Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: External data storage

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

External data storage

What are people using for backing up data these days. We used back up tapes up to last year. It appears that no one is taking backup data off site at the moment. Is there web based data storage, or is this too slow? We need to back up about 150gb once a week

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Don't know if this is of any use to you. I met the owner of this company in the last year. His previous track record in business was pretty good ( in terms of customer service etc.).

The major drawback for me was that he is a passionate Manchester United supporter & there was no way I was making a contribution to the prawn sandwiches.
    Less Whining
    Less Moaning

What are YOU doing to make it better?

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Personally I would probaly use a pile of either external or internal hard drives,
    you can get 500GB for about £80. It's more expensive then DVD's say but then
    it is much more reliable I would say, and if you add in the cost of paying someone to manually burn 100 DVD's that is going to take a while, a whole
    day?? And then you have to store 100 DVD's which is a huge pile if you
    put them in individual cases which would probably be the safest way.

I imagine it is gonna cost a lot to send 150 gig over then net. You should see what some ISP's are charging for about 3 gig a month!! Of course they have
    to be stored on disk after that.

I used to burn to CD's but it was a pain in the ass in many ways so I just bought
    a 250 gig hard drive for £50, I think my days of farting around with a stack of
    CD's or DVD's are over, nothing but problems is what I remember.

Just get a big harddrive, stick it in your computer and copy the folder or whatever across - job done.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    its slightly different though tricky for companies. tapes weren't just a case of backing up your favourite folder...
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    its slightly different though tricky for companies. tapes weren't just a case of backing up your favourite folder...
    I don't see how it is different for companies, the only difference is that they may have more data to back up. If they put all the stuff they need to back up into their favourite folder then it is just a case of backing up their favourite. It is as simple as that, just conect the drive and copy the folder across.
    And it is even better for companies because it is the fastest possible way to restore the data. You are going to need a very fast connection to restore 150 gig in less than 5 minutes!!
    For example I have a 2 megabit/s connection so in a hour I can download 60X60X2/8 mbytes=0.9 gigabytes in an hour. Call that 1 gig then it would take me 150 hours!! That's 6 days!! (And then you find it's the wrong folder ).
    So even on 20 megabits it would take 12 hours. OK you could do it in 1.2hours on 200megabits/s. To do it in 5 minutes would need over 2 gigabits persecond, which is going to be 'pricey' even if you actually could get it!!

For the reasons I have given I would go for hard drives when you take everything into consideration it seems the best option.
    Hard drives also have a resale value, so the cost for say one year would not be a fortune. I could sell my 250 gig drive for about what I paid for it over a year ago, about £50. The values of 30 used DVD's would be aproximately £0.00. Over a year you will have 1500!! Much better to have 50 hard drives worth £2500.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Joe Lapira o:
    "No regrets, none at all. My only regret is that we went out on penalties. That's my only regret. But no, no regrets." -Mick McCarthy