Cork v Athlone
    Cabinteely v Galway
    UCD v Bray

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Lots of interesting Matches
    Pats v Derry , a chance for Pats to really push themselves forward as title challengers but also for Derry lose and they are becoming a story before the season even gets going.
    Dundalk Bohs, pressure on both , bohs have looked poor so expect dundalk to win ...my record in predictions league should make dundalk nervous.
    Harps Waterford , big chance for both clubs to cement a positive start to season against expectations for both.
    Sligo v Rovers , a chance to see a) are Sligo as good as 7 points from 9 looks and b) have Rovers the strength to go and win in tough places like last year.
    Longford v Drogs bit like Harps v Waterford, a chance to really make a good start into a great one for either club.

First division
    third round of games will allow a few conclusions to start being drawn , are Galway going to put up a challenge, are Athlone dark horses.
    Cabo are a surprise to me as apparently they have almost zero budget, might get found out.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Fair dues to you for starting these each week btw - always good to get the bit of chat going early.

Cabo have played Wexford (probably favourites to finish bottom) and Cork (who knows what's going on there, but they scraped by at home to Cobh, who lost 4-0 at home to UCD), so their position may be a bit inflated early doors.

Bray is a big test for us - we've looked a bit more solid than last year, but our big issue was failing to take any points off the top half. If we can take a draw off Bray, I'd be happy we've improved on last year. But the FD is shaping up to be a genuinely tight division, so I think there's a long way to go yet before there's a bit of shape put on it.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Treaty very lucky not to have conceded so far. As we improve in fitness we should have more legs in the final 30 mins of games, and we need to avoid silly red cards to stop being forced into a defensive effort also.

Very early days but Cobh seem to be pretty weak so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Very downbeat about our prospects after the first two games and Friday night v Athlone might give us another harsh barometer of where we stand. Still early days mind. Very weird start to the season results wise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    I wouldn’t be confident of any sort of a result this weekend. Dundalk played well against Rovers, with the woodwork winning MOTM. While we don’t know who to play or how to play so far this season. So in summary we are probably going to play our best game of the season to-date and come home with all 3 points!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    On a side note the Battle of the Rovers could and should be a cracking game. Very impressed with Sligo so far and they might be the surprise team this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Fair dues to you for starting these each week btw - always good to get the bit of chat going early.

Cabo have played Wexford (probably favourites to finish bottom) and Cork (who knows what's going on there, but they scraped by at home to Cobh, who lost 4-0 at home to UCD), so their position may be a bit inflated early doors.

Bray is a big test for us - we've looked a bit more solid than last year, but our big issue was failing to take any points off the top half. If we can take a draw off Bray, I'd be happy we've improved on last year. But the FD is shaping up to be a genuinely tight division, so I think there's a long way to go yet before there's a bit of shape put on it.
    Cheers,
    Yes i agree first division will be very interesting this year.
    Your match against Bray will tell a lot, Shels were probably lucky to get a point against Bray so they will be a stiff test for you.
    Shels and Galway were the smart calls for promotion and are both starting awfully slowly,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Pressure on a few teams in both divisions even this early,
    Dundalk, Bohs and Derry in the Premier and Cork, Galway and maybe Shels in the first but you'd expect Shels to be comfortable against Wexford.

Looking at the odds Sligo at 4/1 at home be worth a punt and maybe Waterford nearly 4's against us after a decent result last week, but honestly you wouldn't be surprised with any result in any game with how the season has started.....
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Pressure on a few teams in both divisions even this early,
    Dundalk, Bohs and Derry in the Premier and Cork, Galway and maybe Shels in the first but you'd expect Shels to be comfortable against Wexford.

Looking at the odds Sligo at 4/1 at home be worth a punt and maybe Waterford nearly 4's against us after a decent result last week, but honestly you wouldn't be surprised with any result in any game with how the season has started.....
    Ah the real pressure is on relegation threatened Ollie!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    On a side note the Battle of the Rovers could and should be a cracking game. Very impressed with Sligo so far and they might be the surprise team this year.
    I haven’t been that impressed with us. Thought we looked good against Dundalk alright but not sure how strong that form line is and we were not good against Waterford or Longford. Saturday will tell us a lot more.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    I know it's only two games in but Sligo looks certs for Europe at least. This will be our toughest game so far.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    I haven’t been that impressed with us. Thought we looked good against Dundalk alright but not sure how strong that form line is and we were not good against Waterford or Longford. Saturday will tell us a lot more.
    Winning games when you're not playing well is a sign of a good team, to be fair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    As I said we’ll have a better idea of where we are after the game on Saturday. After 4 games last year we had 0 points and we ended up in Europe.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Three different performances from us so far alright.
    Good against Dundalk.
    Good in spells against what could be a decent Waterford side. I think Sheedy is getting them organised and they are going to be hard to beat this season. It was a good time to get them.
    Against Longford there was a clear change in tactics, with our little bit extra in quality making the difference.
    Id take your point that we haven't been impressive but we have been mixing it up and still doing well which is encouraging. Saturday will tell a tale as you said. Id still expect Shams to win the league this season.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    As I said we’ll have a better idea of where we are after the game on Saturday. After 4 games last year we had 0 points and we ended up in Europe.
    The season has yet to bed in and form will too, Dundalk fan clinging on here! This time last year to this is completely chalk and cheese so as a Dundalk fan I hope the same happens where the poor early season form is turned around. The interruption to last season I do think helped Sligo break the rut they were getting in to and Buckley got some time to work on things - is testament to him and the club that the job got done in the end and as per preseason predictions have kicked on again imo.

Dont know how to call Dundalk v Bohs but if a side loses its serious rot kicking in. Hard to see pressure on Long happening too quick, and Bill isnt going to admit to any issues with FG so Keegan on the edge with FG appointed as interim coach....

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Three different performances from us so far alright.
    Good against Dundalk.
    Good in spells against what could be a decent Waterford side. I think Sheedy is getting them organised and they are going to be hard to beat this season. It was a good time to get them.
    Against Longford there was a clear change in tactics, with our little bit extra in quality making the difference.
    Id take your point that we haven't been impressive but we have been mixing it up and still doing well which is encouraging. Saturday will tell a tale as you said. Id still expect Shams to win the league this season.
    Yeah have to agree with your analysis on the battle between midfield in our game against yerselves. AB and AD didnt do well for us and I thought GB had a great game. Hes key to ye having a great season. LB obviously trusts him from having him at Sporting Fingal and St Pats.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    St Patrick's vs Derry 1-0, 2-0 (or 1)
    Dundalk vs Bohemians 1-0 (or 1)
    Harps vs Waterford 1-0 (best 1X)
    Longford vs Drogheda 1-1 (or X)
    Sligo vs Shamrock 0-1 (or X2)

who knows?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Derry down to ten men after half hour.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Cabo vs Galway off due to Cabo having a Covid case. Didn't the FAI not want any Covid related postponements this season? Will Galway get a walkover so?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast