reduced I wouldnt have cared a dot (or asterick). The change to the league format created a lot of very different problems for clubs so in that regard imo I wasnt a level playing field. Maybe it never is with clubs having differing resources in general. All I am really saying is that it must be noted that 2020 is a 'unique' year. Not that the champions dont deserve to be champions. With the topsy turvy nature of results, with more games Cork could have gotten off the bottom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    All clubs had to adjust to different challanges, but dont hammer me on semantics. The impact of covid effected the likes of Cork with gate receipts their major income, Sligo wanted the league abandoned, Dundalk wanted 36 games etc etc. Again this is no slight on Rovers being champions. In February clubs set out their stall, some may have just wanted to keep in touch and use a July transfer window to strengthen and kick on. Those plans went out the window. Ive also said that if it were Dundalk top when the league was reduced I wouldnt have cared a dot (or asterick). The change to the league format created a lot of very different problems for clubs so in that regard imo I wasnt a level playing field. Maybe it never is with clubs having differing resources in general. All I am really saying is that it must be noted that 2020 is a 'unique' year. Not that the champions dont deserve to be champions. With the topsy turvy nature of results, with more games Cork could have gotten off the bottom.
    Aside from delivering an overview that tells us nothing new i.e no season is a level playing field as you note above ... do you have some other relevant point ? Otherwise I’m genuinely not getting what you’re trying to say ?
    Last edited by Calcio Jack; 26/10/2020 at 7:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I dont know if you were at our game in Longford Corribside but I was very impressed with job JC and LK has done with ye. We deserved nothing from that game whatsever!
    No, but I'll be watching them, hopefully live, a lot closer in the future. The last few monnths prior to his appointment were rock bottom. If they fall short this year, and he sticks around, they're in with a shout of going up next season.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Derry v Rovers being postponed on Wednesday night..so..even if Bohs had won against Harps they'd still be a default league winner.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Derry v Rovers being postponed on Wednesday night..so..even if Bohs had won against Harps they'd still be a default league winner.
    Does this mean they get 2 asterisks? One for it being a half season and one for not completing the same number of games as everyone else

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    We get two * and 1 league win
    Derry must have a lot of contacts as well , they would hardly postpone the game for missing one player

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    The FAI have said they are awaiting further info from Derry. I wonder if they failed or can't play would they be not allowed play Sunday in FAI Cup and foefit that game too

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    The FAI have said they are awaiting further info from Derry. I wonder if they failed or can't play would they be not allowed play Sunday in FAI Cup and foefit that game too
    Only fair solution there would be to let the last club to beat Derry in an FAI cup final to take their place in the cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I get your macro point it is a different year and undoubtedly the changes to the league made it so but it was different in exactly the same way for everyone.
    Dundalk were 3 points behind with 13 games left when the league restarted they only have themselves to blame.
    Equally Cork have themselves to blame alone. , sligo were bottom with zero points at the restart and have an outside chance of a euro spot... that could have been Cork. Teams perform or don't perform in that respect i think it is no different to any other year.

IMO the big winners were Shels , they are a poor team and with a longer season Harps may have passed them, other than that i don't see anything different over 36 games.
    Harps could still catch Shels I think. Ollie obviously disagrees and is talking about how tough the playoff will be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast