Page 36 of 78 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Caoimhín Kelleher GK Liverpool b.1998

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Clearly there on merit and you have a point about development. Has also no doubt benefitted from training with Allison and good coaches. I’d like to see Kenny rotate the goalies in the NL and friendlies, so they both or all get experience. My Liverpool affiliations may make me biased, and I do recognise Bazunu’s ability and potential, but Kelleher radiates calm and assurance. Two LFC fans I know suggested that he actually looks more secure than Allison, and that spreads to the rest of the defence. He won’t displace him because of the money Liverpool paid for Allison, and that’s his biggest problem. He knows he’ll have to move on at some point, but at the minute he’s not doing his reputation any harm and that will help him get a move to a higher level. At this moment in time, I would suggest that a promoted PL club or even mid table club, would take a chance on Kelleher rather than Bazunu irrespective of how many games the latter has played in League 1 and for us.
    All fair though I'd say he will displace Alisson if Klopp thinks he's a better keeper. They could easily get back half of what they spent on Alisson at his age and keep Kelleher on a lower wage for a few years instead of selling him to free up funds.

I agree with your last point. He's 23 and has shown he can handle EPL games so I'd be surprised if there haven't been a few approaches whereas I think Bazunu's next logical step is the Championship...possibly with Newcastle!

The development piece is genuinely interesting. Maybe he is just 4 years behind Bazunu even though he is 4 years older. So we could say they are both 19 in terms of GK age. In that case being #2 at Liverpool is great going BUT we are still left questioning whether he is ready for a full senior season AND he is still left without the body of work he could have had which might have secured the #1 jersey for Ireland. So if he was 19 in the same position I'd probably still think he should go on loan somewhere. You'd also have to then say that in reality Bazunu has a full 4 years of development on Kelleher and might be far better by the time the next WC rolls around and he is Kelleher's age now by which time Kelleher may still be warming the bench at 27....I'd guess not though.

Will be gas when Travers is GK of the year in the EPL next season and Bazunu and Kelleher are in the Championship or on the bench somewhere. We can all reflect back on time well and truly wasted on this thread at that point.

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    All fair though I'd say he will displace Alisson if Klopp thinks he's a better keeper.
    A really good, considered post OTOH but this opening line seems to be stating the obvious. I mean you and I displace Salah and VVD if Klopp thought we were better players too. And given the ease with which Klopp leaves Kelleher on the bench for dead rubber CL games and in League Cup semis to keep Allison match fit I don't think Kelleher is anywhere close to the number one shirt in Klopp's eyes. Of course he says nice things when he's asked in public but that's management 101. Kelleher has definitely earned his spot as Liverpool number 2 at the moment and in the Ireland squad and that's solid progress on 18 months ago. Where it leads to from here is still to be speculated upon. He could be the next Stuart Taylor or the next Allison.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86
    Bazunu has high level distribution. I like Kelleher and his distribution is high level too — but he’s also botched it by trying to be too cute. Both keepers are high level in many ways but have growing pains. I tend to give Bazunu the edge as he’s younger, getting way more first time minutes, and I think there’s more room to grow.
    I'm sure Ipswich will agree on how high his distribution is - to them. That's not "an inability to perceive reality", that is an indisputable fact. That's what our No. 1 is capable of against pub standard players, but apparantly it's good enough to play for us, against the best the rest of Europe can offer.

Kelleher has no issues with his distribution, none whatsoever. His main issue is his lack of game time. That didn't do Randolph much harm up until last year, and we managed.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    You wonder why Kelleher never went out on loan actually. Is it just that he got kind of fast-tracked into the Liverpool first-team setup when they had the goalkeeping issues with Karius and Adrian? I do get the feeling when he was originally promoted to the bench, it was because there was no-one else and conceding ten goals in his first two games may show he wasn't up to it, but the Chelsea game in particular would suggest he's there on merit now.

Or was there an element that at, say, 19 he was behind in development but has caught up since?
    He was No. 3 at Liverpool in 2019. So he got the best of both worlds. He could play the League Cup rounds, sit on the bench for the senior team occasionally, and still play for the PL2 team every week. He didn't need to go on loan anywhere. As No. 2, he's now very much a valued member of the matchday squad.

Karius career at Liverpool was over after his experiences in Kiev. He's been told that, but he won't go until his contract expires. He got one pre season friendly this season, for half an hour, and still he conceded. He's not a factor in any goalkeeping discussions at Liverpool these days.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    You realise that while you continually refer to League One as "pub standard", "awful" or similar, that it's very hard to take anything you say at all seriously?

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    That's because it is that standard. It's so bad that the teams in it spend their whole existence trying to get out and stay out of it, even prepared to go broke if necessary. International football is a world away from L1 level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    No, it's not. I don't know what pubs you do be drinking in.

Teams everywhere try to get out of the division they're in. Even the top clubs in the world are trying to get out of the Premier League, La Liga, etc.

I'll chalk that down as another profoundly ignorant mypost post

10. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    A really good, considered post OTOH but this opening line seems to be stating the obvious. I mean you and I displace Salah and VVD if Klopp thought we were better players too. And given the ease with which Klopp leaves Kelleher on the bench for dead rubber CL games and in League Cup semis to keep Allison match fit I don't think Kelleher is anywhere close to the number one shirt in Klopp's eyes. Of course he says nice things when he's asked in public but that's management 101. Kelleher has definitely earned his spot as Liverpool number 2 at the moment and in the Ireland squad and that's solid progress on 18 months ago. Where it leads to from here is still to be speculated upon. He could be the next Stuart Taylor or the next Allison.
    I was just responding to third policeman there who had said that Klopp won't play Kelleher due to the money paid for Alisson - "LFC fans I know suggested that he actually looks more secure than Allison, and that spreads to the rest of the defence. He won’t displace him because of the money Liverpool paid for Allison, and that’s his biggest problem."

12. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    No wonder teams go bust trying to get out of League One. There's no direct bus to the Championship.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    It's a little-known fact that what makes the Championship such a strong league is that no-one is trying to get promoted out of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    No, it's not. I don't know what pubs you do be drinking in.

Teams everywhere try to get out of the division they're in. Even the top clubs in the world are trying to get out of the Premier League, La Liga, etc.
    Another wrong post. They're not wanting to get out of those leagues.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    417 Posts
    Mypost has to post over on YBIG as a user called Planning because both posters have very similar posts when putting Bazunu down and bigging Kelleher up.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Another wrong post. They're not wanting to get out of those leagues.
    Did you sleep through the European Super League fiasco? Or did I imagine the whole thing? Just think how much better Kelleher would be if he was sitting on the magic bench against teams like Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus every week instead of Burnley, Watford and Norwich.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89
    posters have very similar posts when putting Bazunu down and bigging Kelleher up.
    Still don't get it sadly.

Bazunu isn't being put down. When he's playing for Portsmouth, questions are going to be asked why he's playing for Ireland, over a keeper who is equally as good as him, at a bigger club at a higher level of the game. Would you see Southgate playing a quality Exeter keeper instead of an Everton one?
    Last edited by mypost; 16/01/2022 at 6:34 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Still don't get it sadly.

Bazunu isn't being put down. When he's playing for Portsmouth, questions are going to be asked why he's playing for Ireland, over a keeper who is equally as good as him, at a bigger club at a higher level of the game. Would you see Southgate playing a quality Exeter keeper instead of an Everton one?
    Now they are equally as good as each other? Bazunu has really gone up in your estimation over the past few posts.

If that's the case, and you've said it so you must think it, then you'd obviously pick the younger player with more match sharpness. More time to improve, higher ceiling and better prepared.

Southgate has made more than a few questionable calls, starting the Everton keeper being one of them fwiw.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Klopp could put an end to this ~ ~ Play Kelleher ~ ~ I blame Klopp.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Klopp could put an end to this ~ ~ Play Kelleher ~ ~ I blame Klopp.
    Or sign Bazunu as they were rumoured to be looking at.....

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Or sign Bazunu as they were rumoured to be looking at.....
    Has Klopp got an agenda ? ~ To torture the Irish National Team supporters ! !

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    He's a closet Travers fan in reality.

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand
    you'd obviously pick the younger player with more match sharpness. More time to improve, higher ceiling and better prepared.

Southgate has made more than a few questionable calls, starting the Everton keeper being one of them fwiw.
    That however, doesn't answer the question. Would Southgate select an on loan keeper at Exeter if he had the choice, over an Everton keeper at the top level? If the answer is no, then why are we doing it in our case?

At international level, you get to face quality strikers at the peak of their abilities. Kelleher has European Cup group stage experience. He faced the European Champions in his last league game, made some incredible saves, and his performance was praised by every pundit and commentator who saw it, in front of a live audience of about 200 countries. He hasn't conceded a goal for us yet either. But we're still insisting on playing someone from Portsmouth. It just doesn't make any sense.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    I was just responding to third policeman there who had said that Klopp won't play Kelleher due to the money paid for Alisson - "LFC fans I know suggested that he actually looks more secure than Allison, and that spreads to the rest of the defence. He won’t displace him because of the money Liverpool paid for Allison, and that’s his biggest problem."

Aldridge criticised Allison’s panicky and misplaced clearances today on LFCTV commentary. Kelleher’s calm and confidence with the ball at his feet when he’s played is pretty impressive.

Page 36 of 78 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast